Thommogod - Bad News

The fact is we have a vastly inferior squad to last season,we were lucky not to go down we may not be so lucky this season. Unless we add quality quickly it's a long season ahead.

You forgot to sign out of LoveStreet and sign into your elvis account.

'Vastly inferior'!

:lol:

whenever I think of St Mirren and the season ahead I absolutely shrivel inside and shudder and cringe to myself that we just let Paul McGowan go....he provided real class, flair ,imagination, creativity and a few goals, not that many I will concede but bet you he gets plenty for Dundee this season.

We had him and we let him go without a whimper...he would have stayed.

I honestly think THAT decision by TC is the one that could well define our season.

Of course TC is the manager and knows much much more than some far flung fermer but that is just the way I see it.

And, to keep on track with the thread, we need to Thommo to be fit, motivated, on form and not suspended every week.

whenever I think of St Mirren and the season ahead I absolutely shrivel inside and shudder and cringe to myself that we just let Paul McGowan go....he provided real class, flair ,imagination, creativity and a few goals, not that many I will concede but bet you he gets plenty for Dundee this season.

I honestly think THAT decision by TC is the one that could well define our season.

Of course TC is the manager and knows much much more than some far flung fermer but that is just the way I see it.

And, to keep on track with the thread, we need to Thommo to be fit, motivated, on form and not suspended every week.

McGowan had to go

For his sake and the club's

Yes i agree he will be a star for Dundee

We need an experienced forward and centre half to come in

Especially decent in the air

So, the general consensus , seems to be that because we've lost McGowan we're a million times worse off than we were at this point last season.

TBH losing bit part players like Grainger and DVZ aren't a great loss. I'd rather have younger, enthusiastic players coming through from the U-20's.

A CH will be signed within the next two weeks. He may or may not be better than McGregor.

So all we need to do is sign a creative midfielder who doesn't get arrested for attacking the polis, actually scores a decent amount of goals, other than penalties, doesn't slow our attacking moves down and doesn't get injured for 6 - 8 week spells throughout the season.

Hopefully, it won't be a lazy, overpaid waster who plays when he feels like it.

Sorted! thumbup2.gif

We do.

A centre half, another striker and the loanee midfielder from Man City and we'll be fine.

Whether we get the first two players remains to be seen.

You'll find posts elsewhere saying that with the arrival of Caldwell we need to send Reilly out on loan, false senses of security are being lulled all over this forum, or at least they were.

Agreed

And to think how DL was pilloried for letting Mair (feckin' Mair!!!???) go to strengthen Thistle

McGowan had to go

For his sake and the club's

Yes i agree he will be a star for Dundee

We need an experienced forward and centre half to come in

Especially decent in the air

Why did McGowan have to go?

at short notice, we gave him a one-year extension to his deal when he wa in the midst of what must have been the worst period of his life to date. Thoughts of prison and some serious self analysis must have distracted him to the limit and he was bound to have a poorer season. But we see him through it and pay his more than decent wages knowing his is going to be less effective and then, when it's all over with him, the club safely stays up, all the uncertainty of the management team's future is settled, then we let him go? just when he is liable to be a more settled, mature, relaxed and conscientious person free from off the field worries (relatively speaking). I don't care how people dress up that decision, it is more liable to be a very bad one for St Mirren than anything else.

Agreed

And to think how DL was pilloried for letting Mair (feckin' Mair!!!???) go to strengthen Thistle

The McGowan business was maybe a bit of a tough one to call. He had a poor season last season and the year before was patchy. When he was good he was very good but he was invisible in a lot of matches. Then there was his extra curricular activity. His attitude was poor at times. Better players than Paul have lost their way in football after early success. Apparently he was one of our biggest earners. Was he looking for more to resign? I think weighing everything up the club made the right decision.

You'll find posts elsewhere saying that with the arrival of Caldwell we need to send Reilly out on loan, false senses of security are being lulled all over this forum, or at least they were.

I think people are wanting Reilly to go on loan, not because we have lots of options up front, but the boy needs game time. There's no point in Thomas sitting on the bench again next season letting his contract run down... This is a massive season for him personally, he needs to prove his worth else he will be out the door at the end of the season.

