Kenny Mclean Signs 2 Year Deal

How the feck have we managed to keep him and Kello?

The way I see things , these guys wouldn,t have signed if they thought St Mirren would struggle this season.

They must have confidence in the existing group of players in the squad , and the youngsters coming through , and maybe be aware of the calibre of signings which we are trying to make.

Looking forward to seeing the new squad take shape.

Its great that McLean has chosen to stay with us, with the 2 year deal and no doubt a higher wage we now have insurance that any bid in Jan or next summer will need to be minimum 500k. A one season deal would have left the club without any revenue coverage and we'd have been left be stretching the wage bill with no real chance of transfer income.

Anyone struggling to understand why this is good news should consider, we can't get better quality than him in the signing market and we've covered our position for transfer revenue from the player in the next 3 transfer windows. So good news on the field and sensible thinking ahead.

I do think McLean can develop into a full internationalist (although most likely not while he's still with us), which would be a positive milestone for the team at Ralston. The challenge will be keeping his consistency at the level it was in his 2 strong spells last season.

Edited by Bloomsbury Bud

Anyone struggling to understand why this is good news should consider, we can't get better quality than him in the signing market.

This is the key point,

Likewise McGinn.

Folk shouldn't underestimate just how significant this deal is for the club. It has also put down a marker in terms of demonstrating genuine ambition and the means by which to realise this. This will influence other players, whether still at the club or potential signings.

I am not buying the line that the compensation issue left Kenny with no option but to remain as English clubs weren't willing to front up the cash. Perhaps if we were sitting at 11pm on transfer deadline day with no interest in the player I might see the strength of the argument.

I don't care much for the whatabouterry that some (few, albeit) might indulge in regarding the deal. I think it is glorious news. Just brilliant!

Edited by Drew

Last minute for him doughnut not us,as in he wouldnt be getting paid if he didnt sign a new deal

I dont think any saints fans have a problem with our young players looking around when their contracts are up to see where there future lies, we all want them to have good careers. Id have only had a problem with McLean if he came back to us and only was prepared to sign a one year deal but he hasnt, he's signed a deal that is good for him and good for us, if he has another good season then he might well go either at xmas or next summer for a decent chunk of money, or we get two years out of him before he moves on and will have done us a great turn for 5 years before leaving.

That's how it should work for all young players.

You could see Kenny getting frustrated last year any time a sub came on, he was the guy that had to move to accommodate him due to being able to play anywhere in midfield from holding to the no.10 position, one game he got moved about 4 times in a single match. With no McGowan kenny is going to the main man who we can build the team around, I think he will thrive in that role.

Delighted that McLean is staying, and also that it looks like McGinn will also stay. These should be our main men in midfield next season. Give them the responsibility and they will thrive - both have outstanding ability. I'm excited for next season now, and with hopefully another couple to come in, I can't wait for the big kick off now.

• 6 months later...