Motherwell Gate Priced

For years Motherwell have been paying large wages to players. Now they're feeling the pinch and cutting back on signing players. They've also lost Leanne Dempster, who seemed to be pretty effective at managing their finances.

What better way to relieve your financial shortfall, in the short term, than by stiffing the away support.

A few people may boycott the game, but most people, like myself, will still attend.

Maybe later in the season fans will start to vote with their feet. Maybe, by the time we play the next away fixture v Motherwell, they might have reviewed their pricing.

I'm not particularly happy about it, but I'm making the choice to attend, despite the price.

Not very happy at the gate price tbh, but still I will be in attendance with my son as we look forward to the opening game.

When you consider travel cost and food it is an expensive day out, but then if for example you take two kids to the cinema, by the time you purchase tickets and then food it's probably more expensive than going to a football match.

I won't be moaning about the fir park gate price if we come home with 3 points :-)

But at least you get entertained at the cinema, seemingly!

Not very happy at the gate price tbh, but still I will be in attendance with my son as we look forward to the opening game.

When you consider travel cost and food it is an expensive day out, but then if for example you take two kids to the cinema, by the time you purchase tickets and then food it's probably more expensive than going to a football match.

I won't be moaning about the fir park gate price if we come home with 3 points :-)

What cinema do you go to? An adult and 2 kids will cost around £26. Bring your own sweets and even with popcorn that will be around £30. I doubt 3 tickets to football plus sweets etc will be less than that. The price of football is now beyond a lot of people who would like to go. Unless you price it right many future fans will find/have other things to spend their money on.

Overall last seasons attendances were up by 2.1%

Ross County & Inverness were real big losers, both down by 14.5% & 11.9% respectively with Killie not far behind at 8.5%

Partick (+38.4%) & Aberdeen (+34.4%) were the big winners.

We were +2.8% thumbup2.gif

Attendances have been pretty stable over the last 10 years or more.

I'm not denying it's costly, but, as a few have mentioned, so are other pastimes.

As I've said, if teams reduced the cost considerably the increase in attendance would NOT make up the shortfall, thus teams would lose on income, a sure way to disaster.

Overall last seasons attendances were up by 2.1%

Ross County & Inverness were real big losers, both down by 14.5% & 11.9% respectively with Killie not far behind at 8.5%

Partick (+38.4%) & Aberdeen (+34.4%) were the big winners.

We were +2.8% thumbup2.gif

To me, it looks like Armageddon. :(

:)

What I don't get is saints charge 20 and 10 for a concession. They charge 23 and 16. That is a joke of a price for an concession and I wonder if saints should just start charging more now? Make a few extra pounds every now and then? I think our pricing is fair and it's the same for away teams but generally we are paying more at every ground we go to than these teams pay at our stadium. I know its a pastime or a hobby but the game needs to be priced at the right level.

You reckon that it would be a good idea for Saints to get back at Motherwell by raising away prices so high that our away stand is completely empty as well?

How exactly does that make us more money? Have you been getting financial tips from Dickson again?

£10 adults and £5 kids.

The alternative is empty grounds.

What part of this are you not getting?

What nonsense.

Clubs don't charge that, grounds aren't empty. Indeed attendances are going up.

It's simple economics. The clubs will charge the figure they feel will maximise revenue. If they cut prices in half would double the amount of people go? No, so clubs would lose out.

If people think this or any product is too expensive, the way to show your annoyance is simple: Don't buy it.

I'm with you on this Shull, £23 is a shocking price, no wonder the games in the state it is in our country.

£23 is a rip off but lets be honest our game is is on the up again.

Clubs are much better run now, even though we were threatened with all sorts of Armageddon ,the game has flourished. So many different teams winning trophies, including ours, and the amount of young stars getting introduced to the league is very exciting.

Attendances have stayed strong on the whole, apart from Celtic but we knew they'd miss their bigot brothers. They are the only team to do so.

I don't agree with clubs adding an extra £1 or 2 on and hope the fans don't notice. Even though the extra £3 is only the price of a pint, its the principle. Its not fair we only charge £20 and get ripped off by everyone else.

Ideally my price limit would be £18 max, and £20 for OF games to cover extra policing costs.

Cost a total of £14 for me and Abby to go to Cinema last week.

How much Fir Park ?

Didnae have to purchase anything at Cinema as we ate and drank at a very cheap Burger King beforehand.

What nonsense.

Clubs don't charge that, grounds aren't empty. Indeed attendances are going up.

It's simple economics. The clubs will charge the figure they feel will maximise revenue. If they cut prices in half would double the amount of people go? No, so clubs would lose out.

If people think this or any product is too expensive, the way to show your annoyance is simple: Don't buy it.

its not that simple. Most fans go to games because they love their club. Many are being forced to cherry pick games because they can no longer afford it on a regular basis.

its not that simple. Most fans go to games because they love their club. Many are being forced to cherry pick games because they can no longer afford it on a regular basis.

Well that's market forces at work.

Businesses have the right to charge what they like for their product, football clubs are no different.

Consumers have the right to either purchase the product, or not to purchase it.

ETA what I would like to see is the league step in and enforce a standard pricing structure for away fans. I don't think it should vary from ground to ground.

Edited by TopCat

Well that's market forces at work.

Businesses have the right to charge what they like for their product, football clubs are no different.

Consumers have the right to either purchase the product, or not to purchase it.

ETA what I would like to see is the league step in and enforce a standard pricing structure for away fans. I don't think it should vary from ground to ground.

Er....

Your edit contradicts the initial post. :unsure:

YOU started it....

(I'm more disappointed than surprised really. :( )

Eta:Just looked at Wiki...

6346 v Killie in 2012-13

6711 v The Deid Club in 2011-12

And last year's wee crowd was v hertz, right enough

Not impressive numbers.

Says all the more for the management of SG and Co

Edited by bluto

What cinema do you go to? An adult and 2 kids will cost around £26. Bring your own sweets and even with popcorn that will be around £30. I doubt 3 tickets to football plus sweets etc will be less than that. The price of football is now beyond a lot of people who would like to go. Unless you price it right many future fans will find/have other things to spend their money on.

It all depends on how many adults and kids there are when making cinema comparisons. I recently went to a birthday outing to the cinema with two adults and 11 kids. It cost around £120 for tickets. Same configuration to a St Mirren game would be about half that to get in.

Saints highest crowd last season was only 6311? ohmy.png

I'd have thought Hertz or Killie would have filled the ground a bit more than that.

Hearts sold all their 2400 tickets against us. Sadly it is the home fans that are not turning up with us very rarely getting more than 4000 in the home end. Only way for us to get a bigger home gate is to give more of the ground to away teams like Celtic thumbdown.gif