The Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014

shull

I thought it was a good show. Apart from Hazel Irvine and Huw Edwards talking shite over the top of a lot of music. The opening segment was clearly intended to be light hearted, probably a good approach after the mega-budget extravaganza of London 2012. The big screen was superb, and the way they lit the stadium was atmospheric.

Aye, good effort from all. A lot of work went into it, and it went well.

The wee Scottie dogs were good.

Guest TPAFKATS

I thought it was a good show. Apart from Hazel Irvine and Huw Edwards talking shite over the top of a lot of music. The opening segment was clearly intended to be light hearted, probably a good approach after the mega-budget extravaganza of London 2012. The big screen was superb, and the way they lit the stadium was atmospheric.

Aye, good effort from all. A lot of work went into it, and it went well.

The wee Scottie dogs were good.

Yeah, as opening ceremonies go it was good, once Barrowman pissed off. Matheson was pretty embarrassing though.

It's not until you watch a local one that you realise how cringey it can be. I don't think the rest of the world sees it that way?

Didn't the Scottish outfits look good!

Well he wisnae deid a wee while ago.

And i cannae mind doing a " So Farewell Then " thread for him.

Just checked and, sadly, he died in 1993. Didn't think it was that long ago.

On another note I read that Ian Thorpe, the Aussie swimmer, came out as gay last week. Now I think he's had a bit of a tough time for years and I hope his life gets better now he's accepted his sexuality but, having watched him carrying in the CGF flag - didn't somebody guess. It was the campest performance I've seen in years, in fact not since Charles Hawtrey died.

Low point for me was Subo... who showed why "talent shows" are an abomination and the work of the devil.
Nice wummin... but I could have easily picked a more deserving musical Scot.

Rest was fab... my fave was Andy Stewart (Calvin Harris remix) and Amy MacDonald.

Was never going to be the Olympics but it made me genuinely proud. Good effort Glesga.

Well, certainly something different.

Brilliant that their was an amusing angle to the Scottish iconic tea cakes. lol.gif

Quirky and slowly built to a great crescendo.

The giant screen was, according to people who were there, amazing, certainly didn't come across on the TV as it did live.

The reception for the teams was something to be proud of and when Scotland appeared, even with their lovely uniforms, the place went crazy.

The baton, which was the one and only, unlike the "many" torches which toured the UK for the Olympics, was slightly stubborn when they tried to open it, not surprising since it's been in lots of different environments.

All in all, well done, lets hope Scotland get off to a flier today as this will build on the current "feel good" factor.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

PS Roll on the next 30,000 holiday.giflaugh.png

Edited by faraway saint

Well, certainly something different.

Brilliant that their was an amusing angle to the Scottish iconic tea cakes. lol.gif

Quirky and slowly built to a great crescendo.

The giant screen was, according to people who were there, amazing, certainly didn't come across on the TV as it did live.

The reception for the teams was something to be proud of and when Scotland appeared, even with their lovely uniforms, the place went crazy.

The baton, which was the one and only, unlike the "many" torches which toured the UK for the Olympics, was slightly stubborn when they tried to open it, not surprising since it's been in lots of different environments.

All in all, well done, lets hope Scotland get off to a flier today as this will build on the current "feel good" factor.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

PS Roll on the next 30,000 holiday.giflaugh.png

clap.gif Happy 30000th post clap.gif

There's another big event currently running in Glasgow. The Gay Pride festival. Applauds to the Commonwealth Games organisers for having Karen Dunbar, John Barrowman, Gordon Mathieson and Liz Windsor as the mainstays of the opening ceremony. Four auld' queens.

Now, gie's the bowls. Get Willie Wood and David Bryant's pipe on.

The John Barrowman / Karen Dunbar effort was 100% cringeworthy. Not their fault, they were working with the material given to them and sows ears don't make silk purses.

Rod Stewart (as always IMO) utterly stunk the place out - quite an achievement given the venue and the stink normally created there. And Subo, oh dear me, give it a rest. Agree with earlier posts that Amy McDonald and Calvin Harris performed a decent rescue act on a show that had been plummeting rapidly into torture.

One quick introduction required - Gordon, this is a microphone.

I enjoyed it I think. It wasn't anywhere near the London ceremony but it did a job. It might have been better had Barrowman fallen from the top of the model crane but it was alright

It wasn't anywhere near the budget in London, sakes! 1eye.gif

Although, you are correct, it wasn't near London, it was about 400 miles away. lol.gif