Renfrewshire Cup Final.......

HSS

I heard a rumour that we might be playing Morton in the final should we make it.

Obviously I jest, jest obviously indeed.

It is a bit of a walk for me, especially the slight incline at the rear of the "wee Dublin end" but I shall strive to make it to the should not be legal sub standard excuse for a stadium as I do enjoy seeing the Paisley greats lord it over our less fortunate and less clean Inverclyde neighbours. Even after all these years I still derive some enjoyment from this fixture, the best ever being the year our low class neighbours were embroiled in a betting scandal and bookie slips were strewn all over Cappielow. I still laugh today when I think of it...ha ha ha.

The fact that our Greenock underlings are slipping down the ranks in an Abercorn type fashion makes me want to go all the more but couple that with the fact that this will be an early chance to see oor Tommy's team then that slight incline does not seem so difficult now. I will be there and I may even dust off my old wooden rattle. If I am still alive of course!

I still derive some enjoyment from this fixture, the best ever being the year our low class neighbours were embroiled in a betting scandal and bookie slips were strewn all over Cappielow. I still laugh today when I think of it...ha ha ha.

I claim the credit for that one TT.

I borrowed 2 boxes of betting slips,6000 in total,from the toilet of the old bookies in Netherhill Rd and handed them out to the crowd on the way in.

It was a cracker....a cracker indeed.

I've grown rather tired of the Renfrewshire Cup Final these days. Last year was the first time in many a year I gave it a miss.

Back in the 70's and early 80's we used to play it over 2 legs sometime midway through the season or near the end and the games were really competitive.

Now it's just become a glorified training session, and depending on when the teams start back training can affect the result.

I wonder if we stopped the two legged games when we were starting to qualify for Europe on a regular basis? No doubt some historian can shed some light on the matter.

Maybe season 2015/16 we will be forced to cancel the Renfrewshire Cup game as we prepare ourselves for our assault on EUROPE....ach I can dream!

Anyway I'm away these dates , however I tend more to look at it as a benefit match for our poor neighbours to help them out in some small way. After all we did help them out with our flood lights and seats from the Love Street stand. It shows we have a heart for the unfortunate not so well off neighbours.

Edited by davidg

Have we actually played the semi yet?

Pretty presumptuous don't you think?

If either us or them lose then this game will go ahead as a regular friendly ;)

Definitely our most 'competitive friendly' although I am aware that is a slightly oxymoronic term. Hopefully we can get the win and give us a wee lift going into the start of the season.

Anyway I'm away these dates , however I tend more to look at it as a benefit match for our poor neighbours to help them out in some small way. After all we did help them out with our flood lights and seats from the Love Street stand. It shows we have a heart for the unfortunate not so well off neighbours.

Nice edit Davidg? blink.png

Are you selling your secretarial skills? tongue.png

Means nothing to anyone. Should be scrapped and replaced with a decent friendly against opposition the fans would like to go and see.

Like Newcastle last year?

Nah! This is a great friendly for both clubs, decent crowd guaranteed along with a relatively competitive fixture.

• 3 weeks later...