Farewell To Rick Mayall

Russian Saint

Very sad.

i grew up watching The Young Ones - it appealed to my teenage sense of humour, but was clever in many ways. A classic, that made a huge impact on comedy. He was brilliant as Wic! Great as Alan B'stard, too.

56 year old not old by any means . what a comic genious loved his satire really funny guy . was excellent in young ones , the comic strip, and my favourite bottom him and ade were funniest guys ever. he made a few films as well . my son watches spongebob and guess who popped up in it . what a guy farewell and thanks for the memories.

I met Rik when I was 16, after seeing him perform at the Pavilion. I remember being surprised as he came across as very quiet and shy - not at all what I'd expected, but he was very friendly (and hoarse!).

That was my first ever comedy gig and I don't think I've ever laughed so uncontrollably since. I'd sneaked a wee tape recorder into the gig and bootlegged it - wish I still had the cassette.

Gutted to hear he's gone.

If the only thing he'd done was The Young Ones, like Steve Coogan's Alan Partridge or John Cleese's Basil Fawlty - he would have went down as one of the great British comic creations of all time. However, he was also involved in other brilliant shows like The New Statesman, Bottom.... and the criminally under-rated 'Filthy Rich & Catflap'. The episode where they killed the milkman was classic.

Too many classic Young Ones moments to even begin listing them.

I raise you a pint of Bombadier Lager and toast you Mr Mayall... RIP, and thank you for the memories.

My absolute hero. I used to watch episodes of the Young Ones over and over again. I still use various lines from that programme in every day life...

'the bathrooms free, unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta'

'do you really need that light on, what are you trying to do, photosynthesise?"

Even my daughter loved Drop Dead Fred.

And my wife absolutely hated me dragging her to see Guest House Paradiso. Loved that film.

He was a genius.

Edited by Isabella Duke

My absolute hero. I used to watch episodes of the Young Ones over and over again. I still use various lines from that programme in every day life...

'the bathrooms free, unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta'

'do you really need that light on, what are you trying to do, photosynthesise?"

Even my daughter loved Drop Dead Fred.

And my wife absolutely hated me dragging her to see Guest House Paradiso. Loved that film.

He was a genius.

I quite liked Mayall, and it's incredibly sad that he's gone so soon, probably as a result of his accident some years ago.

I like him all the more for showing Isabella has a "humane" side, quite a feat indeed.

The first thing I ever saw Rik Mayall in was a one-off comedy program called Boom Boom! Out go the Lights. He was a character called Rick who wrote “angry poetry” which, of course, was comically woeful and he threw two-fingers up to people in reverse, something I still do now & again.

I grew up laughing my arse off to his & Ade Edmondson’s stuff. There was, of course, The Young Ones, possibly my all-time favourite TV show. It’s amazing how they made the word “bastard” and the phrase “you utter bastard” such a cool thing to say at school the next day, as long as you said it in character.

There was also Kevin Turvey, Bottom, the wonderful Filthy, Rich & Catflap, The Comic Strip Presents..., The New Statesman and the fabulous Dangerous Brothers on Saturday Night Live. The complete anarchic & slapstick nonsense was an absolute Godsend for adolescents and it made such an impression that, like many on here, I still quote regularly.

Very, very sad news in the extreme. Cheers Rik; thanks for everything. Next time I get bored in my life I’ll give you a call and you can come round & kill me.

The first thing I ever saw Rik Mayall in was a one-off comedy program called Boom Boom! Out go the Lights. He was a character called Rick who wrote “angry poetry” which, of course, was comically woeful and he threw two-fingers up to people in reverse, something I still do now & again.

I grew up laughing my arse off to his & Ade Edmondson’s stuff. There was, of course, The Young Ones, possibly my all-time favourite TV show. It’s amazing how they made the word “bastard” and the phrase “you utter bastard” such a cool thing to say at school the next day, as long as you said it in character.

There was also Kevin Turvey, Bottom, the wonderful Filthy, Rich & Catflap, The Comic Strip Presents..., The New Statesman and the fabulous Dangerous Brothers on Saturday Night Live. The complete anarchic & slapstick nonsense was an absolute Godsend for adolescents and it made such an impression that, like many on here, I still quote regularly.

Very, very sad news in the extreme. Cheers Rik; thanks for everything. Next time I get bored in my life I’ll give you a call and you can come round & kill me.

My all time favourite episode was ‘nasty’ which featured an appearance by The Damned (Captain Sensible included!).

There are so many scenes and lines in that which were just genius.

The graveyard scene where the vicar starts off with “ashes to ashes” and Rik starts singing “funk to funky, we all know major tom’s a junky” before the vicar nuts him and throws him into the grave was similar to a real life classic I experienced at school.*

We were in home economics and the teacher told us to ensure the cakes were ‘golden brown’, where upon one of my class mates began singing out loud the Stranglers hit…

One of these moments you probably have to experience to find the funny side but it still makes me laugh even to this day.

Same guy was good at this sort of stuff in similar vein to Rik. On another occasion in a class the teacher had gone beserk and there was sudden quiet. This silence went on for about 10 mins with everyone working until this guy shouted out “this is worse than Tenko”. The laughter that ensued was on a par with the Roman soldiers in the Biggus Dickus scene.

• Love the follow up lines in this scene…
  • Rik – “help I’ve just fallen into a grave”
  • Viv – “great, let’s fill it in”
  • Neil – “no, we can’t bury Rik alive”
  • Viv – “you are absolutely correct Neil, let’s kill him first”… whack with the spade