Paul McGowan is as relevant to St Mirren now as Vanzy or Harkins.

i.e. he's an ex player and therefore really shouldn't be any concern of ours.

i think it was a bad decision to let McGowan go. For me he held the ball up top better than anyone at the club and one of the best in the League at that. He was the only player we played in the role between midfield and striker and he played it very well. When McGowan wasn't playing the gap between midfield and Thommo was frightening with Thommo having no service. For a guy who will not be missed much by some, he was a permanent fixture over the last four seasons being one of the first names on the team sheet. I am sure his wages at Dundee will be a lot less than what we gave him last season (conjecture, I know). Now that life had settled itself and English clubs had lost interest (remember he was expected to move down South this time last year) I thought Paul would kick on this year. Maybe he will for Dundee. I think we lost a very good and experienced SPFL player to a rival when we could have kept him.

Maybe TC will change tactics this year and felt there was no room in the new setup for Paul. Time will tell. But at the moment I feel like it he is a loss we did not have to make. But he is history now and TC will be judged on the decision.

I was delighted when we held onto McGowan last year - really chuffed about it.

My delight faded as the season progressed. Not on account of his extra-curricular activities, incidentally (unless they were relevant in terms of his on-field performances which is something we can speculate about but never know for sure). When on his game, he is a great wee player, but he also has some glaring faults - pretty much like any other player at our level. I would have been happy enough had he stayed, but, as I posted on here at the time, i was happier that we had re-signed Kello than I was upset about losing McGowan. Considerably so, to my surprise.

We need a change of approach after the disappointment of last season. A freshness was required, and that inevitably involves a change of personnel. Whether the players we have brought in (with a couple more additions at least, thanks) will cut it, isn't really relevant as to whether McGowan should have stayed or went, as a decision had to be made on that one, and no-one has a crystal ball in terms of ascertaining how things will pan out in due course.

For what its worth, I'm not so sure that Gowser will see eye to eye with Hartley, and I can see it being a less successful move for him than some seem to be predicting.

i think it was a bad decision to let McGowan go. For me he held the ball up top better than anyone at the club and one of the best in the League at that. He was the only player we played in the role between midfield and striker and he played it very well. When McGowan wasn't playing the gap between midfield and Thommo was frightening with Thommo having no service. For a guy who will not be missed much by some, he was a permanent fixture over the last four seasons being one of the first names on the team sheet. I am sure his wages at Dundee will be a lot less than what we gave him last season (conjecture, I know). Now that life had settled itself and English clubs had lost interest (remember he was expected to move down South this time last year) I thought Paul would kick on this year. Maybe he will for Dundee. I think we lost a very good and experienced SPFL player to a rival when we could have kept him.

Maybe TC will change tactics this year and felt there was no room in the new setup for Paul. Time will tell. But at the moment I feel like it he is a loss we did not have to make. But he is history now and TC will be judged on the decision.

Play McLean in there and we're sorted. Potentially a better option than McGowan, in my view.

I think people are wanting Reilly to go on loan, not because we have lots of options up front, but the boy needs game time. There's no point in Thomas sitting on the bench again next season letting his contract run down... This is a massive season for him personally, he needs to prove his worth else he will be out the door at the end of the season.

You can think that, but people have actually written that he will have to go on loan now that Caldwell is here, not for game time but because he is further down the order now

I'm not reading minds, just reflecting on what is actually said.

I would agree, but how many posters tried to make Mair relevant to St Mirren after he went to Thistle

Mair left while still under contract with us, we would have had to subsidize the deal. Lennon's inability to find a suitable replacement left us with 2 CH's and only Jim Goodwin for cover for the remainder of the season. Meanwhile Mair played in all of Thistle's subsequent games and helped them secure safety after their early season form had long since gone - it was a bad decision that could easily have backfired on us.

I would agree, but how many posters tried to make Mair relevant to St Mirren after he went to Thistle

You don't see the difference between letting an under contract player leave mid season to a rival and releasing an out of contract player?

Edited by TopCat

Kenny McLean will provide double the amount of goals McGowan will, i would also bet he will chip in with more assists.

Im also not convinced Paul has made the right move in going to dundee, with Harkins there who for some reason is a bit of a cult figure, McGowan will be fitted in somewhere to get the best of Harkins, it was a disaster for us at the start of last season and add in Simon Ferry who Hartley has said he sees as an attacking midfielder and i think it will be a disaster for Dundee as well.

I wish Paul all the best, but i dont think we are losing out by letting him go based on his recent form.