Starting 11 V M*rton

4-4-2

We certainly seem to be reverting to a passing game. Still too many careless passes though. Although, without Sir.Thommo, there's not much point in punting the ball long.

incorrect

the purpose of the long ball is to get it into the attacking third as quickly and as often as possible them battle for possession.

two thirds of all goals come from a move which begins with a regain of possession in the attacking third. This therefore renders the passing game is unnecessary. Indeed, it reduces the number of times u will get into the attacking third and increases the liklihood of losing possession in a dangerous position.

incorrect

the purpose of the long ball is to get it into the attacking third as quickly and as often as possible them battle for possession.

two thirds of all goals come from a move which begins with a regain of possession in the attacking third. This therefore renders the passing game is unnecessary. Indeed, it reduces the number of times u will get into the attacking third and increases the liklihood of losing possession in a dangerous position.

Cockflaps!moon.gifflipa.gif

incorrect

You have never mentioned this before Andy

How has Jack Charlton,Graham Taylor,Dave Basset and Joe Kinnear not still employed

The game has moved on from the late 70s and 80s

The term should be more direct instead of endless passing about the back

You have never mentioned this before Andy

How has Jack Charlton,Graham Taylor,Dave Basset and Joe Kinnear not still employed

The game has moved on from the late 70s and 80s

The term should be more direct instead of endless passing about the back

They're all relatively successful managers! I think they're not employed because they're getting on a bit?

incorrect

incorrect

Maybe you have been watching too many Ruby games they boot the ball into the opposition then fight tooth and nail for possession only difference is footballers can only use their feet. Ball played on the ground making your moves by making space and passing that's the way forward and why so many continental teams are far superior than us.

It's time to move on rather pump a ball into no mans land with a charge of the light brigade to retrieve the ball. God please don't make us go down such a grim way in the game

A quick long ball well executed can still be a devastating ball. Finding players who can do it well is probably harder than forty years ago because coaches do seem to frown on it nowadays. Scoring more goals from regaining possession is hardly startling news.You're nearer the goal and don't have as long to bugger things up. We're never going to see loads of long balls in modern day football but if you are lucky enough to have a Pat Crerand in your team who could deliver them perfectly then it would be madness not to use it. I'm trying to remember who we had who was a long ball expert but can't think of one just now. I'm sure someone will come up with someone. Ian Munro wasn't bad. Should Beckham have got a bollicking for scoring from inside his own half?

A quick long ball well executed can still be a devastating ball. Finding players who can do it well is probably harder than forty years ago because coaches do seem to frown on it nowadays. Scoring more goals from regaining possession is hardly startling news.You're nearer the goal and don't have as long to bugger things up. We're never going to see loads of long balls in modern day football but if you are lucky enough to have a Pat Crerand in your team who could deliver them perfectly then it would be madness not to use it. I'm trying to remember who we had who was a long ball expert but can't think of one just now. I'm sure someone will come up with someone. Ian Munro wasn't bad. Should Beckham have got a bollicking for scoring from inside his own half?

Completely agree.

If you have players with a particular talent then use it to your advantage.

I'm not really for St Mirren playing a certain way, I just want to see them winning, which usually means doing things better than the opposition. Play to strengths, if that means playing it long or passing through the middle, I don't care so long the team can carry it off.

It was interesting to watch the Dutch playing over the top of the Spaniards at the world cup, exposing their weak and comparatively slow defence and allowing the Dutch pace and power (Robben and RVP) to dominate the match. I also liked Germany's tactic of keeping Brazil's central defence in the match at all times and keeping the Brazilian full backs tied up when in defence. With Muller and Kroos passing through the defence time after time.

Scoring more goals from regaining possession is hardly startling news.You're nearer the goal and don't have as long to bugger things up.

indeed

so the more opportunities u create to regain possession in attacking areas then the more goals u will score and the less u concede

u r correct that we wont see a large scale return to long ball football anytime soon...

which is why any manager with enough intelligence and character has a fantastic opportunity to gain an advantage by doing it

indeed

so the more opportunities u create to regain possession in attacking areas then the more goals u will score and the less u concede

u r correct that we wont see a large scale return to long ball football anytime soon...

which is why any manager with enough intelligence and character has a fantastic opportunity to gain an advantage by doing it

Talking about our Tommy.

indeed

Your straight out of the museum of football from 50 years ago.

After the "quality " we have attracted so far this close season - tommy better not miss out on the boys brigade or girl guides - scouting .... My arse!

After the Morton game -TC said he was actively scouting for more signings during the week - I for one am waiting with bated breath! Come on Tommy give us a quality signing to help me feel more optimistic about the long season ahead!

After the Morton game -TC said he was actively scouting for more signings during the week - I for one am waiting with bated breath! Come on Tommy give us a quality signing to help me feel more optimistic before the season starts, then find he's no better than what we've got.

Sorted.

After the Morton game -TC said he was actively scouting for more signings during the week - I for one am waiting with bated breath! Come on Tommy give us a quality signing to help me feel more optimistic about the long season ahead!

There WILL be developments soon. The budget is there, and the players will follow.