Responses To Brian Caldwell Updates

I don't buy the home friendlies answer either! It happens every season and we don't have a commonwealth games every year!

We had a home friendly against Newcastle last year?

Couldn't give a hoot about home friendlies personally, I'd rather we were away from home.

I don't understand this mentality.

We simply do not have mega-rich owners. The current BoD have transformed a club at risk from going into administration/liquidation to running pretty much break even year on year.

They have earned the right to decide how the operating expenses are distributed. I'm pleased to see that the foreign training trip has been cancelled this year, as it is just another major expense when we have quality facilities at our training facility.

In the time they have been in control we have won the Div 1 twice, Challenge trophy and League Cup - there are two clubs 7 miles west and east who have boards who have been willing to speculate and both are running at significant losses year on year which could result in administration or liquidation.

Neither of those two clubs are currently in the top league and neither have won any major domestic honours in recent seasons.

I must stress if YOU want to change this "penny-pinching" approach then I'm sure Bryan McAusland would be more than happy to meet you.

Have you seen the books? We might be making a profit year on year with the amount of cut backs, avoiding paying for stewards, winning the cup, money for 8th etc certainly haven't seen much outgoing money. After all of this we still get beaten by every team to players. Not looking for us to break the bank, just to compete so we don't continuously end up in relegation trouble!

Have you seen the books? We might be making a profit year on year with the amount of cut backs, avoiding paying for stewards, winning the cup, money for 8th etc certainly haven't seen much outgoing money. After all of this we still get beaten by every team to players. Not looking for us to break the bank, just to compete so we don't continuously end up in relegation trouble![/quote

We will be relegation fodder most seasons, just need to get use to it.

Roll on the last minute dross signings.

I don't understand this mentality.

We simply do not have mega-rich owners. The current BoD have transformed a club at risk from going into administration/liquidation to running pretty much break even year on year.

They have earned the right to decide how the operating expenses are distributed. I'm pleased to see that the foreign training trip has been cancelled this year, as it is just another major expense when we have quality facilities at our training facility.

In the time they have been in control we have won the Div 1 twice, Challenge trophy and League Cup - there are two clubs 7 miles west and east who have boards who have been willing to speculate and both are running at significant losses year on year which could result in administration or liquidation.

Neither of those two clubs are currently in the top league and neither have won any major domestic honours in recent seasons.

I must stress if YOU want to change this "penny-pinching" approach then I'm sure Bryan McAusland would be

more than happy to meet you.

As long as it doesent involve his son not playing......

Lesson in consumerism 101:

When considering paying for a product or a service be sure to do your research. What do others think of the product? Does it work? Is it reliable? Does it offer good value for money? It is also useful to test out the product or service and maybe view a demonstration of how it works. Most importantly it makes sense to remember that once you have paid for your product it is highly unlikely that the suppliers will upgrade the product you have paid for without you having to pay extra for the upgrade.

If the board of directors have sold over 2,000 tickets at this stage in the season, where is their incentive to improve the quality of the product you've all paid for? The money is in the bank and the customers have again surrendered their bargaining chip. Now you'll get what you are given.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

The board are not being as wise as some of you think.

Penny pinching and running the club well are 2 totally different things when it comes to signing players.

If they were that clever how much return on investment (not just ££) was made on Imrie, bahoken, caprice, harkins and thats just in the last 12mths.

Whos £ are they being sensible with?

Are they investing their own £?

I think making sure the right standard if player comes in definatley pays off in the end. An extra 200k per year or so on wages is easily made back by finishing 7th instead of 10th.

Gambling would be paying big wages on the likes of Adam Rooney, kevin Thomson and Kris Boyd and not knowing if it will pay off like the latter 2 didnt. Also when you have assets like mclean and mcginn at the club they should based on merit be offered far greater terms than the less than 1k> deals that they are on.

Fxxxxng idiots!

Edited by GlenburnSaint

Penny pinching and running the club well are 2 totally different things when it comes to signing players.

If they were that clever how much return on investment (not just ££) was made on Imrie, bahoken, caprice, harkins and thats just in the last 12mths.

I think making sure the right standard if player comes in definatley pays off in the end. An extra 200k per year or so on wages is easily made back by finishing 7th instead of 10th.

