Rory Fallon

billymehmet1

There's not a chance Thompson is going to last another full season lex, I just can't see it.

He needs a decent partner up front to play with, someone that can shoot, something which McGowan couldn't do.

I don't think he could last another full season playing as many minutes as he did last season. However I fully expect him to start every game if he's fit, he is our captain after all.

What he needs is someone like Parkin on the bench, someone who can come on in the last 20 minutes or so and give him a break.

I don't think he could last another full season playing as many minutes as he did last season. However I fully expect him to start every game if he's fit, he is our captain after all.

What he needs is someone like Parkin on the bench, someone who can come on in the last 20 minutes or so and give him a break.[/quote

Yeah bring on Parkin... To be... Well just Parkin

No goals, no cards, no controversy.... Just nuttin really.

What he needs is someone like Parkin on the bench, someone who can come on in the last 20 minutes or so and give him a break.[/quote

Yeah bring on Parkin... To be... Well just Parkin

No goals, no cards, no controversy.... Just nuttin really.

Parkin actually scored a few important goals. Point is we need a striker who is relatively competent and is happy to start most games on the bench.

ame="Lord Pityme" post="1181397" timestamp="1401358743"]

Parkin actually scored a few important goals. Point is we need a striker who is relatively competent and is happy to start most games on the bench.[/quote

Check his stats..... He amassed 3 .....

In all competitions!

Like I said, a few important goals. Who do you want us to sign exactly?

Baring in mind it's almost certain we won't start any game with 2 strikers and we already have 1 established striker who is our captain.

What he needs is someone like Parkin on the bench, someone who can come on in the last 20 minutes or so and give him a break.

There needs to be competition in all positions and even Thommo had a barren spell but could not be rested due to having no one to fill that position. No matter how much we love the big man, having the luxury of knowing you will retain your place, if fit, can have a negative impact. We need another decent striker to take the weight off Thommo and create competition. It is up to every player to fight for a starting place and that is only a positive thing. Edited by nedflanders123

There needs to be competition in all positions and even Thommo had a barren spell but could not be rested due to having no one to fill that position. No matter how much we love the big man, having the luxury of knowing you will retain your place, if fit, can have a negative impact. We need another decent striker to take the weight off Thommo and create competition. It is up to every player to fight for a starting place and that is only a positive thing.

I certainly agree. Point is any potential signing will know they aren't coming as first choice, which limits our scope.

I just hope that when we sign someone like Fallon/Parkin/Magennis our fans don't get all outraged.

I certainly agree. Point is any potential signing will know they aren't coming as first choice, which limits our scope.

I just hope that when we sign someone like Fallon/Parkin/Magennis our fans don't get all outraged.

What if Tommy wants to play with 2 strikers?

If any striker was HAPPY to come and sit on the bench then they're not worth signing.

Ha. You do wonder why you'd sit next to a potential target in public before you've signed him. Doesn't seem to make much sense.

I bet Tommy wished he was sitting where I sat.

I was sitting next to all the Dutch players girlfriends.

After the fifth goal I'm sure they were chanting.................

"We want sex"

"We want sex"

If any striker was HAPPY to come and sit on the bench then they're not worth signing.

I'd be astounded if he did. How many teams play with two strikers these days?

Plenty of decent players would be happy to come and be back up to Thommo. They know they're going to get plenty of opportunities and they could make themselves first choice in a year or so. Remember Higdon was backup to Mehmet for a season, yes really.

There's not a chance Thompson is going to last another full season lex, I just can't see it.

He needs a decent partner up front to play with, someone that can shoot, something which McGowan couldn't do.

Good, positive News!!

If you can't see it, then I am glad to say there is every possibility that Thommo will indeed have a chance of lasting at least another full season.

Edited by Vambo57

Well, if you can't see it, then I am glad to say there is every possibility that Thommo will indeed have a chance of lasting at least another full season.

I agree. I think he's got 2 more seasons in him at least. Remember Teddy Sheringham was scoring goals in the EPL when he was 38/39, Thommo's 35.

