Mcgregor Signs For Sevco - Confirmed

If we are to play the passing game then it is imperative that we have defenders who are comfortable on the ball,can pick a pass and are defensively solid.They must be willing to receive the ball from the keeper and start our attacks without the need to go route one.The beauty of this style of play is that it can be highly entertaining while the downside is that you can get caught on the ball which leaves you in a culpable position with the opposition in on goal.

It was being suggested within the inner sanctuary that Darren was not capable of this style of play and his display at Killie at the end of the season suggested that may be the case.I think he has done tremendously well to come back from his injuries and wish him well.I,m trusting Tommy Craig to bring in some quality signings throughout the team and reckon it will be a very interesting close season.

was talking to a Sevco fan tonight who was asking what this Steven McGregor was like!!!!

When I said it would likely be like Broadfoot all over again... a young player who would give his all for the cause but probably just get abused for not being "Rangers class" he visibly winced.

Thing is... I'm certain the wince was at Kirk's name being mentioned rather than the absurd expectations of their "supporters"!!!

Reported on twitter he's off to sevco for £4k a week raising to £6 if they get promotion. Can't help but think they'll hate him, I consider Broadfoot a superior player and they hated him.

What's the chance of him getting a Scotland cap now?

Madness! Sums up Sevco. Darren would probably sign for less than £2 a week and they are contemplating 3x that. Will they ever learn? I guess we should cut them slack as they are a very young club learning there way in the game.

Reported on twitter he's off to sevco for £4k a week raising to £6 if they get promotion. Can't help but think they'll hate him, I consider Broadfoot a superior player and they hated him.

What's the chance of him getting a Scotland cap now?

I remember Ally having a wee word in his ear after he had a brilliant game at Ibrox 3 years ago. Edited by Mr Zo

Yeah good luck to him, he's a nice lad and I'd jump at a contract like that if it was me.

I suspect McCoist has gave him this contract purely based on his performances in his first season with us, when he had a couple of good games against them and scored at Ibrox IIRC. That and a cursory glance of his wiki to check he's played since.

I'd guess that's as far as scouting goes at the New club. I can see no other explanation for them signing him. We can and will do better.

Madness on Sevco's part to be paying out £200k per year in wages in the Championship to Darren who is a bottom 6 SPL standard centre half and increasing that to £300k if they make it to the SPL. Happy enough for Darren is he goes on to earn £500k in 2 seasons with them, who can blame him for accepting a deal like that?

Can't see him being good enough to play in the starting XI of a team finishing in the top 2 in the SPL and playing in Europe.

All in all if this is true it shows Rangers have learned nothing from the Murray, Whyte and Green eras and look set to keep on paying way over the odds for players who are not good enough to meet their fans' expectations and will continue to massively overspend beyond their means.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

Bit shocked at the "mediocre" labels attached to McGregor. Hardly puts a foot wrong and is reliable. I remember our dip in form coincided with McGregor's injuries and at the time was sorely missed. St Mirrens loss irrespective of who he goes to or how much he gets paid. Folk on here talking all but his tax returns!

Bit shocked at the "mediocre" labels attached to McGregor. Hardly puts a foot wrong and is reliable. I remember our dip in form coincided with McGregor's injuries and at the time was sorely missed. St Mirrens loss irrespective of who he goes to or how much he gets paid. Folk on here talking all but his tax returns!

You must know by now how some of our fans turn on players for no good reason, sometimes even before they sign. But I agree with what you say about Darren, he's not a great player but has been a good servant and I certainly agree he was better than mediocre. Even though we're talking Rangers here, I find it difficult to believe the figures being bandied about as Darren's wages. I hope they're true though because if they are, Rangers will die again for sure.

I referred to mediocrity on a more general level in the context of the money that sevco is pissing away on distinctly ordinary players. If reports of up to 5 or 6K are remotely accurate, then I am afraid that I would be looking for a player of a higher standard than Darren. Edited by Drew

I'm happy enough to say that within the SPL McGregor is a mediocre centre half. (I'm not saying that he hasn't been decent for us, particularly in his first season when his performances were one of the few highlights in a depressing slog of a season). So far the only 2 clubs known to be chasing his signature are Championship clubs Hearts and The International Rangers.

He's out of contract and the smaller top 6 teams like Motherwell, Aberdeen, Inverness, Dundee United, and St Johnstone appear to have made no moves to try and get him on a deal where no transfer fee would be involved... there also seem to have been no moves from similar sized clubs to ourselves... no reported interest from Kilmarnock, Partick etc.

It would appear that while we have scores of BAWA posters saying McGregor is a top 6 player who could walk into any top 6 squad outside of Celtic that McInnes, McCall, McNamara et al have other ideas!

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

Hope he has a miserable time!

I´d be surprised if those wage figures were true, it just doesn´t make any sense to pay so much.

I'm happy to say I see no reason to disbelieve the figures. When the international Rangers signed Jon Daly from Dundee United to play in the 3rd tier of Scottish football they were happy to more than double his wages as DUFC captain. Iain Black was doing work as a painter and decorator until RIFC signed him up and paid over the odds for his services. I'd happily suggest that what Darren is rumoured to have been offered will not have him anywhere near the highest earners at Ibrox and will be the going rate for first team player.

Tom English blogged that when Rangers signed Daly he would have signed for an increase on what he was getting as DUFC captain and it could have been as little as offering £200 per week more than DUFC could pay but Rangers didn't haggle and came straight in and offered more than double his current wage at the time, and they were doing those type of deals across the board to compete in the 4th and 3rd tier of Scottish football.

Let's not forget Rangers were happy to pay McCoist £800k a year to manage the only full time team in the 4th tier of Scottish football. Common sense doesn't come into the pay structure at Ibrox, the very reason why there is a Big Tax Case, Wee Tax Case, Liquidation, and bridging loans at a club who have spent £70m in 2 seasons in the lowest leagues in our country!

Would he pass a medical?

Had a great first season then out for two seasons. Last season he was one of our two best centre halfs, which considering we only had two does not mean much. He was definitely better towards the end of the season. It seems a strange one, I can imagine the blue uglies turning on him after a few games.