Graham Carey

ds10

TBH I'm hoping to see a couple more youngsters breaking through to join the rest.

I'd rather have that than players who've already failed at our level.

We have to at least TRY to get into the top 6.

That's the thing, we're not trying! Instead of keeping players like McGowan and spending a wee bit of the decent income we're going to get from the sale of players, I can bet that we will be more likely to promote the u20s into the first team and hang on as we usually do. Our board don't care about pushing for the top 6, this season is an ideal opportunity but we won't be pushing to achieve that, 3rd bottoms fine in the minds of our board who want out.

Even teams like st Johnstone spent a wee bit of their income to attract the likes of hasslebaink away from us and build a good strong squad which in the end achieved a top 6 place with ease and won the Scottish cup.

We're not likely to do either any time soon with our boards penny pinching attitude. The league cup win mustve come as a major shock to them because you can bet they didnt expect to be anywhere near silverware!

From the money we made selling the ground and building a smaller than was planned stadium, to getting far in the cups and winning one to reducing the playing staff and wages dramatically from last season to now reducing the managerial budget to the tv money we earn to not opening up the stadium for home friendlies due to having to pay stewards and police to now looking like we're going to earn quite a bit from McLean or McGinn or both.

Nobody is asking where all this money is going and why we continually reduce budgets, go for the cheap options and an never beat another club to offering a player wages.

I understand that it is daft to spend loads of cash and get ourselves into the same mess as 20 years ago but cmon, we must be the tightest club in scotland in every single way and have the least ambition of any club in the spfl yet our fans are exlected to keep turning up. Someone is making money at our club that we never see getting reinvested in the playing staff yet nobody ever questions anything! Until this attitude changes we will always be in a relegation dogfight.

That's the thing, we're not trying! Instead of keeping players like McGowan and spending a wee bit of the decent income we're going to get from the sale of players, I can bet that we will be more likely to promote the u20s into the first team and hang on as we usually do. Our board don't care about pushing for the top 6, this season is an ideal opportunity but we won't be pushing to achieve that, 3rd bottoms fine in the minds of our board who want out.

Even teams like st Johnstone spent a wee bit of their income to attract the likes of hasslebaink away from us and build a good strong squad which in the end achieved a top 6 place with ease and won the Scottish cup.

We're not likely to do either any time soon with our boards penny pinching attitude. The league cup win mustve come as a major shock to them because you can bet they didnt expect to be anywhere near silverware!

From the money we made selling the ground and building a smaller than was planned stadium, to getting far in the cups and winning one to reducing the playing staff and wages dramatically from last season to now reducing the managerial budget to the tv money we earn to not opening up the stadium for home friendlies due to having to pay stewards and police to now looking like we're going to earn quite a bit from McLean or McGinn or both.

Nobody is asking where all this money is going and why we continually reduce budgets, go for the cheap options and an never beat another club to offering a player wages.

I understand that it is daft to spend loads of cash and get ourselves into the same mess as 20 years ago but cmon, we must be the tightest club in scotland in every single way and have the least ambition of any club in the spfl yet our fans are exlected to keep turning up. Someone is making money at our club that we never see getting reinvested in the playing staff yet nobody ever questions anything! Until this attitude changes we will always be in a relegation dogfight.

Our budget is as big as our attendance and revenue streams allow.

We won't spend what we ain't got..!

As much as i liked him, Mcgowan was paid well over the odds in his final contract. His departure could potentially fill 3 spaces in the squad.

You say the board dont care though if ur memory spans back as far as the late 90s till present, u will find this board cares a hell of alot, so much so they are spending within our means and keeping the club you support alive.

Hasselbaink wanted three times his wage at st mirren to stay on. Boards fault again that we are not stupid enough to accept these demands?

How much do you actually think was in the bank after we sold the old lady and had a new stadium built?

We are not even at pre-season and pampers brigade are out in full force.

The club still have to pay wages during the close season when there is no income from matches etc. As for bringing on young players, it hasn't been too tough on Dundee Utd has it?

There is a lot more to running the club than just paying players and the BOD has clearly stated they will live within our means. The Fakes have a wealthy chairman as do Ross County. We don't.

Why not wait to see who comes in before doing an Elvis. Judge Tommy and the club when our new team are settled and on performances next season.

The status quo is not an option and change can bring success. We have no divine right to be in the top league or even top 6 and far bigger clubs are now plying their trade in a lower division. In a number of cases by spending money they did not have and living beyond their means. Think we are lucky we are supporting a well run club still performing at the top table despite much smaller income than many others.

BTW, be prepared for who we bring in bearing in mind reduced budgets as a result of no sponsorship for the league, reduced gate receipts now that both Edinburgh clubs are no longer in the league and likely reduced TV money.

