Teachers - Great Idea

faraway saint

You have to love teachers.................

They came up with "in service days" to give them a few extra much needed days to play games and clap themselves on the back.

They have now drummed up another great idea, half day Fridays. clap.gif

To catch up on paperwork, I'll have you know.

This gives the poor pupils, who's parents are threatened with fines or jail if they dare ask for a week or two for a family holiday ,approx. another 16 days less a year. 1eye.gif

I'm all for it, half day Fridays for all. (That'll fcuk up the economic recovery) lol.gif

I'm as big a critic as anyone as regards teachers (for a start they should be degree qualified at 1st or 2:1 Masters level in the subject they teach AS A BARE MINIMUM), but this idea that they work so few days and hours is simply wrong.

A teacher's working week will I'm guessing be well over 45 hours. Probably approaching 60 hours. Some teachers on here might like to confirm or deny that.

They also don't get 13 weeks holiday.

Of course there will always be teachers who scam this. The problem of it being almost impossible to losing your job as a teacher is another issue entirely.

You may take some heat for this post of yours.

Edited by oaksoft

I'm as big a critic as anyone as regards teachers (for a start they should be degree qualified at 1st or 2:1 Masters level in the subject they teach AS A BARE MINIMUM), but this idea that they work so few days and hours is simply wrong.

A teacher's working week will I'm guessing be well over 45 hours. Probably approaching 60 hours. Some teachers on here might like to confirm or deny that.

They also don't get 13 weeks holiday.

Of course there will always be teachers who scam this. The problem of it being almost impossible to losing your job as a teacher is another issue entirely.

You may take some heat for this post of yours.

I sit and wait..................but I'd think your view of a rather hard job is far from the truth, and many would love to have their pay and conditions and that's before they decide to have another 16 days holiday a year...........sorry, to do paperwork.

As for the hours..................suppose it all depends how they pass these hours. whistling.gif

They don't start till almost mid morning have two lovely tea breaks and a whole hour for lunch and don't work weekends.

PS Lets not get back to the old debate, what about this great idea? punk.gif

Edited by faraway saint

I sit and wait..................but I'd think your view of a rather hard job is far from the truth, and many would love to have their pay and conditions and that's before they decide to have another 16 days holiday a year...........sorry, to do paperwork.

With respect bud you don't talk like you have the faintest idea what it takes to do that job properly.

They don't just turn up at 9am and start teaching. The preparation alone for each lesson is a right pain in the arse.

The rule of thumb at university is that each hour lecture requires several hours of preparation.

Schools need to tailor lessons to the specific students. Uni is much easier in that respect - one size fits all.

I know I've done some fill in teaching. Never again.

You are underestimating how hard it is.

Of course there are harder jobs……….but it's not the breeze you think it is.

With respect bud you don't talk like you have the faintest idea what it takes to do that job properly.

They don't just turn up at 9am and start teaching. The preparation alone for each lesson is a right pain in the arse.

The rule of thumb at university is that each hour lecture requires several hours of preparation.

Schools need to tailor lessons to the specific students. Uni is much easier in that respect - one size fits all.

I know I've done some fill in teaching. Never again.

You are underestimating how hard it is.

Of course there are harder jobs……….but it's not the breeze you think it is.

With respect I do as I currently work in a college, close enough.

Not for much longer as I hate the amount of people who have no idea about efficiency, customer care and quality improvement.

Stop fudging and blurring the issue with your University angle.

With respect I do as I currently work in a college, close enough.

Not for much longer as I hate the amount of people who have no idea about efficiency, customer care and quality improvement.

Stop fudging and blurring the issue with your University angle.

I'll stop if you also stop fudging with your college angle.

Anyone who is a teacher or even married to one will know all about the huge changes that have taken place with the schools which might not be best for the child with all the admin work going on. What a difference I see in my own wife's health since she went part time to two days a week. Often here comments of my god you look so well these days kind of sums up what's going on in schools and how out of touch some people are in its understanding on how it works these day's.

f**k off Oaksoft. Many of these teachers present the same lessons over and over again, year in, year out. At most their lesson might need a small tweak here or there but lets not kid anyone on they aren't a hard working sector of the community. I doubt there is a single teacher that puts in much more than 25 hours of real work a week when they are at school and there's not many will even take an interest in schooling matters over the summer unless they have taken extra money to mark exam papers.

I've said in the past we should scrap the long holidays and short working hours that teachers feel entitled to and we should either have them running summer clubs and classes for kids, or put them out working with the council sorting out the rubbish at recycling plants, or working in the parks

Gentlemen, lets not go down the old "schoolteacher" route.

I'm trying to point out the ludicrous idea they feel they need to cut their work by 10%.

Really?

Get a grip. thumbdown.gif

Aw be fair faraway saint. I think it's fair enough. They cut their work by 10% and we'll cut their pay and benefits by the same. I'm sure no-one will notice any difference

f**k off Oaksoft. Many of these teachers present the same lessons over and over again, year in, year out. At most their lesson might need a small tweak here or there but lets not kid anyone on they aren't a hard working sector of the community. I doubt there is a single teacher that puts in much more than 25 hours of real work a week when they are at school and there's not many will even take an interest in schooling matters over the summer unless they have taken extra money to mark exam papers.

