Motherwell V St Mirren Spfl Premiership 9/8/13

shull

I think we need to give Goodwin a break. 2 fouls in 73 minutes isn't necessarily liability material. I'm quite confident BBC Alba's full match coverage will also show plenty of other players disputing decisions and talking back to the referee.

John McGinn committed 7 fouls in the game without picking up a booking

Callum Ball committed 3 fouls in the game without picking up a booking

James Marwood commited 2 fouls and had a handball given against him without picking up a booking

Keith Lasley committed 3 fouls without getting booked

John Sutton committed 2 fouls in a minute without getting booked...

That's it in a nutshell

I bet Lasley at least committed double amount of fouls but no cards

I'd love to agree with you but if, as reported, second yellow was for dissent then Goodwin's reputation had nothing to do with it and he was just stupid.

That's it in a nutshell

I bet Lasley at least committed double amount of fouls but no cards

How John McGinn didn't get booked today is a miracle. Maybe the ref thought he was Keith Lasley..............................

However, Goodwin's first tackle was reckless. Would a 'Well player have been booked for it? I'm not convinced.

What is f**king idiotic, on Goodwin's part, is thinking he could talk back to the referee. He should know by now he's a marked man due, in some part, to his own actions. Rightly or wrongly, he's got to factor this into his game. I thought he played well today.

We also have to add the fact that Callum Murray is a complete cúnt of the highest order.

I thought both Ellis Plummer and Tess oozed class today and that McAusland played well too.

Marwood showed up in patches and so did Wylde. However if he could only learn to put in a decent cross into the box on a consistent basis.

However, onto my biggest bugbear, after Goodwin's dissent.

I lost count (I ran out of fingers) how many times Marwood, McGinn and McLean got themselves into great shooting positions then inexplicably decided to pass.

On the one occasion that 'Well got clear shot at goal the player blootered it, Kello parried it out (when he should probably should have pushed it out wide) and the striker followed up to rifle it home. Maybe, if we hadn't been so shot shy, then we might have benefited from it.

Thought there were a couple of possible penalty calls with McLean being barged from the back and a handball.

Not as disastrous as some would have us believe, but there is still a certain sense of inevitability about the way we play and what the end result will be.

Edited by FTOF

He committed 1 more foul in 40 minutes...

You do realise that's irrelevant as he got booked for being incapable of keeping his gob shut?

The guy is a complete liability. What he does on the park is nowhere near positive enough to balance off the complete idiocy that he shows on a regular basis.

Really encouraging signs for the season ahead. I thought we played well, took the game to Motherwell and on another day would have scored plenty.

Tess was class, great to have him back at the club.

Plummer and cheese played well at the back also.

It was a powerful shot that lead to the goal but I thought Kello could have pushed the ball out wide instead of back into the danger area.

Sending off was strange at the time. We didn't know if it was mistaken identity or a for something he said to the ref. I'm surprised he lasted as long, he was a tackle away from a second yellow as he made a bad foul a few mins after being booked.

Ref was inconsistent, McGinn put himself about a bit today and was lucky to escape a card as was Lasley.

We look a real threat going forward and have plenty of options.

Bad result but certainly not a bad performance.

We were powderpuff in attacking areas today , if we were still playing now we still wouldn't have scored , very worrying.

Callum Murray is past his sell-by date I'm afraid , allowed that f**kin' nonce Lasley to con him all day and failed to punish several tackles worthy of cards also allowed blatant time wasting to go unpunished !

That was the worst Motherwell team I've seen since we returned to the SPL in 2006 , the signs aren't good for us IMO !

I think we need to give Goodwin a break. 2 fouls in 73 minutes isn't necessarily liability material. I'm quite confident BBC Alba's full match coverage will also show plenty of other players disputing decisions and talking back to the referee.

John McGinn committed 7 fouls in the game without picking up a booking

Callum Ball committed 3 fouls in the game without picking up a booking

James Marwood commited 2 fouls and had a handball given against him without picking up a booking

Keith Lasley committed 3 fouls without getting booked

John Sutton committed 2 fouls in a minute without getting booked...

