The World Cup R.i.p.

shull

Oaksoft is quite right though I have enjoyed the world cup this year despite the diving and over inflated wages, but even more depressing is potential quarter finalists arguing over bonuses (reminder of that league cup final), and even worse if true that 7 Cameroon players talking money to fix spot bets. But I have to get off my high horse cos I'm still enjoying it. I've found it interesting after 10 years of 4,2,3,1 how many teams have changed to 3,2,3,2 because you can be sure half the spfl managers will be trying it out next season. Who´s for cheesy, Kelly, and Naismith at the back next time out?

Edited by Mykey

Turn a blind eye? Who said that. Robben being a diving cnut has not ruined the World Cup for me. It's surely not a difficult concept to get your head around.

If it was just about Robben maybe I'd agree.

As someone else above says, players squabbling over bonuses (all already obscenely well paid internationals); all the crap surrounding Suarez (almost a week of it now and people are still talking about it); Cameroon and match fixing claims; players from virtually every team diving and rolling around like pussies.

Sorry but for me that's way more than one bottle tainted by shit.

If it was just about Robben maybe I'd agree.

As someone else above says, players squabbling over bonuses (all already obscenely well paid internationals); all the crap surrounding Suarez (almost a week of it now and people are still talking about it); Cameroon and match fixing claims; players from virtually every team diving and rolling around like pussies.

Sorry but for me that's way more than one bottle tainted by shit.

I get where you're coming from, and in a perfect world Robben would play the game like Bobby Moore or Pele, African teams wouldn't self-destruct, and everything would be whiter than white.

Time for the authorities to hammer cheats and get tough.... But the authorities themselves are up to their eyes in it - Qatar anyone? Closer to home - the Rangers affair and how their new incarnation was slipstreamed into the fourth tier?

Call me a cynic, just don't call me Shirley.

Edited by pozbaird

Just about to leave work.

Watched the tail end of Nadal getting kicked out of Wimbledon by a teenager.

Then watched the last couple of minutes of the Argentina game and had the "privilege" of watching a Swiss player deliberately dive with absolutely no contact whatsoever to give his team a free kick right on the edge of the box.

Mark Lawrenson's opinion? The defender "made it easy for the ref".

The farce continues.

The last time I saw something this farcical was when they brought Bobby Ewing back in Dallas.

Edited by oaksoft

just left a lot of disappointed people in the pub

Not as disappointed as pubs in England, Italy, Spain, or Portugal I hope! I was in Denver for the first five days of the World Cup. It was hugely noticeable how into it the Americans were. I didn't struggle (unlike previous tournaments) to find a pub showing it. All the bars had it on - this despite the Stanley Cup final and NBA finals also being on. USA shirts were being worn on the streets, a World Cup fanzone was showing games on a big screen just off the 16th Street main drag through Denver city centre. Colorado Rapids MLS side had a roadshow going on. I actually couldn't believe how much more visible the World Cup was over there this time.

They've got a team to be proud of too. What guts.

Not as disappointed as pubs in England, Italy, Spain, or Portugal I hope! I was in Denver for the first five days of the World Cup. It was hugely noticeable how into it the Americans were. I didn't struggle (unlike previous tournaments) to find a pub showing it. All the bars had it on - this despite the Stanley Cup final and NBA finals also being on. USA shirts were being worn on the streets, a World Cup fanzone was showing games on a big screen just off the 16th Street main drag through Denver city centre. Colorado Rapids MLS side had a roadshow going on. I actually couldn't believe how much more visible the World Cup was over there this time.

They've got a team to be proud of too. What guts.

I am not a big fan of brand USA, it has to be said, but their soccer team were magnificent tonight. Fantastic attitude, and no primadonna arseholes on show.

But, hey....what a fantastic match. Buzzing after that!

I am not a big fan of brand USA, it has to be said, but their soccer team were magnificent tonight. Fantastic attitude, and no primadonna arseholes on show.

I agree that the Yanks showed grit, determination and courage but, "fantastic match"? Not to my mind

It was littered with mistakes and poor delivery. At one stage the misplaced passes between the re of Belguim and the white of the states made it look like a Hamilton strip!

Add to this the Belgian keeper could have had his armchair out for most of the match.

The excitement,

such as it was, was created because neither team could hold the ball. Not because the opposition pressed but simply because they all seemed to be wearing ballerina pumps!

Edited by stlucifer

In regard to 'brand USA' and 'soccer'... A weird role reversal is going on. Millions more kids are playing soccer, as parents baulk at the physical dangers of American football, and the expense involved in kit.

On a professional level, Beckham is fronting a new MLS expansion side in Miami, soccer is vastly more visible in the press, and the American public are increasingly clued-in on soccer. I experienced this first hand many times a few weeks ago, when Americans spoke to me in terms that when they heard I was Scottish, they knew about The Rangers implosion, and our national side had been getting better results recently.

In regard to American football - three regular season games at Wembley, all sold out 8 months in advance, new university teams springing up, TV viewing figures up 50% for season games and also up for the Superbowl. Talk of a London franchise, regular roadshows around the UK with NFL players and Sky Sports prsenters, an NFL Europe shop....

Funny old world right enough.