I've said in the past we should scrap the long holidays and short working hours that teachers feel entitled to and we should either have them running summer clubs and classes for kids, or put them out working with the council sorting out the rubbish at recycling plants, or working in the parks

Honestly Stuart you have not got a clue

Doesn't everyone do half day Fridays?

Some places do, if they work longer hours during the week.................I don't think the nice teachers are planning this as they have badminton and stuff to do.

Funny, I don't see playing games or marking the 3 times table as hard work, suppose that's the difference. rolleyes.gif

Some places do, if they work longer hours during the week.................I don't think the nice teachers are planning this as they have badminton and stuff to do.

Funny, I don't see playing games or marking the 3 times table as hard work, suppose that's the difference. rolleyes.gif

What is it that you do - workwise?

some people seem awfy obsessed with teachers .............anyone who thinks teachers work 9-3 and if they think its all singing songs and doing 'gym' are deluded.

holidays - aye ye need them I worked in a special needs school for 8yrs as a classroom assistant but was VERY involved in the class, I took groups for lessons, I helped out with physio and hydro on a one to one, I had the pleasure of 15kids to pick up and drop off from school. I LOVED the holidays it was a draining job at times. I was young! Now tho having been out in the big bad world plenty folk could do with more holidays - we all could no matter what full time job you in. I worked pt in a care home for a while - some of these girls working 4 and 5 back to back 12hr shifts for minimum wage - ooft! Teachers went to study and get their degree so aye they shouldn't be on NMW, but these girls and guys looking after our mums, grans, dads and papas by god they deserve more.

Half day Friday's I would say no plainly for the reason that kids will be even worse to get out of bed if they know its only for a few hrs haha.

Finally - see if this easy life teachers have (you think) go train and get the job and enjoy it instead of moaning about it! I for one certainly wouldn't want to be in a class all day with kids no matter what holidays I got!

Anyone who is a teacher or even married to one will know all about the huge changes that have taken place with the schools which might not be best for the child with all the admin work going on. What a difference I see in my own wife's health since she went part time to two days a week. Often here comments of my god you look so well these days kind of sums up what's going on in schools and how out of touch some people are in its understanding on how it works these day's.

I heard it was because of all the time you spend working away from home.She said its better than going to a respite centre.Only kidding Iain but it may just coincide with your home in Ardbeg.I know I feel so much more relaxed when I,m in Arrochar.Ps there is no way in gods earth I could be a teacher.Weans are cheeky wee baskets and I would want to punch their daddies at parents night(that's if they bothered to turn up).

some people seem awfy obsessed with teachers .............anyone who thinks teachers work 9-3 and if they think its all singing songs and doing 'gym' are deluded.

holidays - aye ye need them I worked in a special needs school for 8yrs as a classroom assistant but was VERY involved in the class, I took groups for lessons, I helped out with physio and hydro on a one to one, I had the pleasure of 15kids to pick up and drop off from school. I LOVED the holidays it was a draining job at times. I was young! Now tho having been out in the big bad world plenty folk could do with more holidays - we all could no matter what full time job you in. I worked pt in a care home for a while - some of these girls working 4 and 5 back to back 12hr shifts for minimum wage - ooft! Teachers went to study and get their degree so aye they shouldn't be on NMW, but these girls and guys looking after our mums, grans, dads and papas by god they deserve more.

Half day Friday's I would say no plainly for the reason that kids will be even worse to get out of bed if they know its only for a few hrs haha.

Finally - see if this easy life teachers have (you think) go train and get the job and enjoy it instead of moaning about it! I for one certainly wouldn't want to be in a class all day with kids no matter what holidays I got!

Before anyone starts jumping on Miss Saints suggestion of becoming a teacher I should add that you'll need to get a degree first and then you'll need to get onto the one year postgraduate teaching course. Good luck getting a place. Prospective candidates queue round the block for these courses. After that you'll then be on a probationary year - guaranteed. After that though, more than 80% of newly trained teachers end up not being teachers as there are very few jobs. Of those jobs which are available, getting a permanent job is REALLY tough. It's a very difficult profession to break into.

Before anyone starts jumping on Miss Saints suggestion of becoming a teacher I should add that you'll need to get a degree first and then you'll need to get onto the one year postgraduate teaching course. Good luck getting a place. Prospective candidates queue round the block for these courses. After that you'll then be on a probationary year - guaranteed. After that though, more than 80% of newly trained teachers end up not being teachers as there are very few jobs. Of those jobs which are available, getting a permanent job is REALLY tough. It's a very difficult profession to break into.

I'm sure they realised they had to get a degree at the least and it was tongue in cheek............they wouldn't be able to sit on here all day if they had a class hehe

Don't knock half day Fridays..I get them and can vouch that they are quality punk.gif

Seriously though, how productive are kids on a Friday afternoon anyway? Why not let them away and give the teachers some time to catch up on the ridiculous amount of paperwork they now need to do.

ETA: You couldn't pay me enough to try and teach teenagers.. at least half of them are evil wee bastards .

Edited by irvine_buddie

Schools in Renfrewshire finish at 2.50pm on a Friday presently , just now the exams are taking place and if a pupil has as little as two National 5 exams they are allowed over a month of study leave and that is even if the exams they have are in the first couple of days . The reason for this is that the Teachers need to prepare , for what I don't know half their students are at home on study leave.

Edited by linwood buddie

Odd, I have found myself in agreement with SD for the first time ever.

Regarding the summer clubs, some teachers already help out but as they are working their holiday they get double pay... you couldn't make it up.