David Van Zanten

A good player for us on the whole. I wish him all the best.

Also scored one of the most important goals in Saints history against Dundee United, thankfully saving us from having to see the wee Vanzy poking out the bottom of his mankini.

Why don't they let these guys know they're leaving before the last match of the season, so we can say a proper farewell ? So farewell DVZ and thanks for all the good times !

Who would have told him, Lennon or Craig ?

Class act.

That's how to leave a football club , genuine heartfelt sentiment.

Loved the club , a good old fashioned Saints player who has served us well over the years.

Good luck to Vanzy in the future.

Indeed. Compare to comments made by Danny Grainger when he left and you can measure the difference in class. Edited by Thorizaar

Friends of my wife and I are a couple called Bill and Cathy McDonough. They gave lodging and looked after young players coming over from Ireland trying to make it here. They spoke very highly of David, who spent time living with them. A right good kid they said. I reckon they were correct.

A right good kid, and a right good servant to our club. Best wishes DVZ.

A real part of the St Mirren family over the last 9 years. I'll always remember his cracking goal against Hibs at Love St which I think also impressed Hibs enough to sign him. He was brilliant that day. All the best David. You will always get a warm welcome when you come to visit. A great ambassador for the Club. Best of luck in you future employment.

League Cup final, half an hour into the game Saints are a goal down & lucky it's only one. The ball gets thrown out to DVZ who then easily skins a Jambo then plays it up to Thommo. A couple of passes later & it's 1-1. The rest is history & folklore.

A club legend, a class act, solid & realiable, and a really good guy.

All the best David & good luck for the future.

Thanks for everything.

Great guy, fantastic contribution to the club over a lot of years. Definitely goes with everyone's best wishes.

You can't underestimate his contribution off the field as well, such as the time on transfer deadline day when he tied up Gowser to prevent him leaving. Sterling service Vanzy.

Edited by Magic Monkey

Best memories of VZ. 1. After the League Cup final there's video clip of ST singing in the Bull Inn, as the clip finishes there's a VERY refreshed VZ in picture roaring away 'Championees' 2. Getting slagged by a Rangers fan on twitter, his comeback was 'I've won more trophies than your team'.

He has a real affection for our club, a lovely bloke. Good luck to him.

I thought Fitzy was the best decorator player........

I'll get my paint brush.

For younger readers when Tony Fitzpatrick joined St Mirren in 1973 he and others were allocated trades by the directors of the club.

Derek Hyslop did some joinery work on the old Love St turnstyle entrances when he was not carving some shapes with Bonnie Barr. I think Alex Beckett might have learned a trade that served him well in later years - another joiner as well as McGarvey? Big Billy Starsky did some TV work with Hutch.

Maybe that's what's wrong with the youth development of today......

Bahoken could surely work on the Edinburgh Trams. Over budget, late arriving, and completely un-necessary.

Wonder if Vanzy is planning to go in to coaching? He seems like a great people person, would probably be good as a coach and a good guy to have around your club.

I'm sure he will get a game in the First Division next season.

He's too good for the First Division.

At the worst, the Legend will get a gig with a SPFL Championship Team, although i reckon he'll get a contract with a SPFL Premiership Team.

Good luck Sir !!!