His game isn't based on pace, but positional awareness and experience.

Plenty of decent players would be happy to come and be back up to Thommo. They know they're going to get plenty of opportunities and they could make themselves first choice in a year or so. Remember Higdon was backup to Mehmet for a season, yes really.

Liverpool, Man City & Atletico Madrid played with 2 strikers last season...

Don't think its strictly true that Higdon was Mehmet's back up. Higdon started the majority of games in his first season.

It's not really that uncommon to play 2 strikers. (Unless the manager is Craig Levein)

My point is we shouldn't be signing anyone who is happy to sit on the bench. We need players in, who are hungry to play football and not just to collect a wage.

ame="Lord Pityme" post="1181403" timestamp="1401359608"]

Like I said, a few important goals. Who do you want us to sign exactly?

Baring in mind it's almost certain we won't start any game with 2 strikers and we already have 1 established striker who is our captain.

Well if your right Re: we will never play more than one striker then theres no point in having a goalscorer wish list.

Personally unless something special happens on the loan front i would bring back Magennis to work with Thommo.

When he came on in the latter games and Gowser went off there was more scope for him to be Thommo's wing man (not winger) and our performances and results improved. A big bustling lad like Magennis who is an athlete to boot ties up a few of the opposition.

Opposing midfielders/wing backs get nervy around him drawing a centre back out of position to assist leaving more space to play through/over for our striker and midfielders joining the pack. I think with Wylde having regained some form and confidence gettinpg big Josh back in would work well, and give us a fluidity and shape that will cause problems.

Too often in the last couple of seasons we have been predictable through the middle when the opposition targeted snuffing out Gowser, thus leaving us devoid of ideas and creativity as McGinn wasn't given the responsibility he can obviously handle, and McLean had a fair few indifferent performances and contributions.

We have had too many ball players in the middle for three seasons now, it needed freshening up!

Edited by Lord Pityme

And here is where my problem of depending on Thompson for goals lies. Over the course of the season he gets a decent amount of goals for a striker in the bottom 6. His goals have been a major factor in seeing us get a decent amount of points in the SPL (by our standards) over the last 3 seasons as well as being vital in the cup win. I can't think of many games where we have had the match definitively sewn up after 70 minutes and am not convinced we have the luxury of planning to rest our main goal threat during the last 20 minutes of games.

Liverpool, Man City & Atletico Madrid played with 2 strikers last season...

Don't think its strictly true that Higdon was Mehmet's back up. Higdon started the majority of games in his first season.

None play with two out and out number 9 style strikers the way Thommo plays. If we are going to play 2 strikers it will be someone in the McGowan mould playing behind Thompson.

We need someone who can play the lone striker role like Thommo does, but is willing to accept that he comes as back up.

Surely Tommy noted my meltdown when Novo was previously in circulation, or faraway alerted him to it.

It the man has an ounce of compassion, he couldn't possibly consider signing the despicable wee c**t, no? He must know that it would be the end of me. Whether it be a stroke, aneurysm, or massive coronary failure, I would undoubtedly meet an untimely demise.

I have a family Tommy. If not for me, please think about my wife and children.

Please....

Ive heard he thinks about your wife VERY regularly

Not sure I agree with that. Players within a squad will have a defined role that they will be well aware of and each role is important to the success of the team so it's important you can accept your role and the part you need to play. Nothing wrong with wanting to be a starter if you're not but equally nothing wrong with accepting your place in the grand scheme of things.

Not sure I agree with that. Players within a squad will have a defined role that they will be well aware of and each role is important to the success of the team so it's important you can accept your role and the part you need to play. Nothing wrong with wanting to be a starter if you're not but equally nothing wrong with accepting your place in the grand scheme of things.

Of course someone has to sit on the bench. I would disagree 100% with signing a player that is happy to sit on the bench as a back up. Anyone that comes in will know they will have a lot to prove to get a starting position, that's healthy to have in a squad. Someone who signs and is resigned to sitting on the bench not giving two shits isn't good for anyone.