Saints Goals To Treasure

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1977&GameID=1659

attachicon.gifJackieCopland.jpg

attachicon.gif3-3 Report Dec 77.jpg

Certainly the intent was there.

Big Jackie Copland was an absolute rock at the heart of our defence. A born leader and a very nice gentleman too.

I only wish that he had been around for the 1987 Cup Triumph for as far as NorthBank heroes goes he is up there with the best of them.

JC deserves to be inducted into the St Mirren Hall of Fame - he certainly qualifies with over 200 appearances, but I guess may not happen until after the club is sold.

crikey , its exciting just reading that report again

A game against Celtic at Love St, we were two down early on and came back to 2-2 by half time, I`m sure Steve Clarke got one of them.

We went ahead in the second half and had to endure a bit of Celtic pressure before big Scan (Ian Scanlon)hit a screamer from the halfway line over Bonners head and nearly burst the net.

Pity there were no cameras there.

Heres's a few

Stevie Clarke vs Hearts, 6 - 2 game

Stevie Thompson vs Ross County, 5 -4 game

Ian Ferguson vs Aberdeen, midweek 1 nil in 87

Peter Mackie vs Oldco, 2 -1 about 85

John Hewitt vs Falkirk, New Year game, not sure when maybe 93

Guni at Porkheid, midweek game 1 each draw

This was the best goal that i have ever seen. So many passes. About 20 i think before the blaster from outside the box into the top corner at the Love st goal. Remember we were all giving it the o,lays before the goal and that was the icing on the cake.

Can't think of a bad goal but Jimmy Bone's header in the last minute of extra time to get us through at Bolton is one that will i always remember.

One of my all time favourites.

The Anglo Scottish games were brilliant, especially the away yins.

A very very late goal by bobby Torrance at ibrox sticks in the old memory with all the sad faces shuffling past us in the main stand at ibrox

I was in the Main Stand that day also.

It was fantastic. clap.gif

http://stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1978&GameID=1689

Edited by shull

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1977&GameID=1659

attachicon.gifJackieCopland.jpg

attachicon.gif3-3 Report Dec 77.jpg

Certainly the intent was there.

Big Jackie Copland was an absolute rock at the heart of our defence. A born leader and a very nice gentleman too.

I only wish that he had been around for the 1987 Cup Triumph for as far as NorthBank heroes goes he is up there with the best of them.

JC deserves to be inducted into the St Mirren Hall of Fame - he certainly qualifies with over 200 appearances, but I guess may not happen until after the club is sold.

A real gentleman, and always happy to talk to anybuddie about The Saints.. he certainly deserves a place in the Hall of Fame!

2nd of May 1998 Shuggie Murray's goal against Stirling Albion is my most treasured goal as if we hadn't won that game we were staring into the abyss of part time football in the third tier and, the more than likely, slow death of the club. I remember being on the small terrace behind the goal at Forthbank and, when the ball ended up in the back of the net I ended up on the 6 yard line - still not sure what happened in the celebrations after that goal.

Mind you any goal against the **** or *****, or a goal that clinches promotion/survival is always good!!!!

The 4 goals when we beat Dundee Utd in the Scottish cup at Love st. The start of something magical .

I remember the lads warming up with boots on, pitch was like an ice rink. When we came oot for the game we all had trainers on. Ran rings round what was a very good DU side. IIRC we had a long unbeaten run in the league (championneeeeeess) that season, but you could see it becoming a monkey on our backs, struggled to get a late equaliser against Clydebank away? (with Cooper in the side) with about 4 games to go, then lost to St Johnstone 1-0 at home midweek.

eta just checked the stats, got it wrong. Beat Clydebank 3-1 at Love St, drew 1-1 to St J, then lost 3-0 at Cappielow. 28 league matches unbeaten.

Edited by Happy Buddie

What a team goal that was!

http://youtu.be/aLnScGVFyCA

Carnage in the stands!

What a brilliant team goal that was! Only made better for being at Greyskull for corporate hospitality and going mental in the executive seats in front of the 'club deck loyal'. All the patronising comments that I had endured that day seemed to stop rather quickly...

Scanlon v Celtic (4-2), Stevie Clarke v Aberdeen (3-0), Walker v Dundee Utd (can't remember the score1_4 at tennadica), Gunni v Celtic (3-0), McGarvey v Slavia Prague (back heel)1-0 full time, 3-0 extra time & Hewitt v Falkirk(3-1), I think, (about a million passes).

Every one an absolute belter for different reasons and all bring a smile to my face, particularly the ones where there was no tv coverage.

I love threads like this!

Remember being in the old Centenary Stand that day.

Was also sat in that stand the previous summer when we played West Brom and Southampton (the English Fake Saints) in the Tennent Caledonian Cup.

We were in the Paisley end.

2nd of May 1998 Shuggie Murray's goal against Stirling Albion is my most treasured goal as if we hadn't won that game we were staring into the abyss of part time football in the third tier and, the more than likely, slow death of the club. I remember being on the small terrace behind the goal at Forthbank and, when the ball ended up in the back of the net I ended up on the 6 yard line - still not sure what happened in the celebrations after that goal.

Mind you any goal against the **** or *****, or a goal that clinches promotion/survival is always good!!!!

Aahh, yes, of course. I was behind the goal as well. That was most enjoyable. smile.png