I can understand a degree of anxiety as another signing window approaches, given the debacle last close/pre-season. That said, it is beyond silly to be experiencing sphincter twitches already.

I think we have to assume that Tommy will have learned from last season's transfer shambles, and will know that this was one of the major factors that cost Danny his job. He (and/or Brian Caldwell) has already managed to secure Kello for another year, a tremendous piece of business I would argue. We don't have any clear sense as to what the situation was with Gowser, but, if I am being honest, I was more pleased to keep Kello, than I was disappointed to lose McGowan. Had Paul stayed, I would have been fine with that, but I'm not unduly fussed that he is leaving.

It is very early days, folks. Lets try to enjoy the summer to come and relax a wee bit.

Tommy Craig is waiting till next week to speak to players he wants in at the moment these players he wants are under contract till the end of next week. Source Tommy Craig

Tommy Craig is waiting till next week to speak to players he wants in at the moment these players he wants are under contract till the end of next week. Source Tommy Craig

Feck that everyone else is tapping up who they fancy.... TC should be doing the same.

Theres no rule about talking to their agents..!

I can understand a degree of anxiety as another signing window approaches, given the debacle last close/pre-season. That said, it is beyond silly to be experiencing sphincter twitches already.

I think we have to assume that Tommy will have learned from last season's transfer shambles, and will know that this was one of the major factors that cost Danny his job. He (and/or Brian Caldwell) has already managed to secure Kello for another year, a tremendous piece of business I would argue. We don't have any clear sense as to what the situation was with Gowser, but, if I am being honest, I was more pleased to keep Kello, than I was disappointed to lose McGowan. Had Paul stayed, I would have been fine with that, but I'm not unduly fussed that he is leaving.

It is very early days, folks. Lets try to enjoy the summer to come and relax a wee bit.

Wonder if Gowser's gone on a bender to drown his sorrows..?

Hope they've handed out the shinguards on the Coatbridge polis nightshift..?

Feck that everyone else is tapping up who they fancy.... TC should be doing the same.

Reading between the lines I would say contact has already been made. Another point is these players have not been let go as their own club wants to keep them. So make your jug half full rather than half empty :)

There's no rule about not talking to the players, either. Out of contract players have been allowed to talk to other clubs since January.

There's no rule about not talking to the players, either. Out of contract players have been allowed to talk to other clubs since January.

Ah but Tam disnae do talkin till the bools season is well underway.....

All negotiations will be conducted during the wappenshaw at Lochfield....

Farahs.... Optional..!

The club still have to pay wages during the close season when there is no income from matches etc. As for bringing on young players, it hasn't been too tough on Dundee Utd has it?

There is a lot more to running the club than just paying players and the BOD has clearly stated they will live within our means. The Fakes have a wealthy chairman as do Ross County. We don't.

Why not wait to see who comes in before doing an Elvis. Judge Tommy and the club when our new team are settled and on performances next season.

The status quo is not an option and change can bring success. We have no divine right to be in the top league or even top 6 and far bigger clubs are now plying their trade in a lower division. In a number of cases by spending money they did not have and living beyond their means. Think we are lucky we are supporting a well run club still performing at the top table despite much smaller income than many others.

BTW, be prepared for who we bring in bearing in mind reduced budgets as a result of no sponsorship for the league, reduced gate receipts now that both Edinburgh clubs are no longer in the league and likely reduced TV money.

I understand both sets of views here but I think the point that Big Yards is trying to make is that we have been living with in our means since the new stadium was built and the dept was cleared, yet the quality and depth of the squad has gradually decreased since season 11/12, presumably to save money. why has this continued to happen with further reductions and continually going for the cheap option by promoting youngsters and cutting the coaching bill by promoting TM,JG and GT despite an increase in revenue through player sales etc.

We have already proved that we can live with in our means with a squad with decent depth and a handful of experienced players and quality youngsters in past seasons, so why must we leave Tommy to build a squad on pennies working with out of depth academy graduates, situations where we have only one player per position ie left back, and a solitary ageing striker.

I really Hope the BOD proves me wrong this season.

I understand both sets of views here but I think the point that Big Yards is trying to make is that we have been living with in our means since the new stadium was built and the dept was cleared, yet the quality and depth of the squad has gradually decreased since season 11/12, presumably to save money. why has this continued to happen with further reductions and continually going for the cheap option by promoting youngsters and cutting the coaching bill by promoting TM,JG and GT despite an increase in revenue through player sales etc.

We have already proved that we can live with in our means with a squad with decent depth and a handful of experienced players and quality youngsters in past seasons, so why must we leave Tommy to build a squad on pennies working with out of depth academy graduates, situations where we have only one player per position ie left back, and a solitary ageing striker.

I really Hope the BOD proves me wrong this season.

Yet it was regularly posted last season we have the best set of players for a generation? blink.png