Gambling would be paying big wages on the likes of Adam Rooney, kevin Thomson and Kris Boyd and not knowing if it will pay off like the latter 2. Also when you have assets like mclean and mcginn at the club they should based on merit be offered far greater terms than the less than 1k> deals that they are on.

Fxxxxng idiots!

2 out of the 3 players you mentioned finished below us. One was relegated and had a shocker of a season. Thank god you're not gambling for us. Edited by davidg

I've been very fortunate to have been able to afford to buy shares in St Mirren since late 90's share issue at a time when our club was really in dire straits. I must add I probably would not be able to do so now as I have a family. I've since donated those shares to SMISA as proxy. I've also been a SMISA member since it formed and will continue to support those guys.

So yes since I have seen the published accounts. I have witnessed the transformation from a club laden with debt with a crumbling stadium to the situation we find ourselves in a far more comfortable situation with a ground and training facilities that are some of the best in Scotland.

The BoD know I don't agree with everything they have done - but I trust they know from our conversation that I fully respect their financial and time investment into St Mirren Football Club Ltd.

We currently have some highly experienced players with international caps on our books alongside some of the best young talents in Scotland.

St Mirren have achieved this by not running up huge debts like teams like Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Aberdeen, Hearts and Dundee Utd.

St Mirren have not been in administration EVER unlike Motherwell, Dundee (twice), Hearts, Gretna, Livingston (twice), Rangers.

St Mirren have reached two major finals under this "penny pinching" approach and won a major honour. Look at Motherwell spunking money on players that they cannot afford - should we follow the path they take. For the record the last time Motherwell won a major trophy was 1991. Aberdeen won their first trophy in 19 years - they are crippled with debt and Milne is desparate to move from Pittodrie.

Hearts nearly died but time will tell whether they learn any lessons from what they have just gone through..

Dundee & Livingston never learned the lessons the first time. Will history repeat itself?

Oh aye and Gretna and Rangers both DIED chasing a fantasy and screwed numerous creditors.

I'd rather have a "penny pinching" approach than a "pound spunking" contest any season. At least that way we will all have a football team to support.

And for the record we don't make a great deal of profit EVER - we actually run one of the highest wage<>income ratios in the league - around 70%.

The biggest problem we face is that we just don't generate enough income to build a bigger and better squad.

If you want a comparison take a look at the PWC reports across all clubs.

http://pwc.blogs.com/files/2012---financial-review-of-spl-football2010-11_final.pdf

Good post - it gets kinda tiresome to continually hear that our BoD is penny pinching when they continually give just about every available pound to whichever manager is in charge.

I understand the present situation is frustrating - I would have liked to have seen us announce a few deals this week (and remember the Scottish transfer window didn't officially open till Monday) but I guess we're going to have to wait until players assess their options and decide who to sign with before announcements are made. It was disappointing to lose Dilo but I reckon Kello & Ridgers are a good start to building a decent squad for next season. There's not been anyone signed by an immediate rival that I'm gutted to have missed and more than a few I glad we have missed.

I guess we'll just have to keep the incontinence pants on for a wee while yet. Flush.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

Gambling would be paying big wages on the likes of Adam Rooney, kevin Thomson and Kris Boyd and not knowing if it will pay off like the latter 2 didnt. Also when you have assets like mclean and mcginn at the club they should based on merit be offered far greater terms than the less than 1k> deals that they are on.

Fxxxxng idiots!

You reckon we should pay players far greater than £1000 per week to kick a football?

On gates of about 4000?

And then you call those who won't finance that utter lunacy f**king idiots?

I'm sorry but lol.gif

Edited by oaksoft

You reckon we should pay players far greater than £1000 per week to kick a football?

On gates of about 4000?

And then you call those who won't finance that utter lunacy f**king idiots?

I'm sorry but lol.gif

Yes. Especially if we could get as high as 7 figure sums for them if we a) could keep a hold of them and B) sell them on rather than surrender them to shitty bosmans clinging to the hope of a development fee.

Many on here bang on about having the youth facilities and up and coming talent but whats the point if we dont reward them with contracts longer than a year or at the most 2.

Players like mcginn and mclean only come once a blue moon just ask hamilton. The only difference is they got their reward as they identified the talent and made appropriate sums of money for them.

On to the signings my answer would be yes again. If they are good enough and money shouldnt be much of a worry as a few decent earners wont be here next season.