John Mcginn

davidg

At the end of the day, like it or not, we are a selling club.

Is this really the case? The last player we sold was Stephen McGinn as far as I remember and before that was...erm.. so long ago I'm not sure. Recently we have paid money for Imrie.

Overall, we don't need to sell to survive so we are fairly neutral in terms of transfer buying and selling.

You're struggling with the relevance of us losing McGinn, McLean & McGowan a few weeks after you told us that we had too many midfielders?

Too many midfielders?

You'll need to quote that post for me (not that I am suggesting that you'd take anything I've posted and use it out of context, however).

Is this really the case? The last player we sold was Stephen McGinn as far as I remember and before that was...erm.. so long ago I'm not sure. Recently we have paid money for Imrie.

Overall, we don't need to sell to survive so we are fairly neutral in terms of transfer buying and selling.

Simon Lappin too.

If McGinn was playing for someone like United or Aberdeen we could ask for a lot more. Sadly we don't hype our players up as much in the papers and aren't as fashionable as some other teams.

I would like to think we could get 500k plus add ons.

No we couldn't.1eye.gif

Is it a terrible offer though? Lyle Taylor is a proven goalscorer and we could hopefully reinvest that money in the team

If it is true (if!), then I would take that. £300k is a decent fee for us and Taylor can score at this level, perfect partner for Thommo.

First rule of business if you are selling a prized asset.....

Never ever accept the first offer.

Lyle Taylor certainly knows the way to goal that is for sure, and we are crying out for additional goalscorer.

Hopefully this starts a mad mental bidding war. In McGinn we have a really special talent. He had £12M Victor Wanyama in his back pocket at Hampden and in another match.

I don't think I've seen as good a talent as John McGinn competing at the top level for decades. If he continues to develop with the same progress I see him playing in the EPL and as a Scotland international.

Just my opinion. Others may disagree. But IMHO he is ten times the player his brother was with us.

Perhaps an EPL team might take a gamble on him and pay a much larger fee with sell-ons.

Ideally they pay for him now, but allow us to use him for another season or two to aid his development.

Ultimately he will develop faster playing at a higher standard than our league.

Got to agree with all your points here, far more developed and settled player than Stephen at this age.

Let the bidding war commence if this is true. Like u if he has a better season than last he will go to an EPL team

£300k plus a decent striker isn't bad for a player with one year left on his contract.

£300k, Taylor & a loan deal for McGinn to come back here would do the trick.

Why would they let him out on loan, when he's good enough to start in their first team.

Daily Express say we've turned down a 100k bid from Sheffield United

Like Drew says that's beyond insulting - it's less than the development fee we're likely to get if/when he leaves at the end of next season! 1eye.gif

Edit - The only sense I can see is that Sheffield think they can force a deal by unsettling the player - hopefully we'll tell them where to go!

Edited by Bud the Baker

McGinn was the best young player in Scotland bar none this season. Played every week with a maturity way beyond his years. One of the best talents I have seen in decades, and that includes McCarthy, although to be fair I wasn't watching McCarthy every week.

I would love us to offer him a contract extension with important clauses for him eg first offer of £1M and he can go etc etc and tie him up for another season or two here where he can develop further and substantially increase his reputation. £300,000 is peanuts for his talent.