St Mirren V Dunfermline League Cup 26/27 August

shull

Lower division crowd for lower division players. Oh, and why would Craig sign a player and play him ( Osbourne)if he is not fit ? Precisely, he hasnt an idea as a manager.

How many are likely to turn up on Saturday to witness another defeat ? Three games at home in a week would cost a fan £55. I`ve missed the first two and intend likewise on Saturday.these prices are madness.

Good.You won't be missed.

Last night's performance was a bit of a curate's egg. We made our customary defensive slip and rarely looked like scoring for the rest of the first half, Thommo had clearly regressed in terms of fitness since Saturday's game and on that basis I wouldn't want to criticize McGinn & McLean too much. Taking off Osbourne @ h/t led to us being more direct in the second half although it was a bit harem-scarem at times, however the most important thing was the win and one of our new forwards opening his account with the club.

Anyone got an explanation for why JG wasn't even on the bench last night, giving Osbourne a game was (in the end) a good decision and even though he was subbed @ h/t I'm sure either he or JG will start on Saturday. The other worry is Thommo's continuing injury, estimates last night were between 2 & 6 weeks - hopefully the former is closer to the mark as with the international break that would only mean one more league game.

Sure it would have been great to have coasted through the tie but if you look at the other results the bulk of them were pretty close and in the final analysis a win's a win - onwards and sideyways!

Goodwin pulled up in the warm up last night which is why he wasn't even on the bench.

Would have started the game had he been fit.

Thanks - that's what you miss when you rock up with two minutes to spare.

LOL just checked the paper there my eye's missed the 1 before 900.

As someone mentioned earlier roundabout 2,000 is par (sic) for the course for the midweek ties in the LC these days for clubs our size.

• Morton vs Partick - 2005 for a League 1 vs SPFL clash, slightly bigger attendance but the distance for away fans is less.
  • Stranraer vs Ross County - 297 for this clash, OK Stranraer are a small club and it was a long way for County fans to travel but would County even have covered their expenses on a crowd like that. I know the place money increases the further you progress but if County had gone out it'd have been a hit financially for them.
Edited by Bud the Baker

Agree with your comments. The running off the ball was not good last night and that was why there were gaps between the midfield and up front and behind.

One report commented on Osbourne 'trading passes' with our central defenders. I felt a bit sorry for him as it only appeared to be Cheesy and Plummer who were making themselves available.

Yeh I thought Osbourne was fine, he was there to break up play, protect the defence and get the ball to McGinn and Mclean and he did that.

I don't know what Drury has done to deserve a starting slot so early on, surely we'd be better starting with Teale or Reilly and bringing him on later to get him settled in, he looks a bit lost.

I just hope he doesn’t have a clause that he has to play when fit as was rumoured for Newton. He should have been hooked earlier on Saturday and although he was better last night, I’d rather see our own youngsters like Reilly and Kelly playing unless the guy on loan is a better player which Drury hasn’t showed yet.

I felt the starting line up last night did not have enough experience.

Goodwin and Teale should have started last night in place of Osbourne and Drury.

It was absolutely critical that we won last night, and credit to Caldwell for delivering the goods up front. He deserves to start alongside Ball on Saturday.

Osbourne has plenty of experience so don't get where you are coming from with that 1 mate?

Maybe lacking fitness but he is experienced and I'm not sure Teale has the legs for it anymore, he came on against Hamilton and looked miles off the pace.

The win is vital in that a cup run will be a good outlet for the players as they endure a very tough league campaign.

Thomson and Goodwin missing is a worry, we simply dont have any depth in numbers to cover any lengthy abences so hopefully they will be back soon

Here's hoping we grind our way through the united game and get a point to at least break the league duck-the prospect of getting to mid-september without a point is a grim one

Thought it was a pretty poor performance overall. First half with Osbourne sitting in, we looked okay at the back, but we had nothing going forward. Thommo not being fully fit meant he wasn't able to chase anything down, or get into space to receive a pass. This resulted in McGinn and McLean trying to do it all themselves and losing the ball a few times. Second half we were better going forward, but without Jim or Isaac we look really dodgy at the back, Plummer aside. Thought Ball and Caldwell linked up well for the goal, and Caldwell took them well. Did well to not panic considering our lack of goals. Hopefully it turns out to be the confidence booster we need, but we'll wait and see!

Went to the game last night - thought Tesselaar and Wylde were pretty good - in the first half our only creativity came through Wylde. As for Adam Drury, he needs to find a way to get open and be making runs into space. In the first half he might as well not have been on the field, but when he gets the ball, he looks OK.

John McGinn didn't have his best game, I thought.

Went to the game last night - thought Tesselaar and Wylde were pretty good - in the first half our only creativity came through Wylde. As for Adam Drury, he needs to find a way to get open and be making runs into space. In the first half he might as well not have been on the field, but when he gets the ball, he looks OK.

John McGinn didn't have his best game, I thought.

Wylde never got past the right back at all in the first half, he didnt do too much better in the 2nd when they switched wings.

Poor last night, but at least we won - and scored! Maybe that will kick start our season. McGinn and McLean had poor games - that's twice in recent weeks. Kello had a few dodgy moments, as did young Plummer. Tess and Naismith looked good, Ball worked hard and Caldwell took his goals well. Thommo looked out of sorts, so was probably carrying his injury from the beginning of the match. Wylde wasted so many final balls it was shameful, and I'm not sure what Drury brings to the team. Osborne did OK if his job was to pass sideways and backwards. As for Cheesy.........what else can be said? Dung probably deserved to take the game into extra time at least, but that's fitba. On a positive note, the airport was full of disappointed Dhims crying into their beer! Naturally I expressed my sympathy, but I don't think they appreciated that I suggested they might have set a new record - first club to be papped out of the Champions League twice in one season. F*ckem!!!

Yeh I thought Osbourne was fine, he was there to break up play, protect the defence and get the ball to McGinn and Mclean and he did that.

I just hope he doesn’t have a clause that he has to play when fit as was rumoured for Newton. He should have been hooked earlier on Saturday and although he was better last night, I’d rather see our own youngsters like Reilly and Kelly playing unless the guy on loan is a better player which Drury hasn’t showed yet.

Defensively I though Osbourne done fine, but he certainly never passed to the midfield enough, 90% of his passes went back to Cheesy which just completely shows the game down

Defensively I though Osbourne done fine, but he certainly never passed to the midfield enough, 90% of his passes went back to Cheesy which just completely shows the game down

Back to Cheesy, up to McLean (who's been demanding it), back to Cheesy, back to Kello, to Cheesy, to McLean (who's been leaping around like a man keen to take possesion and really drive at the opposition), back to Cheesy...Cheesy plays a ball to...throw in...