Ball Signs

No reason why Thommo and Ball can't play together. Worked for Lavety and Yardley. Best of luck Callum.

It worked well with Yardley & Lavety because we were in the First Division and camped in the opposition box a lot of the time. Not so sure if it would work as well in the top flight.

Where it might well happen is in the latter stages of games where we are chasing a goal.

Would allow Marwood to play on the right too if we so wished which many have highlighted as area we need to strengthen.

I think Marwood will be mainly used out right. I think we will try go 4-5-1 / 4-2-3-1:

McGinn-Goodwin

Marwood-McLean-Wylde

Thommo/Ball

Kenny and John can switch between the advanced and deep role at their leisure and Marwood and Wylde give us genuine pace down the flanks. Can't see us ever starting with Thommo and Ball, but if we are behind going into the last half hour I expect it will happen. It's good to have a plan B!

I think Marwood will be mainly used out right. I think we will try go 4-5-1 / 4-2-3-1:

McGinn-Goodwin

Marwood-McLean-Wylde

Thommo/Ball

Kenny and John can switch between the advanced and deep role at their leisure and Marwood and Wylde give us genuine pace down the flanks. Can't see us ever starting with Thommo and Ball, but if we are behind going into the last half hour I expect it will happen. It's good to have a plan B!

This is an very sexy line up

At this point I will reserve judgement on the season ahead.

What I do find significant, however, is the fact that the manager has acted swiftly on the trialists. In previous seasons we have had players on trial for weeks and ultimately came to nothing leaving us on the back foot and consequently making rash, panic signings.

Having watched the team the other night, albeit against much lower opposition, they looked confident, comfortable in possession and worked well as a team.

Ball, for all he is a big lad and obviously lacking in fitness, worked hard, used the ball well and took his goals with aplomb. For me he was worth a contract which he ultimately got. A good quick decision by the manager and his team. Same applied to Caldwell.

What also impressed me was the contribution of youngsters on show. Not one of them looked out of place and all of them were comfortable on the ball and with their distribution.

This can hopefully set us off on a much better foot than last season. I'm not expecting too much but what I believe we do have is a good balance within the squad with different options if required.

It worked well with Yardley & Lavety because we were in the First Division and camped in the opposition box a lot of the time. Not so sure if it would work as well in the top flight.

Where it might well happen is in the latter stages of games where we are chasing a goal.

It worked well because we had Junior in the team as well. Tactically, teams would want to push up to stop balls being put into the area for Yardley & Lavety, but Junior's pace meant that they couldn't push out too far. We effectively had a threat whatever they tried to do.

love the way the squad is shaping up , are we going for a 2-3 - 5 formation

Ahh. 3-2-5.

Memories. Like the corner.....

Old fashioned triangles, (or "W's" some would say.)

You score four, we'll score five..

Width in the arttacking third.

Wingers back to the fore with pace and ability to beat a man.

The beautiful game when it was the beautiful game.

Don't see it in the modern game.

But.... Our manager is well past 65 mind.lol.gif

Spoke to an ex colleague who is also a youth scout for Derby County. He has known Callum for the last 4 years. Says he is a fantastic finisher and great in the air. Only slight negative is he is a bit one paced. Is convinced he will score lots of goals for us at our level. Also says his brother owns a gym which Callum uses regularly and may explain his large frame. All in all it sounds like a great move by the club to get Callum aboard. Happy days.

OK will leave out posting for a while, didnt mean to start a furore previously. Good luck for the season anyway.

OK will leave out posting for a while, I achieved exactly what I set out to do - cause a furore. Will be back under a new shite alias to post pish again very soon.

Fixed.

Look, its just my own opinion, I`m not asking anyone to agree with me.Ive never heard of, or seen this player but I do know that "championship" is the second division both here and in England.

Celtic paid a lot of money for Hopper who was highly rated, not given a free or loaned out to minnows.

At least with lower league players here, they do not constantly have their eyes on moving back home.

So basically you want high calibre players who have no aspirations above st mirren?

loads of them knocking about........

As for the second division in England, pretty much every club in it would trounce any spfl club

Oh dear, i am coming to regret having the audacity to post my (own) point of view.All you english football experts must be correct then. I bow to your superior knowledge.

Must be great to pick holes in others posts.

Unfortunately, so are we.

Oh dear, i am coming to regret having the audacity to post my (own) point of view.All you english football experts must be correct then. I bow to your superior knowledge.

Must be great to pick holes in others posts.

Stop being so pissy.

The beauty of a forum is that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and others are entitled to rip holes in them when they spout pish.

You started with this belter:

Not posted for quite a while, it being the close season and most of my previous posts being reviled, even though they were unfailingly accurate.

Unfailingly accurate? Give me f**king strength. Swanning around like you're some sort of misunderstood oracle. I can't even be arsed to find out what your previous posts were, but I bet there weren't unfailingly accurate.

It's safe to make that assumption because you followed that up with this beauty:

One thing I do despair of, however, is the notion some people have (Craig obviously among them)that players from the lower and non league system in England can come here and do well.Furthermore, even if they DID manage to succeed, they would be off like a shot back to their own country.

If unfailing accuracy is what you strive for, you're a long way short. Thing is, you keep playing the 'it's just my opinion' line, but people very quickly gave you actual, functioning, real-life examples of of why you were wrong in this instance. They showed that people CAN come from the lower English leagues and do well. It's not a 'notion', as you put it, it's totally plausible. BY the same token, it's not guaranteed to be successful, but we've signed experienced SPL players before who have returned hee-haw for us (Harkins, Dargo, etc) so I really struggle to see what point you're making.

Bitch and whine all you want about people slagging your 'opinions', but sometimes opinions are just objectively and demonstrably wrong.

Edited by Magic Monkey

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have been very critical of Josh Magennis' stint with us, Danny's summer transfer window, the new kits, and my signature text continues to rumble on towards a year and three months...

You can voice your opinion without being a complete cnut though. Unless of course your agenda is to be an argumentative shit-stirring troll cnut. If that's your game, be prepared for the backlash.

Stop being so pissy.

The beauty of a forum is that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and others are entitled to rip holes in them when they spout pish.

You started with this belter:

Unfailingly accurate? Give me f**king strength. Swanning around like you're some sort of misunderstood oracle. I can't even be arsed to find out what your previous posts were, but I bet there weren't unfailingly accurate.

It's safe to make that assumption because you followed that up with this beauty:

If unfailing accuracy is what you strive for, you're a long way short. Thing is, you keep playing the 'it's just my opinion' line, but people very quickly gave you actual, functioning, real-life examples of of why you were wrong in this instance. They showed that people CAN come from the lower English leagues and do well. It's not a 'notion', as you put it, it's totally plausible. BY the same token, it's not guaranteed to be successful, but we've signed experienced SPL players before who have returned hee-haw for us (Harkins, Dargo, etc) so I really struggle to see what point you're making.

Bitch and whine all you want about people slagging your 'opinions', but sometimes opinions are just objectively and demonstrably wrong.

Good result on Friday eh. Beaten by a fourth division side. You have a nerve saying I talk rubbish. Away and watch your English team, what division are they in ?