Creating A Strong Backbone ......

Everyone will have their own opinion about tactics, team formats, and how to approach each individual match against specific opposition. However, one constant that seems to flow through the most successful teams is a strong backbone that allows the rest of the team to play their own game and create an attacking force.

Is that Tommy Craig's template for St Mirren in 2014-15 and beyond ? I certainly hope so !

Four critical positions must be sorted.

GK - Kello and Ridgers (and maybe dilo ?). IMO this is a great start.

Centre back - at the moment it looks like McGregor will be a deserter. That leaves McAusland - is he strong enough to fulfil this key role ? The jury is out - some terrific MOM performances last season but consistency and outright blunders blot his copybook for me. I see him as the 'support' centre back, we need a more dominant figure in that pivotal role. Who can fill that role ? Perhaps Naismith who has been absolutely excellent this season but who would be a loss at attacking right back. Let's hope TC has someone in mind already.

Centre midfield ? Can Jim Goodwin be relied upon ? Back-up required.

Centre forward - we have an ageing front man who encompasses everything from sublime to ridiculous. There has to be someone younger coming through to fill this role very soon,

Help ! Suggestions anyone ?

Everyone will have their own opinion about tactics, team formats, and how to approach each individual match against specific opposition. However, one constant that seems to flow through the most successful teams is a strong backbone that allows the rest of the team to play their own game and create an attacking force.

Is that Tommy Craig's template for St Mirren in 2014-15 and beyond ? I certainly hope so !

Four critical positions must be sorted.

GK - Kello and Ridgers (and maybe dilo ?). IMO this is a great start.

Centre back - at the moment it looks like McGregor will be a deserter. That leaves McAusland - is he strong enough to fulfil this key role ? The jury is out - some terrific MOM performances last season but consistency and outright blunders blot his copybook for me. I see him as the 'support' centre back, we need a more dominant figure in that pivotal role. Who can fill that role ? Perhaps Naismith who has been absolutely excellent this season but who would be a loss at attacking right back. Let's hope TC has someone in mind already.

Centre midfield ? Can Jim Goodwin be relied upon ? Back-up required.

Centre forward - we have an ageing front man who encompasses everything from sublime to ridiculous. There has to be someone younger coming through to fill this role very soon,

Help ! Suggestions anyone ?

Dilo is offski, he's agent has filled his head with nonsense. We need atleast 8 or 9 new signings.

McGregor might still sign for Saints according to the BBC will make up his mind over the weekend.

Even if McGregor signs on we still need to bring in a good centre half would leave Naismith in the same roll as last season tremendous player so hope he is on a long deal.

Midfield need a few signings here as well as the forward like.

Like the names we are after but will they sign is another question ?

McGregor might still sign for Saints according to the BBC will make up his mind over the weekend.

Even if McGregor signs on we still need to bring in a good centre half would leave Naismith in the same roll as last season tremendous player so hope he is on a long deal.

Midfield need a few signings here as well as the forward like.

Like the names we are after but will they sign is another question ?[/quote

Gunning was rangers 1st choice target and his medical has fallen through at Sheffield Wednesday? I wonder if that could change the McGregor situation?

I think in reading tommy's interview on Ridgers signing we will be playing the passing football that we seen 3 seasons ago. He says about Ridgers that he can play the style of football we want.

Well I hope that's winning football.

I think we have a strong back bone already:

Kello

Cheesy

Goodwin

McGinn

Thompson

How many hundred top flight appearances they have the old yins have between them? Them and meatball make for a back bone that every other bottom 6 team would love to have.

Throw in Wylde who's my prediction for a break out big season next term, our young full backs going into their first full season and a few more selected signings and I think we're in for a fantastic season ahead.

I don't think I've been as optimistic at this stage of a preseason since 2006, can't wait :)

Edited by TopCat

I think we have a strong back none already:

Kello

Cheesy

Goodwin

McGinn

Thompson

When I saw cheesy in there I thought this was another knocking post about a back none, then I read the rest of your positive post and realised it was a pleasing typo. :)

Jury out on McAusland. No I don't think so IMO the guy is a liability and anybody with a football brain should be able to spot this a mile away.

Will be gutted if McAusland is a first team starter next season,ball on the deck hopeless makes stupid rash clearances and switches off IMO would love it if we sold him released or gave him away

The jury IS out on Cheesy. Some have a vendetta against him - no matter how he plays.

All Centre-backs in our league are prone to ocassional stupid mistakes, except maybe for Celtic and even then, have you seen Ambrose?

So. if not Cheesy, who are the available contenders?

I think we have a strong back bone already:

Kello

Cheesy

Goodwin

McGinn

Thompson

How many hundred top flight appearances they have the old yins have between them? Them and meatball make for a back bone that every other bottom 6 team would love to have.

Throw in Wylde who's my prediction for a break out big season next term, our young full backs going into their first full season and a few more selected signings and I think we're in for a fantastic season ahead.

I don't think I've been as optimistic at this stage of a preseason since 2006, can't wait :)

Thats the spirit! :)

The jury IS out on Cheesy. Some have a vendetta against him - no matter how he plays.

All Centre-backs in our league are prone to ocassional stupid mistakes, except maybe for Celtic and even then, have you seen Ambrose?

That is for the manager to decide or else he will follow his previous head coach on the road to ruin.

Danny made a stand and publicly defended the Mair / McAusland defensive partnership.

Admirable attempt to try and encourage them to greater performances... but ultimately the sword he fell on.

I must confess to wanting a big no nonsense hairy arsed defender who will go through a brick wall to claim and clear a ball....

TC's comments so far have me fearing that he wants defenders to have the tactical ability of Messi!

Jury out on McAusland. No I don't think so IMO the guy is a liability and anybody with a football brain should be able to spot this a mile away.

Will be gutted if McAusland is a first team starter next season,ball on the deck hopeless makes stupid rash clearances and switches off IMO would love it if we sold him released or gave him away

Jury's still out? He's played over 120 top flight games and in a national final, when does the jury come in?

He's improved every season since he came back and last year was his best for the club. He was the leader of a young defence last season, a defence which ended up being the 7th best in the country. What more do you want?

Not only is he a proven and experienced top flight level defender, he's a fan and I believe he'a future St Mirren captain. I hope and think that Tommy will build the defence around him next season.

I have no vendetta against McAusland but IMO he's just not physical enough. That, allied with a lack of pace and inability to concentrate for 90 mins mean he's simply not good enough for me. I look around at the teams we should be aspiring to be like (St Johnstone/ICT) and see no-nonsense types at the back who give them a strong, stable back line. That's the type of player I want. I'd be more than happy to keep him as a squad player but not as a starter.

Whilst McGregor was also prone to regular howlers he had a bit of pace that would get him out of trouble at times. If he goes we need to bring someone in with a little bit of pace at the back or that will be a weakness.

Wy do we need to sign so many new players?

With the incredible youth system and the never ending stream of quality players that have come through during Longwell's decade plus in charge, surely we can just use the youngsters?

Change your picture immediately,i do not wish to be reminded of the fact that we are governed by rich public schoolboys ,or reminded of the systematic rape of my countries women nor the forcible eviction of my people from their own lands.If you are so proud of the union jack there are season tickets still available at ibrox,c**t