Conor Newton Signs For Rotherham

My memory of Conor Newton is 2 things mainly. My mate Kev kissing him on the head in whatever that nightclub in New St is called these days after the League Cup victory, and me shaking his hand telling him he was 'f**king magic', and the other is my mum's 70th birthday at hospitality, where she shouted out his name as he walked past. He stopped, and came over for one of many famous 'cupping' photographs...

If you don't know what they are, you should ask me or Luther G.Presley next time you see us...

Maybe I'll post a picture, if I can be bothered!

I'm happy that he has got a move which he is happy with, and having played with us as a Newcastle youth, it now looks very very likely that he will make a living from football. What a great result for him! I didn't like his first game for us, but then he quickly became a real part of the team and some brilliant performances and goals.

That goal at Hampden was not just a beautiful move finished with a stunning strike, but it was the single most unbelievable few seconds I've ever experienced supporting saints. I was too young for the 87 final, and I was never sure I'd ever experience a moment like that. That Newton goal is something I'll remember everything about for the rest of my life.
I'm sure it's not just me. I hope Conor knows that thousands of fans will remember him for that for the rest of their lives.

I wish Conor all the very best for his future career. He has some talent, works hard and has a good attitude so deserves to do well. However, without wanting to be controversial, I never rated him. Yes, he scored a goal in the cup final to write himself into folklore but he was anonymous in far too many games (sometimes for weeks on end) and struggled to influence games in the same way that our other midfielders could.

Just my opinion though and as I say, I wish the boy all the best.

I wish Conor all the very best for his future career. He has some talent, works hard and has a good attitude so deserves to do well. However, without wanting to be controversial, I never rated him. Yes, he scored a goal in the cup final to write himself into folklore but he was anonymous in far too many games (sometimes for weeks on end) and struggled to influence games in the same way that our other midfielders could.

Just my opinion though and as I say, I wish the boy all the besSo

So, in other words,thanks for THAT goal,thought you were generally pish but all the best mate ? Spot on

I'd agree with a couple of the above points, it's dissapointing we can't compete with a third tier English side for wages but that's the way of things at the moment. Having just read of the amount of debt the Championship clubs have though you have to wonder how much longer it will go on for.

I'd agree with Mr Lizard too, while Newton will forever be a legend for his cup winning goal, he was in my opinion nowhere near the quality we need and really struggled to pass the ball. And that is quite a handicap for a midfielder.

Just my opinion though and as I say, I wish the boy all the best.

So, in other words,thanks for THAT goal,thought you were generally pish but all the best mate ? Spot on

Pretty much, yes. Just my opinion.

I'd agree with a couple of the above points, it's dissapointing we can't compete with a third tier English side for wages but that's the way of things at the moment. Having just read of the amount of debt the Championship clubs have though you have to wonder how much longer it will go on for.

I'd agree with Mr Lizard too, while Newton will forever be a legend for his cup winning goal, he was in my opinion nowhere near the quality we need and really struggled to pass the ball. And that is quite a handicap for a midfielder.

FFS !

Great guy and I wish him all the best. Met him a few times and he always had time for a chat and picture. Forever grateful for that glorious day. He should be welcomed back with open arms whenever he ventures north.

Ginger hair is once again acceptable.

I disagree with the folk saying he wasn't good enough. He was more than good enough in 2012/13 and the vast majority of us were delighted to have him back for last season.

It was just a shame for both him and us that we had to accommodate him in an uncomfortable position last season. He isn't, nor will he ever be a right midfielder/winger. When he moved back into the middle towards the end of the season, he proved exactly what he could offer to our central midfield.

Good luck Conor. No matter what happens, you're a part of our folklore now and forever. Not bad for a lad who hadn't kicked a ball professionally for a first team before he came here.

A bit OTT, no?

Your comments were nothing like as bad as others. There are times when the adage about if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all should apply. Conor Newton gave his best for our team and that goal was so special. Can invective not be reserved for opposition assholes who deserve it?

Nobody was being abusive, this is an open forum for discussion of the team and the merits of the players. I think the guy will obviously always be a hero for that goal but I'm surprised English clubs seem to hold him in higher regard than McLean, McGinn, McGowan or any of our midfielders to be honest.

I'm pretty surprised at Dummet going back to the Newcastle first team too to be honest.

Best of luck to him of course, hope he goes on to join Paul in playing at the top level.

Some folk don't know when to wrap up. Maybe it makes them feel big or smart. Sad f**ks.

Your comments were nothing like as bad as others. There are times when the adage about if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all should apply. Conor Newton gave his best for our team and that goal was so special. Can invective not be reserved for opposition assholes who deserve it?

What is *really* sad is pricks like you being abusive to fellow buds and acting the hard man.

Stop getting wide.

Edited by Moustache of Hyslop