People on here are not commenting on GD based on this one game but over the past 2 seasons where he has shown a consistency for irresponsibility if it was applied to our results would guarantee us a place in the top three.

People on here are not commenting on GD based on this one game but over the past 2 seasons where he has shown a consistency for irresponsibility if it was applied to our results would guarantee us a place in the top three.

For "GD" read "JG" - not thinking straight in my depressed state!

We were powderpuff in attacking areas today , if we were still playing now we still wouldn't have scored , very worrying.

Callum Murray is past his sell-by date I'm afraid , allowed that f**kin' nonce Lasley to con him all day and failed to punish several tackles worthy of cards also allowed blatant time wasting to go unpunished !

That was the worst Motherwell team I've seen since we returned to the SPL in 2006 , the signs aren't good for us IMO !

How the hell can you say that after 1 game the comms said mcall should be wearing a mask because it waa daylight robbery.

Sending off was strange at the time. We didn't know if it was mistaken identity or a for something he said to the ref. I'm surprised he lasted as long, he was a tackle away from a second yellow as he made a bad foul a few mins after being booked.

Goodwin's second foul (and last one in the game) came 10 minutes after his booking. Sutton had 2 fouls in a minute.

And so the Jim Goodwin witch hunt begins...

Change the record. Jim is a St Mirren legend and he will always have my support.

It's not a witch hunt.

You're Jim Goodwin, you're on a booking, so you decide to mouth off at the referee.

What's not idiotic about that?

I've defended Goodwin to the hilt in the past.

Today,I'm just scunnered by his actions.

Edited by FTOF

Goodwin's second foul (and last one in the game) came 10 minutes after his booking. Sutton had 2 fouls in a minute.

Were you at the game today?

Reason I ask is The second tackle I'm talking about was borderline a booking. The ref held his arms out and played advantage so no foul was given. BBC stats wouldn't have this as a foul as the game wasn't stopped.

Foul stats don't mean anything and can't be an argument for who should and shouldn't have been booked. The nature of the foul isn't recorded in these stats.

Edited by davidg

As much as Goodwin was a total idiot today with regards to his sending off, I thought it was encouraging how we played with 10 men.

Motherwell didn't really create an awful lot, if our finishing was better , we could've coasted t a win - even with 10 men.

That's the way football goes sometimes though, I guess.

Bad result but certainly not a bad performance.

Agree with this entirely.

Barring putting the ball in the net it was a great performance. In truth Motherwell had 2 or 3 clear chances. Kello made two good saves throughout the game. The other had very little chance with, just bad luck the ball fell kindly. Motherwell keeper did it twice in second half and got away it it.

Back four played well. All 4 covered well for each other and even as the game stretched in the second half every run was comfortably covered. Plummer looks a very accomplished footballer. Tess fitted back in very well. Cheesy and Naismith did very little if anything wrong through the game. We built from the back well and defended comfortably.

Midfield...Goodwin played well. Late tackle for first booking, but if second for dissent stupidity personified. McLean playing on right had a number of great through balls. McGinn caught a couple of times in possession but fantastic performance. Wylde in patches great but agree final ball needs a bit of work, but put himself in some good positions and if not for Motherwell keeper would have got a cracker.

Ball lacking a bit in fitness but looks a good striker. Marwood offers something different and full of pace, just needs to have the confidence to pull the trigger and have a go.

Caldwell unlucky with a great strike and looks promising.

Promising performance, disappointing result particularly with the attacking nature of the side.

Time will tell. I don't think Motherwell played particularly well, but this was in part down to us playing well. I hope this isn't tainted by blind optimism, but with our star man up top we would have won today.

Hamilton game will go a long way to settling the nerves of the knicker wetters...hopefully. I thought we looked better than last season. Just missing the end result.

Edited by Bart Simpson