Glasgow School Of Art Fire

Guest TPAFKATS

It depends whether they are studying for a degree which comes as either a pass or a fail or whether there is a classification scheme such as 1st, 2nd etc. where the difference can be career defining and by extension affect your entire life.

Bit dramatic oakster IMO

As a Student at GSA studying the Mackintosh, today has been heartbreaking. From total destruction to the building, 90% of the structure has been saved and 70% of the contents has also been saved. Sadly it looks as if the Mackintosh lecture theatre, the hen run and the library is gone.

Feel for all those who have worked so hard on their degree show for this to happen. Everyone got out quickly with no one hurt so that's the main thing. I'm hoping that it will be in a state of repair that students can get back in come september.

it's only a building and some paintings etc, it will be rebuilt but hopefully not with public money, main thing is nobody was hurt, paintings can be painted again and buildings can be rebuilt,

its not just a buliding to the art students its there home in a sence, this building is a fantistic place to look at and see pure creativity all must be done to save it and resurect it. with public money or not it must be done.

its not just a buliding to the art students its there home in a sence, this building is a fantistic place to look at and see pure creativity all must be done to save it and resurect it. with public money or not it must be done.

sorry i'm just apathetic towards art - i don't think it is needed, it's far better looking at and walking through the countryside, instead of listening to some twat telling you you can see all different things in a painting of a vase, it's just people pretending to be intelligent and all agreeing with each other that a pile of bricks is very significant lol.gif

it's only a building and some paintings etc, it will be rebuilt but hopefully not with public money, main thing is nobody was hurt

Main thing is no one was hurt. However, it's not "only a building", that implies it has the same status as a supermarket, identikit housing estate or shitty office block.

It's bit more relevant and iconic than that. Iconic buildings define images of cities. Think of Sydney, Paris, London and a host of other cities across the world. For many the GSoA is that for Glasgow. Thousands of people visit Glasgow each year just to see and photograph the building - it's hugely important part of Scotland's tourism economy.

The reason for that, is because it is THE defining building of an architectural era/movement.

Also, think about when it was built and how progressive it was. Think of all the shitty buildings you live your life in and around! Without realising, architecture and urban planning are probably up there in terms of what people complain most about because it's what we experience most.

It's phenomenal to think about when it was built and the fact it has been used constantly and remained relevant as a place of learning, motivation and creativity. It's not some private company hq, it's there for the benefit of everyone and one of the few buildings that public money should be used to rebuild it.

Main thing is no one was hurt. However, it's not "only a building", that implies it has the same status as a supermarket, identikit housing estate or shitty office block.

It's bit more relevant and iconic than that. Iconic buildings define images of cities. Think of Sydney, Paris, London and a host of other cities across the world. For many the GSoA is that for Glasgow. Thousands of people visit Glasgow each year just to see and photograph the building - it's hugely important part of Scotland's tourism economy.

The reason for that, is because it is THE defining building of an architectural era/movement.

Also, think about when it was built and how progressive it was. Think of all the shitty buildings you live your life in and around! Without realising, architecture and urban planning are probably up there in terms of what people complain most about because it's what we experience most.

It's phenomenal to think about when it was built and the fact it has been used constantly and remained relevant as a place of learning, motivation and creativity. It's not some private company hq, it's there for the benefit of everyone and one of the few buildings that public money should be used to rebuild it.

No public money should not be used - people will still come to glagow to photograph buildings,if people want it rebuilt then they should start a fund, and get those who like saving buildings to throw their hard earned cash at it, i'll keep giving my cash to worthy causes such as cancer research - which is far more deserving of public money

I'm assuming the Building was insured against a big burny fire.

Nae need for my Council tax contributions to be diverted away from funding the filling in of potholes on our carpetbombed roads.

Nae need for my Council tax contributions to be diverted away from funding the filling in of potholes on our carpetbombed roads.

I'm sure it's insured but the value of Mackintosh's work must be huge. I hope everything gets replaced as well as it can be even if it takes a few million from the public purse.

Never understood the need to bomb carpets. If you don't like the colour or the pattern, get a new one.

