Division Bell

Vinyl version coming out on double album from the 'analogue' tape to 180g vinyl.

The tracks were cut short to fit on CD this vinyl version has the full lenth tracks for the first time.

In case anyone interested out 30th June can be pre-ordered amazon

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

Meh

Piper at the gates of dawn

Atom Heart Mother

and

Saucerful of Secrets

were more my cup of tea. Sid Barrett really was brilliant, I can recommend his album "Barrett" with the songs "baby lemonade" and "The effervescing elephant".

The division bell is okay but then again so was Neil Orr and he does not often get a mention on here!

Meh

Atom Heart Mother

and

Saucerful of Secrets

were more my cup of tea. Sid Barrett really was brilliant, I can recommend his album "Barrett" with the songs "baby lemonade" and "The effervescing elephant".

The division bell is okay but then again so was Neil Orr and he does not often get a mention on here!

Meh

Atom Heart Mother

and

Saucerful of Secrets

Sine On You Crazy Diamond - Floyd always the first track on any live concert was written for Sid.

Try this though price has jumped up since I bought it should be available in CD cheaper it's the best sounding early Floyd album I have ever heard and Barrett is playing in the band....Pink Floyd Live in London '66-'67

It's before Floyd recorded their first album 'The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn' It's a very high quality recording

Sine On You Crazy Diamond - Floyd always the first track on any live concert was written for Sid.

Try this though price has jumped up since I bought it should be available in CD cheaper it's the best sounding early Floyd album I have ever heard and Barrett is playing in the band....Pink Floyd Live in London '66-'67

It's before Floyd recorded their first album 'The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn' It's a very high quality recording

Ah yes. There was always the story that Sid (Barrett, not the banned poster from this forum) had been estranged from the band for several years when he walked into the recording studio just as they happened to be recording Shine on. We will never know if that is true or whether it was a story invented by the record company for a bit of publicity. I shall have a look for that particular recording, very early as it is recodrd before Arnold Layne or at least recorded before Arnold Layne became Pink Floyd's first hit.

Shine on you crazy diamond (parts 1 and 2) are wonderful pieces of music. Occasionally I will listen to "shine on" whilst sitting in my living room, alone with a wee dram.

The stories of Sid's misbehaviour (mibbe it is something in the name) are legion. My mate at worktold me on one of their early visits to the US, when they landed at JFK, the rest of the band turned right at the exit to follow the limo driver, Sid turned left, and nobody saw him again for 5 days when he turned up at a hotel in Chicago. (the band at that stage were in Houston)

The stories of Sid's misbehaviour (mibbe it is something in the name) are legion. My mate at worktold me on one of their early visits to the US, when they landed at JFK, the rest of the band turned right at the exit to follow the limo driver, Sid turned left, and nobody saw him again for 5 days when he turned up at a hotel in Chicago. (the band at that stage were in Houston)

If they were in Houstoun, how did they see him in Chicago? Did they have an early prototype of Skype?

They actually released a very good 'best of' Pink Floyd double CD that is well thought-out and songs from all eras are thoughtfully segued together. It works brilliantly as an album in its own right.

If I had to choose one album though, would plump for 'Wish You Were Here'.

For me The Wall was the beginning of the end. A pale imitation and soul-less rubbish in my view (I can hear the howls of derision already...but you know I'm right) and everything since was even worse.

Animals was the first LP I bought and for nostalgic reasons alone remains my fav, though it's not their best.

A mate of mine once did some building work in the mid 80s for Dave Gilmour. He brought them out a tray of tea, hobnobs and a jazz fag. Top man. No idea how the job turned out after that...holiday.gif Dark Side of the Moon via headphones unbeatable, production perfection.

By the way, if you ever get the chance to see tribute band Think Floyd, go.

Edited by Barney63

For me The Wall was the beginning of the end. A pale imitation and soul-less rubbish in my view (I can hear the howls of derision already...but you know I'm right) and everything since was even worse.

