Starting 11 V M*rton

When you look at the starting 11 and the squad in general at the moment it isn't going to be a squad who get near the top 6 again this year. We have some very good players no doubt about that, but given the teams in the division this year we should be aiming for top 6 and building a squad that can achieve it. We've let 10 players leave, some of them were the bigger earners and we've replaced them with guys who are low risk but don't exactly have the fans excited.

I'm not wanting us to go out and waste money but I do feel we could be making a statement of intent if we could bring in some proven players at this level, Clarkson or McFadden for example would be worth a shot and I don't think they would cost the earth. We've been treading water for years now while teams like the fakes and Inverness are top 6 now, I would love us to get there, and this year is a great chance if the club want it.

We will without doubt bring in another 4 players but I hope they are players that get the fans excited

That's the point the club don't want top 6! And they haven't since the hasslebaink, tesselaar, Carey season. Ever since all it's been is a cost cutting exercise and signing players who'd struggle in the first division.

And all the happy clappers on here will say that's rubbish but deep down they know it is the case! Sometimes I question what sort of regime it is we're all supporting and spending good money on with no ambition in return!

Edited by Big Yards

That's the point the club don't want top 6! And they haven't since the hasslebaink, tesselaar, Carey season. Ever since all it's been is a cost cutting exercise and signing players who'd struggle in the first division.

And all the happy clappers on here will say that's rubbish but deep down they know it is the case! Sometimes I question what sort of regime it is we're all supporting and spending good money on with no ambition in return!

The Club wishes to win everything. ( League, Scottish Cup & League Cup )

In reality, we can win both Cups and we could possibly finish 2nd in the League.

In trying for the above, the Club must budget sensibly.in relation to a hardcore support of around 2800 fans.

Therefore no overspending or we will f*cking die.

STOP BEING A TRUMPET !

THANKS !!! bye1.gif

The Club wishes to win everything. ( League, Scottish Cup & League Cup )

In reality, we can win both Cups and we could possibly finish 2nd in the League.

In trying for the above, the Club must budget sensibly.in relation to a hardcore support of around 2800 fans.

Therefore no overspending or we will f*cking die.

STOP BEING A TRUMPET !

THANKS !!! bye1.gif

Not talking about over spending which is what keeps getting thrown back every time someone dares to point out that we've offloaded far more players than we've brought in. Just give us some sort of quality signing, not boys on loan or a rejects from lower league club! We're a premier league club run like a first division one!

Two games played to wins achieved no goals conceded. This is a better start than last pre+season yet some nickerwetter posters are still not happy !

I certainly wouldn't say I'm nickerwetting but if having the opinion that we should be pushing on rather than treading water comes across like nickerwetting then that's fine.

Pre season means nothing regardless of results, especially against very limited opposition, I will however say we do at least have a goalkeeper and back four already in place, although another cb wouldn't go a miss. As said before, I feel we need 4 players in of decent calibre, but I wouldn't sacrifice our financial situation to chase the top 6

The result demonstrates in how much better knick we are now compared to last year.

Remember that mob came to Paisley and humped us last preseason.

Was mainly positives for me today, especially considering we were missing 4 first choice players (Goodwin, Thompson, Kelly and Plummer).

The squad has depth that we simply never had last year, this squad is better balanced and stronger IMO. Last year we finished 8th, next year we will finish higher. Mark my words.

Edited by TopCat

Not talking about over spending which is what keeps getting thrown back every time someone dares to point out that we've offloaded far more players than we've brought in. Just give us some sort of quality signing, not boys on loan or a rejects from lower league club! We're a premier league club run like a first division one!

WE DESIRE TO REMAIN SOLVENT AND WILL THEREFORE LIVE WITHIN OUR MEANS.

Aberdeen are a Premiership team.

If we spend similar to them we will become deceased.

So you fancy that brand new sports car , you can get the finance only problem is it will leave you with not much free money for anything else.

The wise will drop their interest in the car because deep down they know they cant afford it.

It's St Mirren you support not a club that spends what it does not have and rightly so given our history in that department.

Don't write off the team before a ball is kicked in earnest

Hopefully this will calm a few folk down on here...

Tommy Craig in the post match interview: "I would like to bring in a couple of more experienced players to beef up the squad. I will be actively scouting this week.”"

Tommy is our leader clap.gif

Hopefully this will calm a few folk down on here...

Tommy Craig in the post match interview: "I would like to bring in a couple of more experienced players to beef up the squad. I will be actively scouting this week."

After the "quality " we have attracted so far this close season - tommy better not miss out on the boys brigade or girl guides - scouting .... My arse!

After the "quality " we have attracted so far this close season - tommy better not miss out on the boys brigade or girl guides - scouting .... My arse!

Indeed, I'm sure we should have signed............who exactly?

Some people have no idea how to run a football club without running it into the ground.

Indeed, I'm sure we should have signed............who exactly?

Some people have no idea how to run a football club without running it into the ground.

Why - who would you have signed ?

What do I say that would run our beloved club into the ground?

I make the fair and reasoned point that up to this point in the close season Tommy hasn't as yet managed to secure the signature of proven SPL QUALITY

Do you think that by signing a few quality names it will run the club into the ground?

You are right - some people have no idea how to run a football club

When you look at the starting 11 and the squad in general at the moment it isn't going to be a squad who get near the top 6 again this year. We have some very good players no doubt about that, but given the teams in the division this year we should be aiming for top 6 and building a squad that can achieve it. We've let 10 players leave, some of them were the bigger earners and we've replaced them with guys who are low risk but don't exactly have the fans excited.

