Carlisle United Vs Saints - Friday 1St August

Murray7

I expect Tommy will look to start the side he plans to start against Motherwell in this one. Will certainly be our most competitive friendly and I hope we approach it in an almost competitive manner.

Will be interesting to see if Declan Hughes or Adam Brown start, both have had good pre seasons and either or both could start this one and at Fir Park.

TC's main dilemma tonight (and next week unless we strengthen) is a choice of playing Goodwin in defence or in midfield. If he plays him in defence young Declan Hughes - who's had a good preseason - will start in Goody's role in midfield.

If he plays him in midfield it will probably mean a centre half pairing of 2 out of 3 of Tesselaar, Williams and Plummer.

Either choice means we will be starting the season with a player who has less than 5 senior appearances to his name. They're 3 good young players though, and I think all 3 of them will make the step up this season.

If Sean makes it I'd personally go with Goodwin in midfield and a centre back pairing of Plummer and Tess and Kelly at left back. If Sean isn't fit then we will probably need Goodwins experience at the back with Hughes in midfield.

TC's main dilemma tonight (and next week unless we strengthen) is a choice of playing Goodwin in defence or in midfield. If he plays him in defence young Declan Hughes - who's had a good preseason - will start in Goody's role in midfield.

If he plays him in midfield it will probably mean a centre half pairing of 2 out of 3 of Tesselaar, Williams and Plummer.

Either choice means we will be starting the season with a player who has less than 5 senior appearances to his name. They're 3 good young players though, and I think all 3 of them will make the step up this season.

If Sean makes it I'd personally go with Goodwin in midfield and a centre back pairing of Plummer and Tess and Kelly at left back. If Sean isn't fit then we will probably need Goodwins experience at the back with Hughes in midfield.

For me its got to be Goody in midfield everytime.

When he plays defence he tries to get involved in everything in front of him which results in bookings, red cards or cock ups.

Edited by Lord Pityme

I notice that Danny Grainger will be playing for Carslisle tonight. That should ensure one or two of our wide players an easy game. Quite possibly one of the worst left back's I've had the misfortune to see in the stripes.

Every time watching St Mirren's day you hear the commentary from the BBC - Hearts are missing some key players one being Danny Granger , eh ! ! !

Saints: Kello, Naismith, Plummer, Goodwin, Tesselaar, McGinn, McLean, Wylde, Brown, Caldwell, Ball.

Subs: Kelly, Ridgers, Reilly, Williams, Teale, Hughes

4-4-2?

---------------------------Kello------------------------

Naismith-----Goodwin Plummer------Tess

Brown----------McGinn McLean-------Wylde

----------------------Ball Caldwell-------------------

Looks pretty close to the team that will play at Motherwell. Marwood injured?

Every time watching St Mirren's day you hear the commentary from the BBC - Hearts are missing some key players one being Danny Granger , eh ! ! !

Grainger was one of Hearts top players and was a big miss for them in the final, the guy had a bad injury and has not been the same since, we took a gamble when we signed him that never paid off.