Animals was the first LP I bought and for nostalgic reasons alone remains my fav, though it's not their best.

A mate of mine once did some building work in the mid 80s for Dave Gilmour. He brought them out a tray of tea, hobnobs and a jazz fag. Top man. No idea how the job turned out after that...holiday.gif Dark Side of the Moon via headphones unbeatable, production perfection.

Take a leading member out of a band you end up with writing problems. However the two studio albums that followed Waters departure were good albums while amazing live gigs continued. Attended Earls Court Pulse tour. I'm in my mid fifties and still attend gigs have yet to see anything come close to that Pulse tour. . The Wall while good gets a bit boring then the left overs made up The Final Cut which proved to be true as this was the reason for the break up of the band. It was put out on Waters nod only the rest of the band knew nothing until it was out. No matter what one of the best bands in our life time.

Ah yes. There was always the story that Sid (Barrett, not the banned poster from this forum) had been estranged from the band for several years when he walked into the recording studio just as they happened to be recording Shine on. We will never know if that is true or whether it was a story invented by the record company for a bit of publicity. I shall have a look for that particular recording, very early as it is recodrd before Arnold Layne or at least recorded before Arnold Layne became Pink Floyd's first hit.

Shine on you crazy diamond (parts 1 and 2) are wonderful pieces of music. Occasionally I will listen to "shine on" whilst sitting in my living room, alone with a wee dram.

I watched a documentary on the making of Wish You Were Here and the band members confirmed this to be true.

IIRC it was Dave Gilmour who said that they had noticed somebody in the control room with the engineers while they were laying down Shine On You crazy Diamond, none of them recognised him until the producer informed them that it was Sid, who had heard they were recording and just turned up to have a look.

They said he was very quiet, wished them well with the album and left.

Maybe so, but Comfortably Numb is still the best track to play at full volume after a few sherbets!

It has been a while since I looked out my old Pink Floyd collection but I had a wee listen last night to some of my favoutite tracks. I shall post a wee lyric and see if you can guess the track (no googling)

Saucerful of sercrets - "had a wooden leg......he won it in the war......1944"

Piper at the gates of dawn - "named Grenville Cromble, a little gnome stays in his home, eating, sleeping, drinking the wine"

Wish you were here - "your gonnae go far, your gonne fly, you aint never gonnae die, your gonne make it if you try there gone love you"

The Wall - "mama's gonnae keep you right here under her wing, she wont let you fly but she might let you sing,"

Dark Side of the moon "and the general sat as the lines on the map they moved from side to side"

Relics (a compilation I know) - "Moonshine, washing line"

Ummagumma - "lotus's lean on each other in yearning"

The Final cut - "and in the corner of some foreign field the gunner sleeps tonight, whats done is done"

Momentary lapse of reason - "from the pale and down trodden, and the words they say which we won't understand, don't accept that whats happening is just a case of all the suffering or you'll find that your joining in"

A bit of fun for us aged and ancient music fans.

It's all part of the 20th anniversary.

I fecking hate reissues, so unless I suddenly come into a large sum of money they can whistle for the box set.

Or do I wait for the 25th, 30th, 40th or perhaps the 50th will include a 3D holodeck where you can time travel back to a Floyd gig. Maybe I've smoked too many spliffs. Nah. Never.

http://www.divisionbell20.com

I do like album art work, so might be very tempted by the vinyl.

I fecking hate reissues, so unless I suddenly come into a large sum of money they can whistle for the box set.

Or do I wait for the 25th, 30th, 40th or perhaps the 50th will include a 3D holodeck where you can time travel back to a Floyd gig. Maybe I've smoked too many spliffs. Nah. Never.

There is a big difference here. You can't buy the Division Bell on vinyl any more while the new copy is being taken from the analogue tape so you are not getting a digital copy on vinyl like so many recordings on vinyl today. No box set , no anniversary multi recordings of different albums.

The Wall is worth buying simply for the guitar solo in 'Comfortably Numb'. One of the best solos I've ever heard.

