Blyth Spartans V Saints......

HSS

I notice on their website that they have their own beer festival on 4th July. I'll mibbe go down for that and stay until after the game.

Could we no' have something similar at SMP?

Check out what their social club prices were in their four hour (happy hour) at xmas......!

If their offering that for the friendly (£2.00 a pint) they will get a good traveling support in..!

Get. Right. In.

Never thought I'd get to see the Buds playing less than ten minutes' drive from my house. This is amazing news.

I'd love to recommend somewhere good to drink in Blyth, but there isn't anywhere. If I ever drive through it, I try not to stop the car. whistling.gif

Edited by Magic Monkey

Saying nothing ...... absolutely nothing

To be honest, I saw it as soon as I wrote it. fish.gif Happy to set you guys up to knock em in...

Whitley Bay is definitely a much better option - just a shame it's a distance from the ground. I will do some research to find out if there's anywhere acceptable to drink in Blyth, though. I know one or two people from that general direction. Might persuade a couple of Geordies to come along, too.

To be honest, I saw it as soon as I wrote it. :fishwallop Happy to set you guys up to knock em in...

Whitley Bay is definitely a much better option - just a shame it's a distance from the ground. I will do some research to find out if there's anywhere acceptable to drink in Blyth, though. I know one or two people from that general direction. Might persuade a couple of Geordies to come along, too.

If it its no too much trouble do some research on their social club. Might be a we gem on the doorstep?

Right in thinking it's about 20 minutes or so on a bus to Newcastle? That's pre and post match sorted biggrin.png

That's right.

You could get a train to Newcastle Central, drink in town pre-match, making your way to Haymarket Bus Station as you do so. It's the top end of town, but easily walkable from Central. It's also one Metro stop away but that's pointless, and they don't serve beer on the Metro whistling.gif .

From Haymarket, you get the X10 or X11 to Blyth. They are "express" buses, but I'd still allow at least an hour to include finding your way to the ground.

They stop pretty close to the ground (Plessey Road, on the map on the below).

https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/serviceInformation.aspx?id=19131

@ Lord PityMe - I will indeed look into pubs near the ground. I don't know Blyth massively well - if any other North East Saints want to chip in, please feel free.

If the knickerwetters are to be believed,

WE WON'T HAVE A FULL TEAM BY THEN!

every 2 years we have this problem till our signing targets get the euros or world cup out of the way, but we will have them in by then.

Alreet all. As an exiled Spartan who has travelled to Croft Park by plane, train and automobile I thought I could chip in with a bit of info/answer some of the questions raised in this thread.

Right then. Getting there. If going by train you have 3 options:
1. Train to Newcastle Central Station. Metro (1 stop) or walk to Haymarket and bus to Blyth. There are several Newcastle to Blyth busses. All are much longer than the 20 minutes mentioned. The X10 or X11 is the quickest and is about 50 minutes. Also the X4 and X5 which are about an hour each give or take a few minutes. There is the 308 which goes via Whitley Bay. Its about 1/2 hour from Newcastle to Whitley, then about 25 minutes to Blyth.
2. Train from Newcastle Central to Cramlington. Then bus or taxi from Cramlington to Blyth. Done this a few times and to be honest its a bit of a faff.
3. Taxi from Newcastle to Blyth. These do a set fair for £17.50. http://eastcoasttaxis.com/setfares.html Less than 5 notes each which isn't much more expensive than the bus. Defo be my advice. Plenty Taxi firms though so have a Google. Black cab from the station to Blyth will cost a lot more.
Right then, the important part, drinking.
Whitley Bay is alright. I see you are now playing them too. Tynemouth is much better but a little further away.
Obviously Newcastle has plenty of choice so you could booze there then head to Blyth. There are some decent boozers around the train station area so maybe an idea to do that for a bit then head to Blyth for a bit.
I won't lie, Blyth isn't the greatest town ever to go out in, but it's not as bad as people make out. For the real ale fans there is The Post Office and Olivers which are next to each other and about 10 mins walk from the ground and just a few minutes from the bus station. Not the biggest of places though. http://whatpub.com/pubs/TYN/6817/post-office-blyth , http://whatpub.com/pubs/TYN/4056/olivers-blyth
5 mins max walk towards the ground from there you have Wetherspoons which does what it says on the tin. Its a listed art deco cinema so worth a gander: http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-wallaw , just behind there is the Waterloo (you can see it in pic 1) Its a decent size, couple of pool tables, extension and outdoor seating if its sunny. Does bait as well.
Another few mins stroll and you are at the pubs next to the ground. 'The Triangle'. The Masons (decent size, friendly welcome to away fans) http://www.themasonsarmsblyth.co.uk/ , The Joiners Arms opposite - a little more rough and ready but it sells pints of wet stuff, and The Sports Club next door (a social club so cheap as owt and you don't have to show a card to get in). There are more pubs in Blyth but those are the ones I would go to and they are nicely spread out leading toward the ground.
Couple of minutes from there and you are in the ground with the social club which is pretty big and holds a few hundred people. Be rude to not have a few jars in there.
I'll most likely be travelling up on the day (from Sheffield) so no doubt I'll bump unto a few of you making your way to South East Northumberland. I've prattled on a bit there but just wanted to give my advice as someone who travels to Blyth for the match. Anyone got any questions just ask and I'll try and answer.
Cheers.