John Mcginn

davidg

If this 100k bid is true or even the 300k bid plus Taylor is true then the BOD should come out and say to the papers that these bids are derisory. This boy is the best young player I have seen at St Mirren. He was captain of the Scotland U19s, an under 21 internationalist, a league cup winner at the age of 18. He has outshone £12m Wanyama on two occasions against Celtic. On top of that he has cleaned up at the clubs end of season awards.

The club don't do enough to talk up our young talent - Hamilton did it a few years ago - Dundee Utd do it regularly - Goodwillie and Russell being two examples of decent players going for large sums.

Sheff utd seem to me like they think that the scottish leagues are good for picking up players on the lower end scale of 6 figure sums like they have done with scougall and mcnulty. Its not going to work this time round if they want young mcginn.

I would hope the board offer him an extension with conditions set that he can leave if a certain value is met etc aswell as sell on fees. He is the biggest prospect in the last 20 odd years imo.

If this 100k bid is true or even the 300k bid plus Taylor is true then the BOD should come out and say to the papers that these bids are derisory.

They have just done exactly that.

Following media speculation regarding player John McGinn, we can confirm that we have received an offer for John. The offer was well below our valuation of the player and was rejected immediately.

I'm not sure we could say he was the best young talent.....after all Stevie May was voted Football Writers Young Player of the Year with 27 goals.

The lad Gauld at Utd turned us over at Tannadice and the media have been raving about him.

Do the players across the league cast a vote these days? Would be interesting to know what his peers have to say.

Slight Black and White bias I expect Sonny.

Just my opinion, but McGinn is arguably the best young talent we have had since Ian Ferguson that is playing consistently at the top level and has a major honour to his name.

If he could add more goals to his game then the transfer fee could be much higher. He managed 3 this season. Gauld scored 8.

Maybe a wee bit of bias Slash but May is 21. McGinn is 18. Gauld did not play for chunks of the season and had to go on holiday as he was burnt out. Great in flashes but often binned due to to inconsistency, unlike our John. Gauld didn't make Utd's Cup Final starting eleven as he is not an automatic choice. Gauld is a great player but for me I would have had McGinn in my team before Gauld. :)

We should be looking in the same region as the Saintees are for May. Problem is teams would rather pay that bit more for a goalscorer than a midfielder.

Doesn't May still have a couple of years left on his current deal though?

John McGinns Wikipedia says he has signed for Sheffield United for 250k after they rejected our 1st bid of 100k, I think there could be something in this.

I would find that hard to believe. He is still under contract and the Club would get that amount next year as compensation when his contract runs out. It would make no sense for the Club to let him go for that just now.

I would find that hard to believe. He is still under contract and the Club would get that amount next year as compensation when his contract runs out. It would make no sense for the Club to let him go for that just now.

That'll be him away, then....whistling.gif

John McGinns Wikipedia says he has signed for Sheffield United for 250k after they rejected our 1st bid of 100k, I think there could be something in this.

Hang on. What... we've given them £250k to take him? Now that is a rotten deal.

Instead of speculating about how much he's going for due to having only a year left, why aren't we setting our stall out and firing a 2 year extension down in front of him?

He's a smart lad, he knows he'll develop into an even better player with another year or two shining in this league.