The Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014

shull

walking around town yesterday, it was very disappointing to see how little is laid on in the form of street events. there was some crap guy dropping knives and trying to set fire with a broken lighter to a torch (one torch), that he purported to be juggling with in argyle street and some pipers in buchanan st. There was a merchant city festival that seemed little more than an excuse to drink in the streets

glasgow green was very disappointing, just an excuse to rip you off for food and drinks, really

many pubs seem to have racked the prices up a few notches too

crap city that should take a leaf from Edinburgh's book on how to get the city streets buzzing

Just back from Glasgow with the wife and kid. The place was buzzing, great atmosphere around Buchanan Street, Royal Exchange Square and the Merchant City where the music festival was on.

Never see the city as busy in my life and it was great to see.

walking around town yesterday, it was very disappointing to see how little is laid on in the form of street events. there was some crap guy dropping knives and trying to set fire with a broken lighter to a torch (one torch), that he purported to be juggling with in argyle street and some pipers in buchanan st. There was a merchant city festival that seemed little more than an excuse to drink in the streets

glasgow green was very disappointing, just an excuse to rip you off for food and drinks, really

crap city that should take a leaf from Edinburgh's book on how to get the city streets buzzing

Suppose you see what you want to see.

I've spoken to 3 people who say the exact opposite from you, great atmosphere and very much like Edinburgh, happy people enjoying the weather and a very positive vibe.

Is it being so cheerful that keeps you going?

You should pay a wee visit down mcdowall street and speak to that other malcontent. (those cats are fast as lightning)

Edited by murray street

Local Elderslie lad Derek Hawkins runs in marathon tomorrow for Scotland.

http://glasgow.stv.tv/articles/283906-glasgow-2014-marathon-route-map-and-guide-to-sundays-commonwealth-race/?fromstreampost=145895

His younger brother Callum runs in 10,000m which is the reason why Farah shat it.

Good luck guys.

He chundered the contents of his stomach in the last 100 metresrip.gif

sorry missed your earlier post, I was avoiding bok as he was making

me boke.

Edited by murray street

Glasgow is buzzing, just like the why all the negativity thread there are others that won't be happy. Thankfully they are in the minority. At the end of the day I think that the games will be judged as a huge success my the majority.

Really enjoyed wandering about Glasgow yesterday, had a great day.

Looking forward to next Saturday. Heading for Barolo for surf n turf and a few pints of Peroni then off to the boxing finals at The Hydro.

Might even go drinking in the streets for an hour before that :)

Maybe you could do some juggling of Peroni bottles in the street just for Beyond Feckin Hope.

Probably worth making sure they are empty first, but I'm sure you have no issues with that.

It was a strange observation by Beyond dodgy Ken.

The Merchant City area was heavily policed and stewarded to ensure that punters didn't go wandering around the streets with alcohol.

There was one stage area which was fenced off, alcohol was being served in there, you could also drink in the small outdoor areas that are always there, like outside O'Neills but the steward were standing at the exit to prevent alcohol from being taking off the grounds.

The streets around Merchant Square where O'Neills is had a stage also but no alcohol was allowed here and there was plenty of police in this area.

Loads of good food stalls selling foods from all round the world and various other items.

All in all it was a great alcohol free day for me.

Marks and Spencers at Braehead stayed open an extra two hours tonight to try to take advantage of the crowds leaving Ibrox. They closed 30 minutes earlier than planned after they had a grand total of ZERO customers through the doors. I guess not everywhere in Glasgow is buzzing......

But I've got to agree with FTOF - Erraid Davies winning bronze is my highlight so far. That and the coverage on the BBC - which has been absolutely superb and totally positive towards Glasgow.

I assume M&S were trying to take advantage of an event at Ibrox due to a games park & ride scheme being at Braehead? Big mistake obviously. Let's be honest, after a full day watching the rugby, when you eventually get back to Braehead, are you going to think "Fcuk me, I nearly forgot... I need a five pack of briefs and an Indian takeaway meal box for four"...

Silly M&S.

I assume M&S were trying to take advantage of an event at Ibrox due to a games park & ride scheme being at Braehead? Big mistake obviously. Let's be honest, after a full day watching the rugby, when you eventually get back to Braehead, are you going to think "Fcuk me, I nearly forgot... I need a five pack of briefs and an Indian takeaway meal box for four"...

Silly M&S.

It worked for them in London two years ago when Simply Food stores around all the Olympic Games sites did excellent business out of hours.

It worked for them in London two years ago when Simply Food stores around all the Olympic Games sites did excellent business out of hours.

Obviously a case of Location, Location, Location. M&S at Braehead isn't in a good one for hoovering up business from Ibrox, which isn't exactly next door.

Maybe so Poz. It will be interesting to see the retail trading reports after the games are over to see if it really has had a positive effect on business. After the London Games retailers in the centre of London complained about the games having a negative impact on their businesses. I wonder if much the same is happening in Glasgow.

Guest TPAFKATS

Marks and Spencers at Braehead stayed open an extra two hours tonight to try to take advantage of the crowds leaving Ibrox. They closed 30 minutes earlier than planned after they had a grand total of ZERO customers through the doors. I guess not everywhere in Glasgow is buzzing......

But I've got to agree with FTOF - Erraid Davies winning bronze is my highlight so far. That and the coverage on the BBC - which has been absolutely superb and totally positive towards Glasgow.

Scottish cringe...

