Mcgregor, Craig & Stevenson

stuman99

That actually was my point, which strangely enough is why I said it was. Apologies I obviously have to simplify.

Over the last few years we have a track record of signing players from our relegation rivals ie. Harkins, Imrie and Grainger for example, who all arrived as far as I can remember all arrived with good reputations. As far as I can see Stevenson and Craig would fit into that category. However signing these type of players has never resulted in us having a team which is capable of avoiding being sucked into a relegation battle, let alone making a challenge for a top 6 spot.

Maybe it is time to for the team to change approach?

I have never suggested that Saints have the finances to sign players on Championship wages. I am a shareholder and I know what the budget is, and have never suggested that we exceed it.

There are plenty of available players out there, without necessarily having to resort to signing Stevenson and Craig. And if we were to sign Stevenson and Craig I don't honestly think that will be any improvement on last year's team.

I'm not sure why any Saints fan would encourage another Saints fan to give up watching or to go and watch football elsewhere?

Simply because I think the players we currently have (or had last season), are as good or better than two players that we haven't yet and may not ever sign?

You are now making a completely different point from the point you made in the post I quoted. In no way were you making this point before!

Maybe it is time to change approach, and maybe Craig will. Certainly none of the three signings you are now pointing to have been successes. If there are plenty of players out there though, do tell who you think would improve on McLean and McGinn? I don't think it is realistic to expect to sign better players than those who are leaving for money we could only dream of being able to spend. It's the same at all levels of the game. Celtic didn't replace Hooper, Spurs didn't replace Bale.

You'd better be prepared now to accept that we will not sign better players than McLean or McGinn, and that even when we don't, it doesn't mean we will be heading for the Championship.

Newton was a key member of Saints team during our two winning spells last season and if you discount penalties scored more goals than McLean, he's also less than 3 months older than McLean so I think it's premature to write off his chances in the Championship. Sure he (Newton) looked a bit lost in midfield when Goodwin boxing.gif was unavailable but I'd have been more than happy to keep Newton.

I'd have been happy to keep him too, but he's not Championship standard. The two are not mutually exclusive! He's not a bad young player, but it will be a big step up for him and I think he'll struggle with the pace and physicality of the Championship.

I'd have been happy to keep him too, but he's not Championship standard. The two are not mutually exclusive! He's not a bad young player, but it will be a big step up for him and I think he'll struggle with the pace and physicality of the Championship.

Well he's in a Championship team, as for the rest we'll just have to wait and see how things develop.

Is there anymore news on Ryan Stevenson , would be a great addition if we can get him , seen it on twitter that Servco are supposed to be interested in him.

Douglas McNeil said on Twitter last week he expected a decision by the end of last week from him so I'd be inclined to think we will hear something today or tomorrow regarding him?

Was told this morning that Craig has signed - he's a good source usually - also we have a guy from Newcastle and another from Liverpool coming up, possible 1 year loan deals.

Looking to get another Jardel style rumour in an newspaper type post, IMO. Edited by JM1

Looking to get another Jardel style rumour in an newspaper type post, IMO.

The Jardel thing was done by editing his wiki page as a bit of mischief - but it was an open post on here first - saying that the israeli guy we trialed looked like Jardel, im passing on what i was told, he's reliable so i'm hopeful that its true. It remains on his wiki page to this day. Time will tell - it is the speculation part of the forum though, it wasnt posted as fact.

Both Stevenson and Craig would be excellent additions to the squad. It will be interesting to see who we do bring in as it will set a marker for the type of player Tommy is after. We need better quality throughout the squad.

Not a dig at you but I reckoned the team we fielded during our two winning spells was capable of competing with any team in the division outside of Celtic, our problem was that the quality of our backup players was well shy of the standard required and even one player out caused us problems.

There's no doubt we need to improve at CH, that we will probably have less quality in midfield and that we have to be more careful in our use of Thompson next season, I'm hoping to see some outfield players signed shortly - isn't today the official start of the transfer window?

Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on Tommy - gie's an outfield signin! bag.gif

Would like to see us sign at least two quality strikers , firstly some one with a bit of speed to partner Thompson ( its great watching two strikers link up and operate together ) , and another striker to provide cover and also offer something different . Craig or Stevenson or both playing behind two strikers would be good too . We also need two experienced central defenders and a defensive midfielder

Would like to see us sign at least two quality strikers , firstly some one with a bit of speed to partner Thompson ( its great watching two strikers link up and operate together ) , and another striker to provide cover and also offer something different . Craig or Stevenson or both playing behind two strikers would be good too . We also need two experienced central defenders and a defensive midfielder

That's not our style, we sign a player like Stevenson to be a striker and a midfielder rather than bringing in 2 players!

It's a two year deal they've given him with an option of a third, I imagine that's why he went there. Longer contracts can sway players now, it's the same reason Harkins chose us over Motherwell last summer.

Given Stevo's injury record I wouldn't have wanted him signed on anything longer than a 1 year deal.