St Mirren Development Side ( Formerly U 20's)

The young Saints held Celtic to a 1-1 draw at Cappielow tonight. No details about the goal scorer so maybe someone can help with the match details.

I like to believe that should read Celtic hung on desperately for a 1-1 draw against the young Saints despite the usual dodgy penalty in the last minute.

I like to believe that should read Celtic hung on desperately for a 1-1 draw against the young Saints despite the usual dodgy penalty in the last minute.

It was a late equaliser for them,don't know if it was a pen tho.

Fingers crossed he's going to be a forward that breaks through to the first team. Still not 18.

It would be fantastic if our academy could produce a young striker who could make the breakthrough to the first team. It seems to be an area that we struggle with, considering the amount of talented young players we are producing for just about every other position.

It was a good game at Crappielow last night.

To be fair, Celtic probably had the upper hand overall, but we had good periods of play when we were on top.

We scored against the run of play but it was a good move down the left which left the Celtic defence exposed. Their equaliser was probably deserved, but it was a clear mistake at the back that gifted it to them, other than that we looked pretty solid at the back with Sean Kelly playing a CH role or at least in the middle of defence.

I thought the Celtic no. 5 was a very good prospect (team-sheet named him as Marcus Fraser) - read the game well, was comfortable on the ball and had the ability to break with the ball from defence and create danger at the opposite end. Mo Yaqub had a difficult night, but came through it quite well. He was up against a tricky winger who knew how to beat a player but Mo held his side of the field up quite well.

I think we lack a finisher up front and I don't see another McLean or a McGinn coming through yet from midfield.

The teamsheet was:

1.Dan Wilks

2.Mark Williams

3.Mo Yaqub

4.Declan Hughes

5.Seam Kelly

6.Jack Baird

7.Lewis McLear

8.Barry Cuddihy

9.Adam Brown

10.Keiran Doran

11.Robbie Mitchell

Subs, Lewis Morgan, Conor Murray, Josh Beattie, Darren Whyte, Aidan Williams

For all Celtic's pressure, we should have won the game in the last minute with two chances in front of a goal with only their keeper to beat. He pulled off an effective, but clumsy looking save and the game finished at 1-1.

For once, the sun shone on Greenock!

Edited by The Original 59er

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...