Unfortunately far too much of Glasgow 2014 has been based upon London 2012, including many of the same event planners who have massively failed to appreciate the differences between the two events and cities, both in terms of infrastructure and forward planning. This includes the twats who thought that importing 200 London double decker buses into Glasgow to ease travel concerns and then failed to actually study the city's public transport games plan.

The new FastLink (or whatever it's called) bus lanes, around the Govan/Ibrox area, were awash with empty London double deckers and McGills 'bendy-buses' last night and this morning, hemmed in by the marathon road closures, whilst hundreds of punters with paid for park and ride tickets at Silverburn, Braehead and elsewhere were forced to miss the athletics events at Hampden they'd paid to see, thanks to about one bus turning up every 40 mins or worse. In my view this was caused by over zealous 'anti-management' of the local road networks by clip board operatives unfamiliar with the reality of the situation or indeed a common sense approach !

Just like around Hampden Park for the London Olympic 2012 football fixtures, complete and utter overkill for events attracting lesser crowds than a Scottish Cup Final or a feckin Robbie Willams gig.

Edited by FS

Unfortunately far too much of Glasgow 2014 has been based upon London 2012, including many of the same event planners who have massively failed to appreciate the differences between the two events and cities, both in terms of infrastructure and forward planning. This includes the twats who thought that importing 200 London double decker buses into Glasgow to ease travel concerns and then failed to actually study the city's public transport games plan.

The new FastLink (or whatever it's called) bus lanes, around the Govan/Ibrox area, were awash with empty London double deckers and McGills 'bendy-buses' last night and this morning, hemmed in by the marathon road closures, whilst hundreds of punters with paid for park and ride tickets at Silverburn, Braehead and elsewhere were forced to miss the athletics events at Hampden they'd paid to see, thanks to about one bus turning up every 40 mins or worse. In my view this was caused by over zealous 'anti-management' of the local road networks by clip board operatives unfamiliar with the reality of the situation or indeed a common sense approach !

Just like around Hampden Park for the London Olympic 2012 football fixtures, complete and utter overkill for events attracting lesser crowds than a Scottish Cup Final or a feckin Robbie Willams gig.

Yeah, just been hearing about all of the problems around Hampden Park where there appears to have been a shortage of police officers and where instead of using common sense the spectators were left outside the stadium waiting for more police to be deployed. Also hearing complaints about the effects of security around the Ibrox, Govan and Partick area's where residents are feeling severely restricted in their movements - particularly in the underground and with public transport, and apparently through in Dalmarnock residents have been told that if their children are out playing after 8pm at night they could be fined because the athletes need their sleep. I live outside the security bubble but work inside one of the area's worst affected over the weekend where they had the equivalent of a full Ibrox Stadium descend on the area 3 times over on Saturday and Sunday because the games organisers wanted to get three loads of admission money. Now admittedly it didn't really affect me as I arrived at work in between matches but living around the affected area's sounds like a nightmare at the moment - and for what benefit? Will they get returns on their council tax? Will retailers share their profits with the local community once this has all passed? Will the Scottish Government release some more funding into community projects around here to compensate local residents for the disruption? Pubs around here apparently were charging £7.20 a pint yesterday.

As I have been saying the BBC has done a fantastic job keeping the focus on the positive aspects of the games whilst ignoring the failures around the planning.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

I'm 53 years old, and when I used to go out with my mates drinking and going to nights out, or going to the Apollo to see rock bands, as a tourist destination Glasgow was, well, it wasn't. It was grey and dirty.

Without spending hours thinking about it, off the top of my head, in the 1980s stuff started to happen. The Burrell Collection became a world class attraction. There was the Garden Festival, the 'Glasgow's Miles Better' campaign, the city of culture, the opening of the SECC, redevelopment of the Cathedral Quarter, the hosting of European football finals, the building of the Armadillo, the Hydro, the new Riverside transport museum, the new Royal Concert Hall and the redevelopment of Buchanan Street and the appearance of Buchanan Galleries and Princes Square, the re-invention of the Merchant City area, the Glasgow Celtic Connections Festival.... I will have missed many, many more big events or newly constructed attractions - things that have turned a city into a place locals and visitors want to come to. Now the city is hosting a huge and mostly successful sporting event.

If we're debating the games and how businesses will benefit / suffer, then it is surely something to be considered in a bigger way than just during the fortnight of the games themselves. There will be 'casualties' who suffer a fortnight of road closures and inconvenience, and there will be shops where the owners appear on Reporting Scotland bemoaning how difficult the games have made the last two weeks. Equally there will be many business, perhaps many more than those negatively affected, who see the massive influx of visitors for two weeks boosting their profits... at a time when traditionally these two weeks would be pretty quiet anyway. The roads are normally dead at this time of year, as Scots fly off on holiday.

In my opinion, we need to look massively beyond the undoubted inconveniences and transport mistakes of the two weeks themselves. I see this as another step, in fact a massive step, forward in the development of a city for the future. It adds to the 'body of work' perhaps starting really with 'Glasgow's Miles Better', and I am convinced the games will be a great thing for Glasgow and indeed Scotland, as we project two genuinely world class cities in Glasgow and Edinburgh to the world at large. I sense a sea change in the competing atheletes too. Scottish competitors don't just turn up, and we're happy if they gloriously fail, but at least had a go... These guys are there to win, and the whole Team Scotland exudes a confidence and belief that I never recognised before. Guys like Chris Hoy and Andy Murray certainly have a lot to do with it I'm sure.

Instead of being a 'wee diddy team', as a team, and indeed a country, we are looking far more positive, and I'm sure this will continue after the referendum - no matter the result.

Mo Farah can still fcuk off though!

Edited by pozbaird