David Van Zanten

Why don't they let these guys know they're leaving before the last match of the season, so we can say a proper farewell ? So farewell DVZ and thanks for all the good times !

I think the fans and vanzy both knew, hence why he was brought on with 10 seconds to go. The fans sang van zantio and he looked very emotional. The fans stayed back and sang for vanzy, cheered newton and Mclean, i'd imagine most people knew it was farewell.

League Cup final, half an hour into the game Saints are a goal down & lucky it's only one. The ball gets thrown out to DVZ who then easily skins a Jambo then plays it up to Thommo. A couple of passes later & it's 1-1. The rest is history & folklore.

A club legend, a class act, solid & realiable, and a really good guy.

All the best David & good luck for the future.

Thanks for everything.

Great post for a Saints Legend.

DVZ also did the funniest column in the Scottish Sun a couple of years ago.

DVZ - The new Frank Carson

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/34579-van-zanten-hilarious/

Edited by shull

Great post for a Saints Legend.

DVZ also did the funniest column in the Scottish Sun a couple of years ago.

DVZ - The new Frank Carson

I'm sure that has just made a tough day for the guy so much better (suicide watch beckons)laugh.png

Absolute legend and one who deserves his place in the hall of fame. Can't imagine him playing anywhere else. A bit like Sir Shuggie of Murray. Best wishes Vanzy. Welcome back anytime.

He will deserve it when we can be arsed finally getting round to having his board made up. wink.png

Edited by djchapsticks

Vanzy and Saints were a tight fit. He tried a few other clubs, and like Fitzy and Shuggy before him, discovered that he was meant to be a Saint and that was where he could be the best he could be.

Great servant and a really lovely lad.

I wish him well wherever he goes... even if it is back down the river! The lad has banked enough credit to be forgiven anything that allows him to continue playing the game.

Thanks for everything David... it has been a pleasure to watch and support you lad.

Wish Vanzy all the best for the future. Great servant to the club, and has made a great contribution to helping saints go from to bottom half of the first division when he first joined the club, to where we are today. Last player with a love street connection to leave the club?

Wish Vanzy all the best for the future. Great servant to the club, and has made a great contribution to helping saints go from to bottom half of the first division when he first joined the club, to where we are today. Last player with a love street connection to leave the club?

Cheesy?

Bahoken could surely work on the Edinburgh Trams. Over budget, late arriving, and completely un-necessary.

Think you may have forgotten to add useless, not fit for purpose and continually broken to your list of complaints about the trams.....

Why is there nothing about this on the OS?. Is it in keeping with the Saints tradition of telling the fans f*ck all??

I think the Club/OS will wait till later today and will mention all the players who are either leaving or staying !

Edited by billyg

Sorry to see such a great servant and player leave. He never gave less than his all in any game he was involved in, whether it was from start or as an uncomplaining sub. One of my favourite players - I even have his boots from last years auction! I'll also miss seeing him around and about in Erskine if he moves away - always a gent. Get the Hall of Fame pic up now!!

Why is there nothing about this on the OS?. Is it in keeping with the Saints tradition of telling the fans f*ck all??

Strange. Also nothing about Thommo being made captain....

Must be saving it all up for when they annouce those high profile signings at the end of the week......lol.gif

Personally I don't agree with his last statement - most fans I know who watch Saints on a regular basis NEVER outwardly adopt that attitude - we hope the team wins, but not expect them to - regardless of the opposition - that was a very good Hearts team who had won the Scottish Cup the year before.

"With the cup final going into that game the fans expected us to win that so there was probably more relief after that one."

I certainly expected us to beat Hearts in the LC final last season, their team that day was far weaker than they'd been able to put out for the previous season's SC final and against us in an earlier round. Their starting 11 against us was maybe not so bad but they had little quality on the bench compared to Parkin, Carey, Mair and the unused Kenny McLean.

Heart of Midlothian 2012 Scottish Cup Final

• 30 MacDonald
  • 03 Grainger
  • 05 Barr
  • 06 Webster
  • 17 McGowan
  • 26 Zaliukas
  • 07 Santana (Beattie - 76' )
  • 08 Black (Robinson - 86' )
  • 11 Driver (Taouil - 84' )
  • 19 Skacel
  • 10 Elliott