Youth Development At Saints

Great article here about David Longwell

"Our goalkeepers, from aged 17 and younger, don't kick the ball out," he added. "Never."

"You still want to win the game but the development has to come first."

"Long balls don't happen in any of our teams."

It's very clear he's doing a great job....The future looks bright..... biggrin.png

"Our goalkeepers, from aged 17 and younger, don't kick the ball out," he added. "Never."

I wonder how long we have had these policies in place?

How long has "the academy" in its current form been running? Can we expect many more players like Kelly and Naismith to come through in the next couple of years?

It all sounds good but really the concept of playing passing football from the back only reached the first team when Danny Lennon arrived. Previously was David Longwell teaching the kids to grind out 0-0 draws when the club was managed by MacPherson?

McPherson had very little interest in playing youngsters, Longwell always wanted to do what he is doing now,and Danny Lennon backed his judgement and played the youngsters. That the big difference and it's paying off big time, try watching the young teams and you will see what a change Danny's attitude brought to the club,players know they will get their chance if they show that they want it enough. Tommy Craig I believe will continue that philosophy

I wonder how long we have had these policies in place?

How long has "the academy" in its current form been running? Can we expect many more players like Kelly and Naismith to come through in the next couple of years?

It all sounds good but really the concept of playing passing football from the back only reached the first team when Danny Lennon arrived. Previously was David Longwell teaching the kids to grind out 0-0 draws when the club was managed by MacPherson?

McPherson had very little interest in playing youngsters, Longwell always wanted to do what he is doing now

This is spot-on, and I base that conclusion on having spoken to the relative of two players who have come through the youth set-up and excelled therein and beyond - no thanks to MacPherson. Apparently John McGinn was too wee and weedy to make it in the game1eye.gif

Suffice to say, had MacPherson not moved on when he did, we wouldn't have seen John McGinn in the St Mirren first team. Indeed, he would not have been at the club in any capacity.

Great article, we really are reaping the benefits of our fantastic new facility at Ralston now. 5 of our first choice 11 from last year were graduates, and that's looking like it may increase next term.

It has been rated independently as the third best facility in the country, behind only the Old Firm. What a great accolade that is for a club like ours.

Congratulations to all involved, Davie Longwell and our BoD in particular.

This is spot-on, and I base that conclusion on having spoken to the relative of two players who have come through the youth set-up and excelled therein and beyond - no thanks to MacPherson. Apparently John McGinn was too wee and weedy to make it in the game1eye.gif

Suffice to say, had MacPherson not moved on when he did, we wouldn't have seen John McGinn in the St Mirren first team. Indeed, he would not have been at the club in any capacity.

Just like his brother Stephen wasn't given a chance?

:1eye

Just like his brother Stephen wasn't given a chance?

1eye.gif

Given a chance, perhaps, but treated very shoddily.

ETA: anyway, apologies to all for dwelling on the matter. I don't want to pollute a positive thread with yet another MacPherson debate, so I will leave it at that.

Edited by Drew

A really good article and encouraging. It all augurs well for the future of St.Mirren. Better watch David doesn't get head-hunted. I'm amazed that StuDick hasn't weighed in yet. He thinks our coaching system sucks like everything else connected with St.Mirren.

The thing about Rangers and Celtic and parents' attitude is surely true but Archie Gemmil could have signed for any team in Scotland. He was Rangers daft but knew that Rangers ruined more boys than they ever nurtured and decided to go with Saints..A smart move with the career he had.

Not sure there are more winnable games than last season as Hibs and Hearts were the 2 worst teams in the league so I doubt there will be that much of an opportunity to pick up more points. We picked up 5/12 points against Hearts and 7/12 against Hibs.

I do believe we could push for top 6 at ICT's expense but I'm pretty sure Partick, Killie and Ross County will think the same as well as the 2 newly promoted teams. I think it will be a very competitive league next year, just a pity it has to be ruined by Celtic existing.

Well done to Mr Longwell on the youth development. Not sure how Gus can be criticised for not bringing through guys like J.McGinn as he would only have been about 15 at the time and I'm sure he has grown since then, both physically and mentally, no doubt through the good work of Mr Longwell and others.

