The Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014

shull

Erm no it's not.

At every Commonwealth Games the Queen is welcomed with the singing of God Save The Queen. It's the Commonwealth Games after all.

Not at Melbourne 2006 she wasn't. There was a big stooshie about it so they just tacked a few bars on to a 'happy birthday' medley for Lizzie.

Erm no it's not.

At every Commonwealth Games the Queen is welcomed with the singing of God Save The Queen. It's the Commonwealth Games after all.

The host nation's anthem WAS always performed too. Anyway, who feckin asked you to stick yer neb in?

Not at Melbourne 2006 she wasn't. There was a big stooshie about it so they just tacked a few bars on to a 'happy birthday' medley for Lizzie.

STU!!!!!! flipa.gif

It was still played even it was only 8 bars.

The point I made is still valid though - it's always played at the Commonwealth Games. She's the Head of the Commonwealth.

I don't think Vambo is right about it playing alongside the hosts National Anthem either. I certainly can't remember that being the case at any of the games during my lifetime. It would also be a bit weird to welcome the Queen to the stadium playing God Save the Queen, only to then promptly play Flower of Scotland immediately after.

As far as the Glasgow Games have been so far I think it's been quite a lot better than I expected. I drove through Glasgow yesterday close to a number of the sites and there was little sign of any traffic congestion. If the Games can turn a profit then GCC deserve plenty of credit for the work that they've done. The only real downside is seeing how stupid we look as a nation singing "and sent him homeward to think again" when a lad from Stirling who lives and trains at Bath University wins a Gold Medal for us.

It was still played even it was only 8 bars.

The point I made is still valid though - it's always played at the Commonwealth Games. She's the Head of the Commonwealth.

I don't think Vambo is right about it playing alongside the hosts National Anthem either. I certainly can't remember that being the case at any of the games during my lifetime. It would also be a bit weird to welcome the Queen to the stadium playing God Save the Queen, only to then promptly play Flower of Scotland immediately after.

As far as the Glasgow Games have been so far I think it's been quite a lot better than I expected. I drove through Glasgow yesterday close to a number of the sites and there was little sign of any traffic congestion. If the Games can turn a profit then GCC deserve plenty of credit for the work that they've done. The only real downside is seeing how stupid we look as a nation singing "and sent him homeward to think again" when a lad from Stirling who lives and trains at Bath University wins a Gold Medal for us.

Again not quite true. "Advance Australia Fair" was played in Melbourne.

Guest TPAFKATS

what is the problem... those are the colours the Red Arrows always display.

Want the Red Arrows... expect Red White and Blue.

No big deal.

The Yes campaigners are trying to politicise this... nobody else.

Ok Buddie, except there are numerous examples of red arrows trailing colours and indeed flags that differ from their normal R,W,B.

They even managed to trail the Russian flag for Putin birthday a couple of years age.

The decision was entirely political and came from Westminster as reported in the press.

This is why I posted the link, it makes a mockery of uk gov calling for games not to be politicised, while at same time working away in the background.

As someone who is cynical about the attitude of top stars to the games, I would hardly class myself as pure mad for the games, but hey, I'm coming round... The weather is fcuking awesome, let's be honest, the best summer since Dickson last posted a fact. There's a feelgood factor, the organisation seems spot on, the venues are superb, people are waxing lyrical about the welcome they've received, the Scots are winning medals, Glasgow and Scotland looks great.

Forget about anthems and Liz Windsor, red white and blue smoke and the lyrics to a Corries folk song.

Glasgow looks like a world class city. Great stuff.

As someone who is cynical about the attitude of top stars to the games, I would hardly class myself as pure mad for the games, but hey, I'm coming round... The weather is fcuking awesome, let's be honest, the best summer since Dickson last posted a fact. There's a feelgood factor, the organisation seems spot on, the venues are superb, people are waxing lyrical about the welcome they've received, the Scots are winning medals, Glasgow and Scotland looks great.

Forget about anthems and Liz Windsor, red white and blue smoke and the lyrics to a Corries folk song.

Glasgow looks like a world class city. Great stuff.

punk.gifthumbup2.gif Post of the week

The commonwealth games as an event is secondary, the great coverage of a great city and its people is brilliant.

Many people I have spoken to in England perceive Glasgow as something of a violent city of old, things

like this shows what a Great vibrant city Glasgow really is, a million times better than that cowp the stop after

hillington west

games coverage is, of course, outsourced to a single production comapny who cover all these events-they are first class, whoever they are, but they are not the bbc

the bbc are doing a great job of susbsiding the adlingtons, baldings and linekers of this world with my licence fee

I agree, better with no presenters, that'll save money. 1eye.gif

It's not only YOUR licence fee, many other people pay this and, wait for it, don't greet about where every penny goes. lol.gif

Get yourself near the river today, 250 boats sailing to Glasgow from Greenock, should be an amazing sight. thumbup2.gif

The Erskine bridge would be a good viewpoint, watch you don't fall in. whistling.gif

Or sit on the balcony at Mar Hall overlooking the Clyde, if you can afford about a fiver for the pint.

E.B. for me.

A bit high though, my legs will be shaking.

I'm not too bad with heights and I've been out on the Erskine Bridge a few times but I must admit I was always glad to get back on terra firma. Drove over it thousands of times and never blinked an eye.