Another Premiership Clubs Going 3G

pod

So why are there not a deluge of clubs, many who are short of money, installing this?

Probably cos of that "short of money" very reason - it'll be a big, initial capital hit.

The savings (if any) will accrue later down the road/the years.

Probably cos of that "short of money" very reason - it'll be a big, initial capital hit.

A pal of mine is a director of Bangor FC over here and they used their new 3G pitch for the first time last October. He told me the total cost was around £400k but I think that included £20k for new floodlights. Over here grants are available or Bangor could never afford it. If that kind of figure is near the mark it shouldn't be prohibitive for SPLteams. Whether it's wanted or not is something else. Warnock convinced me that savings in the future, the unlikelihood of postponements and the ability to use the pitch seven days a week makes it all really attractive and they are convinced they will get a lot of extra income. I'm a self-confessed old fashioned bugger but I think it is the way to go but thank f**k I won't have to play on one.

Surely a business plan could be presented to borrow this money if the benefits are as easy as suggested?

Overall I'm not sure the majority of professional footballers are keen on this surface, which could be another reason it's not being installed all over the place.

And I'd also like to know what ongoing maintenance costs might arise?

They surely wear out, get damaged...?

IIRC flares chucked on a pitch (Partick) caused damage that took a wee while to fix... Unlike a swift bucket of sand hastily brushed in....

IIRC flares chucked on a pitch (Partick) caused damage that took a wee while to fix... Unlike a swift bucket of sand hastily brushed in....

i asked my pal all those questions and there didn't seem to be any problems. Newtownards FC don't have a ground and they use Clandeboye Park too so it has been well used since last October with no difficulties. It was only a couple of weeks back I was talking to him. I'm not saying I'm 100% convinced but pretty near. The guy I'm talking about is a very shrewd, successful businessman who built up two companies and then sold them to retire. But we know change in football only happens very slowly if at all. What will happen in Scotland if the consultation procedure says stuff it? Do grounds get ripped up?

We've got a 3G pitch in the training complex, so, in theory, we are able to train on it to familiarise ourselves with it, before we play Kilmarnock etc.

Not that it seemed to work v's QOS last season...............................................

No need for us to go down the route of getting rid of the grass surface.

We're currently re-laying our pitch, so most likely will have the best playing surface in Scotland, again.

You rarely see people wearing flares , nowadays . Mostly straight leg trousers or Baggy Trousers, baggy trousers. .

You rarely see people wearing flares , nowadays . Mostly straight leg trousers or Baggy Trousers, baggy trousers. .

To be fair, if any supporters were going to wear flares it'd be Partick Thistle and their sizeable hipster fan base.

Killie installing artificial surface http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27741185

f**king disgrace. Anybody the went to Palmerston last season will know how bad they are, they are no where the same as grass, NFL in USA are getting rid as soon as poss bcause there hopeless, Bad move another death nail for Scottish Football.

I think the ongoing maintenance costs would be offset by Tommy D getting his jotters?

You don't need a tractor either

I think the ongoing maintenance costs would be offset by Tommy D getting his jotters?

You don't need a tractor either

It's still all in the melting pot. If over a few years clubs don't see significant savings then probably these pitches will be scrubbed. But what do current players make of them? We've got one at Ralston and lads are playing on them all over the UK. Some of our senior players have played on them quite a lot. Ask what they think. Old fashioned guys ( I'm one) shooting off their mouths with no knowledge of what they're like are in no position to judge. If FIFA like them , it will happen anyway.

To be fair, if any supporters were going to wear flares it'd be Partick Thistle and their sizeable hipster fan base.

Indeed , indeed , the dan-dares are all the rage still , up in Plastic Whistle land but you have to take your hat off to the exceptional wee fanzine that they have . It is very nice. . and funny too. .

So why are there not a deluge of clubs, many who are short of money, installing this?

Because as I have been patiently trying to explain to you, clubs spunk every penny on wages and don't save anything back for stuff like this.

It's as though the ability to see beyond today is a technique you lose when you take over a football club.

Surely a business plan could be presented to borrow this money if the benefits are as easy as suggested?

Overall I'm not sure the majority of professional footballers are keen on this surface, which could be another reason it's not being installed all over the place.

And how do we repay the money when every penny of our income is budgeted to be pissed away on players wages?

A pal of mine is a director of Bangor FC over here and they used their new 3G pitch for the first time last October. He told me the total cost was around £400k but I think that included £20k for new floodlights. Over here grants are available or Bangor could never afford it. If that kind of figure is near the mark it shouldn't be prohibitive for SPLteams. Whether it's wanted or not is something else. Warnock convinced me that savings in the future, the unlikelihood of postponements and the ability to use the pitch seven days a week makes it all really attractive and they are convinced they will get a lot of extra income. I'm a self-confessed old fashioned bugger but I think it is the way to go but thank f**k I won't have to play on one.

How many Saints games have been postponed in recent years due to the weather? I can only recall 2 which were the Ross County game that was abandoned and a Boxing Day game against Aberdeen. The Aberdeen game was called off not due to the condition of the pitch but the

surrounding roads. I think it would be a lot of money that could be better spent elsewhere within the club considering we have Ralston and the dome.

And how do we repay the money when every penny of our income is budgeted to be pissed away on players wages?

Totally missed my point. 1eye.gif

If you read my posts you will see that I'm far from convinced about artificial surfaces and I was questioning this so called "benefit" as a serious business proposal.

Please stop harping on, you seem to think repetition will change peoples views.

bye1.gif