Why So Much Negativity ?

As we all know there are some folk on here that just slate everything St.Mirren, from signings, style of play, manager and the like. It baffles me as to why these guys are actually St.Mirren fans, what enjoyment do they get from supporting the Saints ?

The truth is very simple and straightforward, they are, quite simply, fúcking arseholes.

Ay thang yao! bye1.gif

Was speaking to Brian Caldwell today (update in the Q&A section) and he is certainly feeling very frustrated at some of the overwhelming negativity on the forum at the moment.

He's pointed out (again) that potential new recruits do look at fans messageboards and the like when weighing up their options. It can put players off when they see an overwhelming negative reaction etc..

That can extend from the first team right down to the youth team who are trying to recruit the best young talent to come and join.

Nobody is expecting the place to be full of sweetness and light all the time but at the same time it does appear that some posters are hell bent on putting a negative slant on everything the club does.

I can't and won't ban moaners, it is after all supposed to be an area of free speech but I'd ask each of you to take a moment to think before posting.

If your post is potentially going to harm the club then is it really worth it ?

By all means express an opinion good or bad, but don't stoop to personal abuse and try to celebrate the positives sometimes rather than just the negatives.

If Brian is frustrated at forum negativity, do you know Div, if that extends to stuff like criticism of the strips, AWP leaving (again), or suchlike, or is it purely frustration at some forum bawbags having a pop at every signing we make, even before a ball has been kicked in anger.

Can only think of a handful of negative fans this close season the vast majority are very good.

Indeed, and no-one is ever going to be doing cartwheels over every signing. I have queried why Tesselaar was signed, but then went on to say that he must have been affordable, and can play in a couple of positions, so fair enough. If I am not rushing out to buy a Tesselaar 22 shirt - that's my call, it isn't negativity.

I have said this many times - you look at any forum, for any team, in any sport... they are exactly the same. I'm on the Denver Broncos forum, and the Broncos blew it in the Superbowl, but it was still a great season with Peyton Manning setting records. Sure it was a disappointing end, but.... On the Broncomania forum.... 'Sack the board', 'we need a clear out', 'everyone can GTF'.... followed by 'more sensible' fans hitting back at the 'trolls'.

Anyone looked at the Falkirk site 'One F' or hibs.net, or, or....

We lost a signing because a bawbag on a forum was mumping their gums?

Aye, well, if that's the excuse any prospective signing gives the club if a deal falls through, then fcuk me sideways with a Mo Farah excuse.

I think the general feeling is that no matter what the club does there are certain individuals who can't wait to put the boot in.

We all know there are certain posters out there who have that profile.

Nobody is expecting fans not to criticise or to voice their opinion, but it is a fact that there are some people who look for negatives in EVERYTHING.

I think every club forum is the same but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try and be a bit different.

Some folk are berating the management team and the players already and that is before a single competitive ball has been kicked !

Why not look at the positives, like the emergence of a number of young players into the squad pre season or the fact that we have won 4 games on the spin scoring 10 goals ?!

It's not difficult to be positive, it takes much less energy than always looking for a reason to moan !

Was speaking to Brian Caldwell today (update in the Q&A section) and he is certainly feeling very frustrated at some of the overwhelming negativity on the forum at the moment.

He's pointed out (again) that potential new recruits do look at fans messageboards and the like when weighing up their options. It can put players off when they see an overwhelming negative reaction etc..

That can extend from the first team right down to the youth team who are trying to recruit the best young talent to come and join.

Nobody is expecting the place to be full of sweetness and light all the time but at the same time it does appear that some posters are hell bent on putting a negative slant on everything the club does.

I can't and won't ban moaners, it is after all supposed to be an area of free speech but I'd ask each of you to take a moment to think before posting.

If your post is potentially going to harm the club then is it really worth it ?

By all means express an opinion good or bad, but don't stoop to personal abuse and try to celebrate the positives sometimes rather than just the negatives.

i agree div and can understand brians concerns. I very rarely read b&w now purely because the tone of a lot of posts.(i know of a fee others who feel the same) Surely being a Saints fan is about talking up our wee club(yes we are a wee club)

As for criticism, it is ok as long as its constructive critism and it should never be personal or abusive.

Hopefully it changes sooner rather than later

I think the general feeling is that no matter what the club does there are certain individuals who can't wait to put the boot in.

Nobody is expecting fans not to criticise or to voice their opinion, but it is a fact that there are some people who look for negatives in EVERYTHING.

I think every club forum is the same but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try and be a bit different.

Some folk are berating the management team and the players already and that is before a single competitive ball has been kicked !

Why not look at the positives, like the emergence of a number of young players into the squad pre season or the fact that we have won 4 games on the spin scoring 10 goals ?!

It's not difficult to be positive, it takes much less energy than always looking for a reason to moan !

mmmm

I used to back Gus Macpherson week after week when the majority on this forum were very negative and slating him every week.

Ironically, many of them are the very guys who complain about the negativity just now...

Make that 5 games and TWENTY goals and that is without the Hawk.

Thommo and Ball up front this season?

If Ball continues to hit the post then Thommo will cannon in the rebounds......

That's terrible mate !

Mind when we had Lambert & Butler playing for us thumbup2.gif

Every year it's the same. Last year it was partly because we lost our pre-season friendlies...what a difference winning them all makes for some!

Partly wind up merchants, partly perpetual doom-ridden pessimists and partly those unhappy with particular issues who then take that point too far would be my take on it. Oh and also those who are too young or too deluded to remember how close we sailed to the winds of bankruptcy...

There are so many things to be positive about being a Saints fan, far too many to mention. There are also a few specific issues that I would take with the running of certain aspects of the club, but nothing in comparison to the overwhelming abundance of positive aspects. With the issues I have there is also an appreciation that I know very little about the ins and outs of the day to day running of a football team and an acceptance that the guys in charge have done a pretty good job over their tenure.

We have an amazing club when we all get behind it. Our League Cup success particularly from the perspective of our visits to Hampden in Semi and Final are case and point in the recent past.

Constructive criticism and debate are great and what this forum should be all about, remembering, we are our club.

Edited by Bart Simpson

Positives:

It's a new season, we start on the same points as everyone else - anything is possible!

We have a very good goalkeeper in Kello.

We have very good young full backs in Kelly and Naismith.

We have two fantastic young midfielders in McGinn and McLean.

We have a lightning quick winger in Wylde, who has shown he can score goals as well.

We have a club legend in Thommo, still knocking in the goals last season even at 35.

We've won 5 pre season games in a row, scoring 20 goals.

We've signed new strikers in Caldwell and Marwood to assist Thommo, and will hopefully add Ball who has impressed with his goals in two friendlies.

We have brought in another batch of youngsters, with Brown and Williams among those impressing so far.

We've two bright young coaches in Teale and Goodwin adding their ideas and enthusiasm to the experience and coaching ability of the manager.

There are plenty of things to be positive about, probably many I've missed. I cannot wait til the season starts. Seeing guys who've come through the youth system probably excites me more than new signings, although I've liked what I've seen so far from Marwood and Caldwell, and seen good reports about Ball and Plummer.

Let's go into the season with a smile and with hope of great things.