Thommogod - Bad News

• 2 weeks later...

Rumour has it Thommo took pain killers and an injection to play last night and has broken down again? Meant to be out for the next few weeks.

Should never have started in the first place, that was madness.

I caught an interview with TC when he referred to both he and the player taking a 'gamble' on this.

As you say, what a terrible decision, and it could cost us dearly.

I caught an interview with TC when he referred to both he and the player taking a 'gamble' on this.

As you say, what a terrible decision, and it could cost us dearly.

I can see why TC took the gamble, he was under pressure to get a win so turned to our talisman.

The problem is Thommo is 34 (35?) years old, he shouldnt have been put in that position and its absolute madness that they thought he could do it. Even if he didnt need an injection he still shouldnt have started, there was no way he was anywhere near match fit.

If hes out for another 6-8 weeks it will be an absolute disaster, with no pres season under his belt and at his age its going to be a real struggle to get him up and running when he is fit.

Always said that losing him like we did with Gary Teale last season was a huge risk. At least this season we have other options. Had this happened last season I dread to think what would have happened. Danny was lucky TC is unlucky.

Poor management on the face of it.

It wasn't a risk worth taking for a cup tie against League 1 opposition. Even had we lost the match, it would have been more important to have ensured that one of our most important players (arguably most important) wasn't risked to the extent that he could be missing for months.

I'd say a small part of the blame goes to Thommo as well. He must have communicated an ability to play. They wouldn't have forced him to play if he didn't think he was ready.

Indeed. As club captain, and an experienced player, I'm including him when I refer to poor managment.

Thommo obviously felt he could go, simple as that. Craig would have been desperate for him to play also and try to give his team a lift and maybe a goal but it didn't work out.

The manager would have been in real trouble last night had we lost so it's understandable that he gambled on the big man's fitness. No need to blame anyone and let's all hope that he hasn't aggravated it too much.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

This could give Callum Ball and Ross Caldwell a real extended run in the side as a partnership.

It might just be that they can form a lethal strikeforce...

I believe they can. Shades of Yardley and Basher about them. Ball will come good, and Caldwell has definitely got something.

But I really have no idea what formation we could/should play that would allow a partnership to develop. A straight 4-4-2 would see one of McGinn and McLean either dropped or shunted wide.

Maybe a 4-3-3 with Caldwell and Wylde coming in from wide to support Ball? Mebbe.

I believe they can. Shades of Yardley and Basher about them. Ball will come good, and Caldwell has definitely got something.

But I really have no idea what formation we could/should play that would allow a partnership to develop. A straight 4-4-2 would see one of McGinn and McLean either dropped or shunted wide.

Maybe a 4-3-3 with Caldwell and Wylde coming in from wide to support Ball? Mebbe.

Straight 4-4-2 with McLean or McGinn shunted wide.

Using McLean wide will allow him more freedom to get into attacking positions and avoid markers. Use him on the right and he can cut inside to shoot.

You don't have to be a winger to play wide.

Loads of great midfielders played wide without being wingers, David Beckham, Gordon Strachan, Billy Stark, Tommy Burns, Nakamura, etc.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

This could give Callum Ball and Ross Caldwell a real extended run in the side as a partnership.

It might just be that they can form a lethal strikeforce...

Mmm ... like Somner and McDougall.

That wid be fantastic.

Where are you getting the information about it being a pretty serious injury from ? I prefer to believe what Tommy Craig says:

http://www.saintmirren.net/pages/?p=34609

Believe who you want , it's a serious type of injury for any player in his mid 30s to shake off , October might be optimistic now !

I didn't say anything about a week or two. You're the one who arbitrarily came up with three months. Maybe you've got insider information about Steven's injury or are you just being your normal pessimistic self? Just to save you doing the sums, from now till the end of August is six weeks away. How did you come up with October? And where did I say a week or two? God forbid Steven is out for three months, but if he is can you not get your head round the fact that we can't afford an expensive buy as cover. I'd like to see another striker as back-up and possibly TC has his eye on someone. The cheque book isn't always the answer. It never is if you can't comfortably afford it.

No insider info , it was just common sense for me to suggest that this type of injury tends to be a slower healer in older players and I have been proven correct as usual ! sleep.png

No insider info , it was just common sense for me to suggest that this type of injury tends to be a slower healer in older players and I have been proven correct as usual ! sleep.png

How often have you been right? Must have blinked and missed it. As soon as I saw he had aggravated his injury I knew you would crawl out the woodwork. Have you noticed yet you were wrong? He played in August.