Bayern Munich Do The Right Thing

Leicester Saint

Glad you could clear up how wrong you got it thumbup2.gif

Just try asking more than 1p a pint on top of what the cheapest pub in Paisley charges for the privilege of drinking average draught beer out of a plastic cup, and see how well your takings go!

The bar at St Mirren Park manages fine on a match day with higher than average prices, it's a captive audience.

What part did I get wrong?

I'm no swallying that wan TC...

MATRON!

I've banged on about the outrageous admission prices for years, but have also conceded that if we're daft enough to continue paying them, then we shouldn't expect any change.

Scotland has the worst record in the UK for alcohol related deaths. In 2011 alcohol related mortality was 80% higher than England and Wales.

We don't need to reintroduce this inside our football grounds.

Indeed, the amount of "wahoo's" who turn up half pissed is already a pain, if these numbskull's could "top up" during a game, well, it wouldn't be pretty and extremely off putting for the majority.

Surely people can do without a drink for a whole 2 hours?

As for increasing revenue, I'm not sure, as stated by Lord, the increase would be sufficient to allow any great reduction in entry prices.

Scotland has the worst record in the UK for alcohol related deaths. In 2011 alcohol related mortality was 80% higher than England and Wales.

We don't need to reintroduce this inside our football grounds.

I did say I'm not advocating it's reintroduction. Although if it was reintroduced it's hardly going to have much effect on mortality rates.

I did say I'm not advocating it's reintroduction. Although if it was reintroduced it's hardly going to have much effect on mortality rates.

I'd imagine not as you have done such a good job in proving that selling alcohol on a less restricted basis would not help the club at all

The club runs at a break-even figure (ish) every year, therefore entry fees represent a loss-leader as other income is required to balance the books

20% increase on a minus figure cant amount to much at all. in real terms. You'd be marking up the price to the point where smuggling booze in becomes a more attractive option to many once drinking in the stadium becomes normalised again.

I'd imagine not as you have done such a good job in proving that selling alcohol on a less restricted basis would not help the club at all

The club runs at a break-even figure (ish) every year, therefore entry fees represent a loss-leader as other income is required to balance the books

20% increase on a minus figure cant amount to much at all. in real terms. You'd be marking up the price to the point where smuggling booze in becomes a more attractive option to many once drinking in the stadium becomes normalised again.

Well we can stop people smuggling in booze just now, why would we not be able to do that if drinking was introduced?

As for your first paragraph... I was talking about profit per match day punter, not overall profit. You think St Mirren make a loss on me paying in and watching a game?

Not wishing to be pedantic, but it was built for the 2006 world cup. so I'd be interested to see your info on ownership, who funded the build, and ongoing running/maintenance costs.

Edit: I note 1860 also play their home games there, so presumably that helps mitigate costs as well?

Simple. Check the website. Ownership was shared between them and Munich 1860 - now it's all theirs. Not like you to be wrong, eh?

While its true that grounds in England do sell booze, the police have discretion to prohibit alcohol sales at certain fixtures. I used to often go to Spurs matches, and when another London team visited Spurs the sale of alcohol was prohibited, as it was when Man U or Leeds visited. Most other fixtures allowed half time and pre match sales in the concourses in the stands - my guess is the club made a few bob from it, but once the staff and other overheads is factored in then I doubt (but I don't know) the margin is anything wonderful. Having seen the drinking at these grounds, I'd prefer it wasn't reintroduced at Scottish grounds.

I've not been to a match in Germany, but I have visited the country several times and I've been struck by the German culture of enjoying a drink, without worst excess behaviour which can be experienced here.

Bringing back alcohol provided by the clubs wold most likely see clubs make some additional money, but as to whether or not that would lead to a discounting of entrance pricing is something which strikes me as unlikely.

Well we can stop people smuggling in booze just now, why would we not be able to do that if drinking was introduced?

As for your first paragraph... I was talking about profit per match day punter, not overall profit. You think St Mirren make a loss on me paying in and watching a game?