Which reminds me, was on Summer town Road in Ibrox the other night and hallelujah, Scotland's most carpet bombed street has finally been resurfaced properly ! Oh and you could see the still smoking art school from one end.

Bit dramatic oakster IMO

Yeah maybe but there's truth in it.

Not sure about Art college but certainly in science failing to get a 1st can essentially block a career into research.

Failing to get a 2:1 can block your route to work in your industry and may even prevent you getting a job which needed a degree in the first place.

It's a bit dramatic because these problems can be overcome of course but make no mistake that the quality of degree you get is usually career defining although obviously nobody died by failing to get a 1st class. It will change your life from the one you had planned though. Some cope with that and some don't.

It's not like it was when I was a kid. Hardly anyone had degrees then. Now a huge number of people have them.

Even Asda jobs are over subscribed. When they open a store they'll typically get thousands of applications - many of them degree holders. You do have to ask WTF is going on.

Edited by oaksoft

No public money should not be used - people will still come to glagow to photograph buildings,if people want it rebuilt then they should start a fund, and get those who like saving buildings to throw their hard earned cash at it, i'll keep giving my cash to worthy causes such as cancer research - which is far more deserving of public money

I'm afraid you'll just have to accept that millions of pounds of public money is going to be used to restore this.

It's not a museum, it's a working college which educates generations of kids allowing them to build careers, which results in greater tax take for the country than would otherwise be realised.

Colleges and universities are not a cost - they are an investment in young people. It would be nice if more young people actually showed some sign of appreciating this financial commitment from the country rather than piss 4 years away in the pub but that's another story.

That is why this will quite rightly be funded from the public purse.

Edited by oaksoft

Better public money is spent on something productive like this than some of the scams that have arisen over the last few years. Think of all the millions of council tax pounds going straight into the pockets of private landlords or the time of courts being spent collecting parking fines on behalf of dodgy companies

Better public money is spent on something productive like this than some of the scams that have arisen over the last few years. Think of all the millions of council tax pounds going straight into the pockets of private landlords or the time of courts being spent collecting parking fines on behalf of dodgy companies

as a private landlord i would like to say that being paid by tenants who get housing benefit is in no way a scam,it does not come from council tax money it comes from the government so its probably from the taxes they collect such as income tax, i pay income tax on the rent i receive and 3 families have comfortable well maintained homes,the alternative for them was a council house in a rundown area which is not well maintained,its a cheaper option for the council as it would cost them more to build and maintain enough houses to meet the requirements of all on their housing lists.

i have no doubt some landlords do not maintain their properties and that is scandalous.

i have to pay to register as a landlord and am bound by the rules set out by the scottish landlord registration authority, it is a legitimate business which takes a lot of hard work and is neccessary due to lack of council housing stock, it most certainly is not a scam.

as a private landlord i would like to say that being paid by tenants who get housing benefit is in no way a scam,it does not come from council tax money it comes from the government so its probably from the taxes they collect such as income tax, i pay income tax on the rent i receive and 3 families have comfortable well maintained homes,the alternative for them was a council house in a rundown area which is not well maintained,its a cheaper option for the council as it would cost them more to build and maintain enough houses to meet the requirements of all on their housing lists.

i have no doubt some landlords do not maintain their properties and that is scandalous.

i have to pay to register as a landlord and am bound by the rules set out by the scottish landlord registration authority, it is a legitimate business which takes a lot of hard work and is neccessary due to lack of council housing stock, it most certainly is not a scam.

Private Landlords do the Government a huge favour and any benefits gained should be tax free.

Bollox.

There's a lack of housing because people like you own several houses.

Stop trying to justify your actions.

Bollox.

There's a lack of housing because people like you own several houses.

Stop trying to justify your actions.

your showing your lack of intelligence again by jumping in when you know the grand total of nothing about my properties at all,i have not bought any council owned property, all were from private sales,therefore i have not taken any property off of the council housing stock, and i could agree with your point about me being the cause of a lack of housing if i had bought property and left it empty, all of these properties were previously lying empty and unused, so i would now expect you to appologise and commend me for actually adding to the amount of available housing.

I will however not be holding my breath meantime.