I know a lot of people cite it as Floyd's last true peak (and I absolutely don't doubt they pulled off a lot of great gigs after The Wall - with such a repertoire they could hardly fail, but it and the following albums just never connected with me. I'm sure Gilmour said it was the easiest solo he ever played. Modest chap.

Must mention Live at Pompeii - Director's Cut. Fantastic live performances and great interviews and vignettes, apple pie banter and a singing dog. Who could ask for more? Light one up, sit back and set the controls for the heart of the sun...

For modern prog Steven Wilson is the man - his solo stuff goes waaay beyond everyone else.

The Wall is worth buying simply for the guitar solo in 'Comfortably Numb'. One of the best solos I've ever heard.

Which one? whistling.gif

I love how folk will post an opinion that will be against the general concensus then justify it by saying "you know I'm right". No; I don't. Cos you're not. Okay-dokay? bye1.gif

I'll give this a bash:-

It has been a while since I looked out my old Pink Floyd collection but I had a wee listen last night to some of my favoutite tracks. I shall post a wee lyric and see if you can guess the track (no googling)

Saucerful of sercrets - "had a wooden leg......he won it in the war......1944" Corporal Clegg?

Piper at the gates of dawn - "named Grenville Cromble, a little gnome stays in his home, eating, sleeping, drinking the wine" Dunno

Wish you were here - "your gonnae go far, your gonne fly, you aint never gonnae die, your gonne make it if you try there gone love you" Have a Cigar*

The Wall - "mama's gonnae keep you right here under her wing, she wont let you fly but she might let you sing," Mother

Dark Side of the moon "and the general sat as the lines on the map they moved from side to side" Us and Them

Relics (a compilation I know) - "Moonshine, washing line" Dunno; Candy and a Current Bun?

Ummagumma - "lotus's lean on each other in yearning" Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

The Final cut - "and in the corner of some foreign field the gunner sleeps tonight, whats done is done" The Gunner's Dream**

Momentary lapse of reason - "from the pale and down trodden, and the words they say which we won't understand, don't accept that whats happening is just a case of all the suffering or you'll find that your joining in" On the Turning Away***

A bit of fun for us aged and ancient music fans.

* Love the line "The band is just fantastic that is really what I think; by the way, which one's Pink?"
** Some of the lyrics on that album are absolutely superb, in particular The Post War Dream

*** Have a look at the front cover of the single version of that & see where Banksy got inspiration for a recent work.

The link is to a brilliant DVD of David Gilmour doing stripped down Floyd songs from 2002 with various musicians done in a way very similar to the 'Unplugged' sessions. One of the best music DVD's I have seen with 'Stop Making Sense' the other by Talking Heads which is a available in Bly Ray now making the viewing excellent.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Gilmour-Concert-DVD/dp/B00006FR4D/ref=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1401107573&sr=1-3&keywords=David+Gilmour

I'll give this a bash:-

* Love the line "The band is just fantastic that is really what I think; by the way, which one's Pink?"

** Some of the lyrics on that album are absolutely superb, in particular The Post War Dream

*** Have a look at the front cover of the single version of that & see where Banksy got inspiration for a recent work.

Good effort Howardy Hugh

The marks are as follows

1) Correct

2) you passed - boooo

3) Correct

4) Correct

5) Wrong - boooo

6) Correct

7) Correct

8) Correct

6/8 is not bad at all my forum friend, not bad at all. I have a feeling you may kick yourself with number 5. Number 2 is certianly a track (as is the entire album) for the efficianado so do not be too hard on yourself.

Well done, well done indeed.

* Yes its a great line. The apparent statement made by the record producer following the success of dark side of the moon. It also includes "Its a hell of a start, you gottae get an album out, it could be mande into a monster if we all pull together as a team". Im singing it now as I type.

** Yes. Wonderfully written by Roger Waters. Just wonderful.

*** Im googling it now, or I would be but I am replying to you but as soon as I have replied I will get googling.

Edited by TediousTom