Favourite Western, Cowboy, Etc On Tv Or Movies

shull

1. Shane - Set at the end of the "open range" period of the West it's about a gunfighter trying to leave his past life behind, contains the classic "man in black hat" performance from Jack Palance. Oh and Shane isn't Jesus/God!

Bit of trivia - Shane is Woody Allens favourite Western.

Come back Shane!

2. Once Upon a Time in the West - Stars Henry Fonda (Leone's original choice to play The Man With No Name), Chuck Bronson and a film-stealing performance from Jason Robards as Cheyenne - three men fated to shoot it out at the end. More grown up then the Dollars trilogy as you are given some motivation for what is going on

Cheyenne: Harmonica, a town built around a railroad.

[laughs]

Cheyenne: You could make a fortune. Hundreds of thousands of dollars. Hey, more than that. Thousands of thousands.

Harmonica: They call them "millions."

Cheyenne: "Millions." Hmm.

Plenty other pithy dialogue too, a great soundtrack from Ennio Morricone and featuring the lovely Claudia Cardinale - what more could you want?

3. Blazing Saddles - the fillum that killed the genre! lol.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

Django Unchained.

I normally hate the Western genre but Django was clever, witty and brilliantly shot.

I'd have thought you were more of a John (I'm only dancing) Wayne fan..?

He stood so proud when ever he heard....

"The Injuns are coming"

With that pistol he was packing he'd regularly take two or three on at a time, or so legend has it..!

I absolutely love westerns and my favourite movie is The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. The Dook at his best. Shane was fantastic. I remember my folks taking me to see it at The Regal when it first came out. How I wanted to be Joey played by Brandon deWilde. The sunset scene at the end haunted me. And on TV, the very first western series I saw was Wyatt Earp with Hugh O'Brien playing him. Loved it to bits. I saw Django Unchained and to my surprise I really enjoyed it. Very funny and very violent. And great acting. Christoph Waltz was superb as was Jamie Foxx and Leonardo DiCaprio. Yon young director Tarantino might have a big future.

'The good, the bad and the ugly' - Clint at his best.

How the West was Won for it's scope and cinematography ( i.e. nice views) and Winchester '73 both for Jimmy Stewart

A Man Called Horse - for the nipple winch... Richard Harris did it for real, allegedly. What a man.

'The good, the bad and the ugly' - Clint at his best.

How the West was Won for it's scope and cinematography ( i.e. nice views) and Winchester '73 both for Jimmy Stewart

A Man Called Horse - for the nipple winch... Richard Harris did it for real, allegedly. What a man.

Famous for it's cinematography - the following quote has been lifted shamelessly from Wikipedia! bag.gif

How the West Was Won was one of only two dramatic feature films (the other being The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm) made using the three-strip Cinerama process. Although the picture quality when projected onto curved screens in theatres was stunning, attempts to convert the movie to a smaller screen suffer from that process's technical shortcomings. When seen in letterbox format the actors' faces are nearly indistinguishable in long shots.

300px-Westwon_trailer_Fonda.png
magnify-clip.png
Henry Fonda as a buffalo hunter

John Ford complained about having to dress such huge sets since Cinerama photographed a much wider view than the standard single camera process to which Hollywood directors had become accustomed. Director Henry Hathaway was quoted as saying, "That damned Cinerama. Do you know a waist-shot is as close as you can get with that thing?"

An even more difficult problem was that the film had to be shot with the actors artificially positioned out of dramatic and emotional frame, and out of synchronization with one another. Only when the three-print Cinerama process was projected upon a Cinerama screen would the positions and emotions of the actors synchronize, such as normal eye-contact or emotional harmony between actors in a dramatic sequence. Because of the nature of Cinerama if film were shown in flat screen projection it would appear as if the actors were not making eye contact at all.

One brief scene of Mexican soldiers was generously sourced by John Wayne from the 1960 version of The Alamo, which he starred in, produced, and directed.

Stuntman Bob Morgan, husband of Yvonne De Carlo, was seriously injured and lost a leg during a break in filming a gunfight on a moving train while filming "The Outlaws" portion. Chains holding logs on a flat-bed car broke, crushing Morgan as he crouched beside them.[7]

A 1965 Western called For A Few Dollars More

Stars Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef as 2 bounty Hunters

Directed by Sergio Leone

Remember seeing it as a kid on tv and thinking this is one of the coolest films ever made. Probably seen it about 500 times since and still love every minute of it.

A 1965 Western called For A Few Dollars More

Stars Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef as 2 bounty Hunters

Directed by Sergio Leone

Remember seeing it as a kid on tv and thinking this is one of the coolest films ever made. Probably seen it about 500 times since and still love every minute of it.

Aye the 2nd of the Sergio Leone trilogy...

1:A Fistful of Dollars

2:For a Few Dollars More

3:The Good, The Bad and The Ugly...

Treat yerself to the blu-ray boxset, looks and sounds magic ! zorro.gifwhistling.gifzorro.gifwhistling.gifzorro.gifwhistling.gif

Edited by FS