I'm not wanting us to go out and waste money but I do feel we could be making a statement of intent if we could bring in some proven players at this level, Clarkson or McFadden for example would be worth a shot and I don't think they would cost the earth. We've been treading water for years now while teams like the fakes and Inverness are top 6 now, I would love us to get there, and this year is a great chance if the club want it.

We will without doubt bring in another 4 players but I hope they are players that get the fans excited

Wrong we asked about both and the figures would have ment them being our top earners by about double.

Wrong we asked about both and the figures would have ment them being our top earners by about double.

Who gave you that info? I would be amazed if any of these 2 were demanding more than 3k a week in their current situation, I'm not saying that's what we should pay guys like this but if the figures that we are believed to have given Gowser and harkins are now available then why not try get a couple of better quality players in

Who gave you that info? I would be amazed if any of these 2 were demanding more than 3k a week in their current situation, I'm not saying that's what we should pay guys like this but if the figures that we are believed to have given Gowser and harkins are now available then why not try get a couple of better quality players in

Do you think that losing games against Hearts and Hibs and having them replaced by games against Accies and Dundee will have affected our budget in any way?

But are they available to spend?

Record breaking contract to McLean.

Pitch re-laid.

Hearts and Hibs no longer in division.

These are all factors that might ensure that the perceived amounts that we may or may not have recouped, may not be available to put directly into the playing budget.

Only the board know what's available after working out the yearly budget.

But are they available to spend?

Record breaking contract to McLean.

Pitch re-laid.

Hearts and Hibs no longer in division.

These are all factors that might ensure that the perceived amounts that we may or may not have recouped, may not be available to put directly into the playing

Only the board know what's available after working out the yearly budget.

Yeah I can understand all that and I would never want to put our stability at risk just for a couple of good seasons. We lost 10 players and therefore 10 wages, I would at least expect us to get 6 players minimum into the squad, yesterday showed our lack of depth, I feel a couple of experienced players would turn us from being relegation candidates again, into top 6 challengers.

Guys like Magennis, Cairney, Mcpake etc are guys that would have provided good cover to the starting 11, if we get through the season with our strongest 11 every week then we will do well, but losing a couple of players will leave us short in my opinion.

Yeah I can understand all that and I would never want to put our stability at risk just for a couple of good seasons. We lost 10 players and therefore 10 wages, I would at least expect us to get 6 players minimum into the squad, yesterday showed our lack of depth, I feel a couple of experienced players would turn us from being relegation candidates again, into top 6 challengers.

Guys like Magennis, Cairney, Mcpake etc are guys that would have provided good cover to the starting 11, if we get through the season with our strongest 11 every week then we will do well, but losing a couple of players will leave us short in my opinion.

I don't disagree with most of what you've said.

I think we'd all be happier with an experienced CH plus another as back up and experienced cover for Sir.Thommo, in the form of a target man type player. However, if wage demands are exorbitant for a particular player, then we'll probably pass on signing them.

TC is in the media stating that this week is make or break time for the youngsters to show they are good enough for the first team. As I've said elsewhere TC seems to be wanting to bring through young players, as opposed to signing the usual suspects. All very laudable, but not without risks.

I'm quite happy we missed out on McPake. Magennis and Cairney are meh signings IMO.

I'd much rather see the likes of Williams, Brown and Hughes being tried rather than the three you've mentioned.

As it stands, there aren't any players that our immediate competition has signed that I'm too fussed we missed out on.

I don't disagree with most of what you've said.

I think we'd all be happier with an experienced CH plus another as back up and experienced cover for Sir.Thommo, in the form of a target man type player. However, if wage demands are exorbitant for a particular player, then we'll probably pass on signing them.

TC is in the media stating that this week is make or break time for the youngsters to show they are good enough for the first team. As I've said elsewhere TC seems to be wanting to bring through young players, as opposed to signing the usual suspects. All very laudable, but not without risks.

I'm quite happy we missed out on McPake. Magennis and Cairney are meh signings IMO.

I'd much rather see the likes of Williams, Brown and Hughes being tried rather than the three you've mentioned.

As it stands, there aren't any players that our immediate competition has signed that I'm too fussed we missed out on.

Agree with what you've said mate, I do hope the young guys do turn out to be good enough and if we go with them the risk pays off, I would be far happier with young hungry guys wanting to play than guys like Harkins who have no appetite but demand high wages.

Just hoping we get a bit of cover with experience either way

I'd agree but I'm told they are looking for more by a fairly reliable source.

I'd also question if Faddy or Clarkson is actually worth even 3K per week.

So how did the team set up for the game? Formation etc?

What kind of football is TC trying to play? Is it the passing, keeping possession game of 2/3 seasons ago or is he going for the dire football like last season?

With the two young midfielders, Brown and Hughes, what positions do they play? Any a right winger as I don't see teale making more games than last season.

I couldn't make the game so just wondering how we are looking.

So how did the team set up for the game? Formation etc?

What kind of football is TC trying to play? Is it the passing, keeping possession game of 2/3 seasons ago or is he going for the dire football like last season?

With the two young midfielders, Brown and Hughes, what positions do they play? Any a right winger as I don't see teale making more games than last season.

I couldn't make the game so just wondering how we are looking.

4-4-2

We certainly seem to be reverting to a passing game. Still too many careless passes though. Although, without Sir.Thommo, there's not much point in punting the ball long.

Brown is a right sided forward/mid fielder. When we signed him from the green bigots, I'm sure he was described as a winger.

Anyway, he was a straight swap for Teale and was a big improvement and looked pretty lively.

Declan Hughes is a holding midfielder and is strong in the tackle.ohmy.png

Kello will make a big difference this season. His handling of crosses, despite the pishing rain, was excellent and he made a superb save at 0 - 0, just before we scored.

We certainly look better than we did at this point last season IMO.