Tony Fitz

Hello everyone, first time poster (raging)

I have just been told that back in the day, Davie Cooper said something so nasty and vile to Tony Fitz about his son who had passed away that I won't even repeat it.

I was just wondering if there is any truth in this as the guy who told me said Tony had mentioned it in his autobiography, I figured this would be the best place to find out.

If this is true all the respect I had for Cooper has flown right out the window and won't be coming back no matter how good a footballer he was.

Also anyone tell me where it would be possible to buy a copy of Tony's book.

I have just been told that back in the day, Davie Cooper said something so nasty and vile to Tony Fitz about his son who had passed away that I won't even repeat it.

I was just wondering if there is any truth in this as the guy who told me said Tony had mentioned it in his autobiography, I figured this would be the best place to find out.

If this is true all the respect I had for Cooper has flown right out the window and won't be coming back no matter how good a footballer he was.

I don't think Fitzy ever did an auto biography.

I was at the game in question. Rangers fans certainly sung some extremely distasteful songs that night about Fitzys son. I've no idea what, if anything, Cooper said to Fitzpatrick but Cooper certainly did go out that night to wind Fitzy up. Fitzy landed up being sent off and he had to be dragged off the park by Eric Sorensson

I don't think Fitzy ever did an auto biography.

I was at the game in question. Rangers fans certainly sung some extremely distasteful songs that night about Fitzys son. I've no idea what, if anything, Cooper said to Fitzpatrick but Cooper certainly did go out that night to wind Fitzy up. Fitzy landed up being sent off and he had to be dragged off the park by Eric Sorensson

Thanks for the reply Stuart.

OK, so if Tony didn't even write a book, I can only surmise that what with Cooper winding him up and the Rangers fans singing the distasteful songs, the story has grown arms and legs over the years and as Cooper was the one winding Tony up, the story has now become that Cooper said something nasty re Tony's son.

Still not a particularly nice thing of Cooper to do to a fellow pro, knowing what he just went through.

I wish Tony would do his autobiography.

I would love to read about his time at St Mirren through the various eras, especially when Fergie was the boss.

Fitzy is a legend and I adore his passion for St Mirren F.C.

Edited by shull

You or him. Won't being coming back ?

My memory isn't what it used to be but I think I remember seeing TF losing it completely against Rangers around the time his lad was seriously ill. Fitzy (as I recall it) just started running after Derek Johnstone for no apparent reason, chasing him around the parrk with the ball nowhere near them. I don't think his son's illness was public knowledge at that time. He was red-carded and we awaited a mega-suspension, but the incident seems to have been brushed under the carpet when Tony's circumstances came to light and no further charges were ever brought against Fitzy.

However, I am very old and my memory could be playing it's tricks on me.

I don't think Tony is the type of guy who would openly refer directly to an incident like this, or mention it in a publication. He would most likely prefer to let it lie. I have nothing other than a sense of the man on which to base this, right enough.

We will probably never know the full story, and perhaps it is best that way, as its hardly something that Tony would want dragged up.

Edited by Drew

Ask your contact to give you a loan of the autobiography he is quoting.

Would that not be less time consuming than having to join a forum.

I know a guy who said 20 million Romanians could come to the UK and 3% of Scotland voted for him as scaremongering gets to the unenlightened.

I think it was just after his sons death and in the back of my mind I recall Cooper with his arm round Tony after he had been sent off. A referee that I met at a dinner some time after told me that the offence had been dealt with compassionately by the SFA and that several players from both sides had contacted them and that RFC had asked for leniency. Whether anything had been said to spark Tony off is just idle gossip I think.

I wish Tony would do his autobiography.

I would love to read about his time at St Mirren through the various eras, especially when Fergie was the boss.

Fitzy is a legend and adore his passion for St Mirren F.C.

Surely there is somebody in the St Mirren World to help Tony with an Autobiography, if he wishes.

Bill Leckie , Big Fras have been outstanding with their past ventures or maybe a few of the talented posters on here.

I wish he would go for it.

Edited by shull

Can only apologise guys, causing offence or upset to anyone was the last thing on my mind.

I am happy for this to be deleted.

Don't worry about it. Tony would realise it was genuine interest from a real fan. I'm sure he won't feel offended.

A Fitzy autobiography would be well worth reading. Brian 'BuddieinEK' Doig interviewed Fitzy for the Final Chapter book and set up a video recorder to film the whole interview. Fitzy was happy to oblige, and his tales were distilled into two pages in the book. We have kept MP4 copies of the video interview for posterity.

When you think about him being made captain by Alex Ferguson at such a young age, being part of that great team, trying to make it in England, returning and making such a massive impact with his glorious sub' performance in the '87 final, and managing the club.... He would have a story to tell that would be essential reading for Saints fans.

The Billy Abercromby book was simply fantastic. Parts of that had me laughing out loud while reading it, and then taking me to deeply sad stories about his bad times.

I'm sure a pucker Tony Fitzpatrick book would sell superbly well in the Saints shop.... If we had one.

A Fitzy autobiography would be well worth reading. Brian 'BuddieinEK' Doig interviewed Fitzy for the Final Chapter book and set up a video recorder to film the whole interview. Fitzy was happy to oblige, and his tales were distilled into two pages in the book. We have kept MP4 copies of the video interview for posterity.

When you think about him being made captain by Alex Ferguson at such a young age, being part of that great team, trying to make it in England, returning and making such a massive impact with his glorious sub' performance in the '87 final, and managing the club.... He would have a story to tell that would be essential reading for Saints fans.

The Billy Abercromby book was simply fantastic. Parts of that had me laughing out loud while reading it, and then taking me to deeply sad stories about his bad times.

I'm sure a pucker Tony Fitzpatrick book would sell superbly well in the Saints shop.... If we had one.

I met him a few times. I remember a night in the Kelburne Cinema and I went along with my son Graham from my first marriage. Can't remember what it was all about but I chatted with Tony that night and he was a lovely guy. I'll buy his book. Let's get a petition going. I've said a few times on here that 'Legend' is sometimes applied too easily but Fitzy really is a true St.Mirren legend.

Aber is a horrible little runt,had the misfortune of meeting him after the cup final in a pub and was a cheeky c**t. Lucky he didn't get a boot in the bawz

Maybe he didn't fancy you too much. Any reason why he might not have?

still up there as one of the most memorable and humbling experiences of my life!

I still can't believe that after all those years in Paisley... HE bought the coffees!!!!!! whistling.gif

He was, is and always will be my Roy of the Rovers... only more skilful!!!