Gate receipts dont cover the running costs of the club-if you take the pence-per-punter analogy then you accept that it costs more money than we pay at the gate to put on a day of footie. sponsorship deals, corporate income, advertising, prize money and all the other income streams subsidise your entry fee

While its true that grounds in England do sell booze, the police have discretion to prohibit alcohol sales at certain fixtures. I used to often go to Spurs matches, and when another London team visited Spurs the sale of alcohol was prohibited, as it was when Man U or Leeds visited. Most other fixtures allowed half time and pre match sales in the concourses in the stands - my guess is the club made a few bob from it, but once the staff and other overheads is factored in then I doubt (but I don't know) the margin is anything wonderful. Having seen the drinking at these grounds, I'd prefer it wasn't reintroduced at Scottish grounds.

I've not been to a match in Germany, but I have visited the country several times and I've been struck by the German culture of enjoying a drink, without worst excess behaviour which can be experienced here.

Bringing back alcohol provided by the clubs wold most likely see clubs make some additional money, but as to whether or not that would lead to a discounting of entrance pricing is something which strikes me as unlikely.

Indeed the way continental Europeans enjoy alcohol is totally different to the way the UK does.

That's why there's very little in the way of licensing and restrictions there compared to here. You can buy beer in chemists and the like in most places in the continent and walk down the street swigging it happily without anyone giving you a second glance.

That's why alcohol sales at football matches work there but wouldn't work here.

I'm not advocating the introduction of it. The behaviour of Old Firm fans means that drinking in Scottish grounds will never be allowed again.

OF fans?

It's our entire society which cannot handle drink TC.

We have a deep rooted cultural problem which almost nobody will accept.

People in this country largely drink to get drunk or tipsy or whatever word you want to use.

Until we learn to accept we have a problem we can't expect to resolve it to the point where we can have beer at games again.

IMO we are decades away from that.

OF fans?

It's our entire society which cannot handle drink TC.

We have a deep rooted cultural problem which almost nobody will accept.

People in this country largely drink to get drunk or tipsy or whatever word you want to use.

Until we learn to accept we have a problem we can't expect to resolve it to the point where we can have beer at games again.

IMO we are decades away from that.

In equal measure its fair to reflect that Scotland has a subset of society with deep rooted problems of sectarianism. Mixing those 2 problems is a often a heady and troublesome combination.

Gate receipts dont cover the running costs of the club-if you take the pence-per-punter analogy then you accept that it costs more money than we pay at the gate to put on a day of footie. sponsorship deals, corporate income, advertising, prize money and all the other income streams subsidise your entry fee

Well of course. But if I have 20 pounds in my pocket and I'm standing outside St Mirren Park on a match day. It's better for the club if I pay to get in than it is if I walk away, agreed?

It's also better for the club if I spend money whilst there. IE buy programmes, merchandise, food etc. If alcohol was introduced the average spend per punter would go up in the stadium, I don't think there's any doubt about that. The club would make a profit on the alcohol sales and the extra profit would be sufficient to subside ticket prices if the club chose to do so IMO.

We will never know though, because it will never happen.

Drinking a beer at the football as you watch the game is fantastic.

Drinking a beer that you can't take back to your seat at the food & drink stall is pish. I'd rather wait until I go to the pub after the game to have a drink in that case.

Indeed, the amount of "wahoo's" who turn up half pissed is already a pain, if these numbskull's could "top up" during a game, well, it wouldn't be pretty and extremely off putting for the majority.

Aye, those noisy drunken hordes at Gayfield wid drown oot yir magic radio while yir in the hoose on a matchday.

Dafty.

Exactly....................................shocking. bye1.gif

You'll be the same on any AWAY games? whistling.gif

Aye, i shut the cab windaes, tell my punters to f**k up and turn my tranny up full for open aw mics.

Sortit !

Simple. Check the website. Ownership was shared between them and Munich 1860 - now it's all theirs. Not like you to be wrong, eh?

Yeah Thanks I checked. 1860 play their games there too so one would assume they are paying market rent to Bayern which no doubt helps with ticket pricing???

It is nice to be right thanksthumbup2.gif

Indeed the way continental Europeans enjoy alcohol is totally different to the way the UK does.

That's why there's very little in the way of licensing and restrictions there compared to here. You can buy beer in chemists and the like in most places in the continent and walk down the street swigging it happily without anyone giving you a second glance.

That's why alcohol sales at football matches work there but wouldn't work here.

actually if you walk down the street of most European countries swigging alcohol from a bottle etc it is frowned upon when so many cafes/bars allow you to sit out and enjoy a bevvy.