Golf - The Open 2014

shull

Was out walking the dogs earlier and met a pal. He's quite a big gambler. He's backed all top seven in the odds each way. Didn't ask him how much. But if ever there was a sport where someone in the top seven doesn't win regularly, it's golf.

Was out walking the dogs earlier and met a pal. He's quite a big gambler. He's backed all top seven in the odds each way. Didn't ask him how much. But if ever there was a sport where someone in the top seven doesn't win regularly, it's golf.

Seen william hill were paying out on 7 places for EW and even the favourites are 15/1 and up so it might not be as bad a plan as it sounds.

I fancy Adam Scott to win it.

Guest TPAFKATS

I put my money on 3 non favourites each way. If I name them on here it'll only jinx it, like the football gambling thread...

Good idea, then you can make it up at the end........................................................whistling.gif

-3, -1, +1 for my selections

The pros don't just play a much better standard of golf than us mortals, they're on a different planet to us. I play in the annual Buchanan Castle pro-am, and last year the pro in our team was Greg Hutcheon, the club pro at Banchory GC in Aberdeen. I was marking his card, and he just missed a putt on the 9th to go out in 29 strokes. He ended up joint winner with a 63 I think. He was playing a different game from the one we were.

He had a good season, and with a good finish in the Scottish Open at Castle Stewart, had qualified for the BMW Championship at Wentworth. After playing at Buchanan Castle, he was driving down with a mate caddying for him to Wentworth. He came up through the ranks as a young player alongside the likes of Lee Westwood and Luke Donald etc. He was a contender himself, but suffered a serious back injury and had to abandon hopes of making it as a touring pro. He had really found form again though - hence doing well enough to play at a massive event like the BMW.

He is still friendly with a lot of the tour pros, and his stories were entertaining as we went round. He was saying that his admiration for guys like Westwood, Rose, McDowell & Co is untold. He said that it is one thing to be a successful tour pro, who we all recognise on TV, but to reach the very top - and to stay there, is a different deal altogether.

He was by far the best player I've played with, God knows what it must be like to play alongside Woods or Mickelson.

Guest TPAFKATS

A lot of nervous excitement over here with Rory's score because of his 'Friday' syndrome. Would love him to win it. Scott looks useful. Tiger's hinging aboot.

Thatll be the durty english wummin'

The pros don't just play a much better standard of golf than us mortals, they're on a different planet to us. I play in the annual Buchanan Castle pro-am, and last year the pro in our team was Greg Hutcheon, the club pro at Banchory GC in Aberdeen. I was marking his card, and he just missed a putt on the 9th to go out in 29 strokes. He ended up joint winner with a 63 I think. He was playing a different game from the one we were.

He had a good season, and with a good finish in the Scottish Open at Castle Stewart, had qualified for the BMW Championship at Wentworth. After playing at Buchanan Castle, he was driving down with a mate caddying for him to Wentworth. He came up through the ranks as a young player alongside the likes of Lee Westwood and Luke Donald etc. He was a contender himself, but suffered a serious back injury and had to abandon hopes of making it as a touring pro. He had really found form again though - hence doing well enough to play at a massive event like the BMW.

He is still friendly with a lot of the tour pros, and his stories were entertaining as we went round. He was saying that his admiration for guys like Westwood, Rose, McDowell & Co is untold. He said that it is one thing to be a successful tour pro, who we all recognise on TV, but to reach the very top - and to stay there, is a different deal altogether.

He was by far the best player I've played with, God knows what it must be like to play alongside Woods or Mickelson.

Great post. Know exactly what you mean. I saw a few professional events over here before I ever saw an Open live. I once saw a fairly young Darren Clarke against a very young Graeme McDowell here in Bangor and wondered about their talent. Then I watched my first Open live and just couldn't believe what I was seeing. It's one thing seeing it on TV and another seeing it live.Another planet covers it. When you stand behind some of the tees at the Open and you're thinking how the hell will he get it over all that gorse and a qualifier you've barely heard of blazes the ball a hundred yards beyond the rough, it really defies description. Good golf is awesome on telly but even better seeing it live. Thing is telly gets virtually every great shot.

Ernie Ells.........................3 putting from about 12"................................makes me feel better, I usually only 2 putt from that distance. lol.gif

Aye,on a good day. I can remember you hitting the green on 1 from the 1st tee at Barshaw many years ago whistling.gif

Guest TPAFKATS

Speith & Poulter were my picks at the bookies together with Matsuyama. Last time I looked he was -5. Turns out he finished on -1. Back to bookies...

Speith & Poulter were my picks at the bookies together with Matsuyama. Last time I looked he was -5. Turns out he finished on -1. Back to bookies...

The wife said to me on Wednesday night that McIlroy looked a great bet at 5/2 to finish in the top ten. Needless to say i ignored her advice.