I'm also unaware of any youth team players from the Gus era who now play at a decent level but to be honest I probably wouldn't know. Are there any?

Hopefully Mr Craig will be a nice mix of the good things which both Danny and Gus both brought to this fantastic football club.. The future is bright, the future is black and white.

One of the benefits of Hibs and Hearts being relegated is that Saints should be able to blood more youngsters next year as there are arguably more winnable games.

With Oldco also out of the picture, this season is our best chance of making a good push for the top-6.

Let's hope all the Scottish teams in Europe do really well, as this should also work in our favour if they have more games to deal with.

We will still need some experience in key positions to help bring through more youngsters.

A big feck off centre half in the mould of Bobby Reid or Jackie Copland is a feckin must have this year.

A ball-winning midfield anchor in the mould of Aber would do nicely. If McGinn stays I'd love to see him given that role.

A number 10 playmaker who can link up with Thommo and contribute 10 goals a season.

Could this be Reily's season. I know a lot of people on here have already written him off based on a few disappointing games for the first team early in the season when just back from injury, but he seemed to get his form back in the U21s towards the end of the season.

Let's hope so

Could this be Reily's season. I know a lot of people on here have already written him off based on a few disappointing games for the first team early in the season when just back from injury, but he seemed to get his form back in the U21s towards the end of the season.

Let's hope so

Reilly isn't anywhere near good enough for the 1st team.

Not sure there are more winnable games than last season as Hibs and Hearts were the 2 worst teams in the league so I doubt there will be that much of an opportunity to pick up more points. We picked up 5/12 points against Hearts and 7/12 against Hibs.

I do believe we could push for top 6 at ICT's expense but I'm pretty sure Partick, Killie and Ross County will think the same as well as the 2 newly promoted teams. I think it will be a very competitive league next year, just a pity it has to be ruined by Celtic existing.

Well done to Mr Longwell on the youth development. Not sure how Gus can be criticised for not bringing through guys like J.McGinn as he would only have been about 15 at the time and I'm sure he has grown since then, both physically and mentally, no doubt through the good work of Mr Longwell and others.

I'm also unaware of any youth team players from the Gus era who now play at a decent level but to be honest I probably wouldn't know. Are there any?

Hopefully Mr Craig will be a nice mix of the good things which both Danny and Gus both brought to this fantastic football club.. The future is bright, the future is black and white.

Startling insight.

if Killie loose Boyd for any reason (injury, suspension, move) then they are the new hibs and then some.

RC spent a lot on loan players for the last part of the season and they are now gone. They will have to replace them.

Thistle could be better than last season but have already lost some of their best players,

All three will have to do very well in the transfer market to avoid being relegation fodder.

I'm also not convinced that Dundee and Hamilton will be that much better than Hearts/ Hibs.

Reilly isn't anywhere near good enough for the 1st team.

Heard the same about Kelly particularly after Imrie ripped him apart in the Renfrewshire Cup. I watched a good few of the U21s and he came into a game latter in the season also thought he did very well in the game against Newcastle, the boy is a talent. Doing it for the first team is another thing.but with youth you have to accept that they might take time to make the step up.

A really good article and encouraging. It all augurs well for the future of St.Mirren. Better watch David doesn't get head-hunted. I'm amazed that StuDick hasn't weighed in yet. He thinks our coaching system sucks like everything else connected with St.Mirren.

The thing about Rangers and Celtic and parents' attitude is surely true but Archie Gemmil could have signed for any team in Scotland. He was Rangers daft but knew that Rangers ruined more boys than they ever nurtured and decided to go with Saints..A smart move with the career he had.

Wee baldy bigot fanny.

Edited by shull

Ain't sure which bit you think I'm not serious about. He is definitely wee and definitely wasn't bald in 1964. He definitely supported Rangers when he was a boy. I'm almost certain his dad supported Rangers and I think that's why Archie did- that still happens now. In my view he wasn't a fanny. If he was a bigot I was honestly not aware of it. At least he was no worse than anybody else. I've only seen or spoken to Archie on a handful of occasions since he moved to Preston so maybe he changed. What's your take on him?