For The Auld Timers .....

Back in the day ... http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/juniors/from-european-ties-to-life-with-the-farmers-boys-denis-has-loved-it-164343n.24278516

Edit to Add: Denis was a hero of mine although I can remember in a game with Celtic against Airdie at Broomfield he threw the ball into his own net for an own goal when trying to throw it out to a full-back smile.png

Edited by Sonny

Great keeper - and not a bad outfield player as well. He turned out for the reserves wearing the No.7 jersey a couple of times (in those days we only travelled to the nearby away games and the reserves always played on Saturdays so the old enclosure was pretty full for these games). Where are the characters like Denis in the modern game! spudnikconfounded.gif

He was a great goalie I seem to remember when he went to Celtic they played Airdrie and Denis ether throw the ball into his own net or kicked it into his own net under no pressure what a scream.

Yes, he threw the ball into his own net trying to throw it out to a teammate. Got dogs abuse, as you can imagine.

Denis trivia question - The last goal he conceded for St Mirren and the first he conceded for Celtic were both scored , three days apart, by the same player at the same ground. That player's son later played for the Saints. Any oldies out there know who?

Denis trivia question - The last goal he conceded for St Mirren and the first he conceded for Celtic were both scored , three days apart, by the same player at the same ground. That player's son later played for the Saints. Any oldies out there know who?

Was it Ian Camerons da?

Yes, he threw the ball into his own net trying to throw it out to a teammate. Got dogs abuse, as you can imagine.

I remember that There was a picture in the papers of Jock Stein bent double in fits of laughter!!

I liked Denis tae.

He, along with Jim Thorburn, were the Saints goalies when i first started going to matches.

I beat Denis at Pool years ago at his local, the Travellers Rest in Neilston.

I felt ashamed beating one of my heroes. ( there was money at stake and a Trophy )

Great keeper - and not a bad outfield player as well. He turned out for the reserves wearing the No.7 jersey a couple of times (in those days we only travelled to the nearby away games and the reserves always played on Saturdays so the old enclosure was pretty full for these games). Where are the characters like Denis in the modern game! spudnikconfounded.gif

Attended those reserve games too! I'm sure big Denis (I was wee at the time) scored a hat trick in one of the games - pretty good going for a Goalie!

Without looking up the net nope no chance with that one Billy ? Curious for the answer see if any other oldies get it first. Tom is good with these sort of questions.

Who's Tom?

I liked Denis tae.

He, along with Jim Thorburn, were the Saints goalies when i first started going to matches.

I beat Denis at Pool years ago at his local, the Travellers Rest in Neilston.

I felt ashamed beating one of my heroes. ( there was money at stake and a Trophy )

i remember playing against him in the P+D leagues