St Mirren V Dunfermline League Cup 26/27 August

shull

Well.... What a disgusting first half that was!! Far too slow to build up any attack. Osbourne continually turning back and rolling the ball to the centre halfs when we needed forward play. McGinn & McLean being posted anonymous. Anything that could've went wrong did.

Also - Thompson totally chucked it midway through the first half. I understand he may have been injured but if this was the case he should have been hooked right away. Terrible attitude to not even bother moving for balls.

Second half was reasonable but still not acceptable, especially against a team in league 1! Glad to see Caldwell grab some goals, hopefully he'll come onto a bit of form now and get a run of starts but we need to up the standard for the league.

Lastly, This really must be time up for Tam Reilly. If he cant get a run out against a mediocre team in League 1. He's got no chance of turning out for us in the Premiership.

Edit *** LEAGUE 1 ***

Edited by Spam_Valley

I would honestly say that Reilly would offer just as much as drury so what's point playing drury when he's not any better than we've got

Drury has played a couple of games and despite his 2 bad misses on saturday I thought he did not too bad in his general play. Think we need to give him time. Reilly has had umpteen chances to impress without success,

Edit Wasn't there tonight so not sure how he did

Edited by stevenston saint

Really poor first half and in general it wasn't very good tonight but tommy deserves credit for changing it at half time and our play was much more direct in the second half. I will take the win but I worry about naismith and Marc I think they are looking increasingly vulnerable. Anyhow let's be happy we're made it through despite playing well below par. I just hope we can get up to speed in the next game on sat.

Edited by norrie82

Really poor first half and in general it wasn't very good tonight but tommy deserves credit for changing it at half time and our play was much more direct in the second half. I will take the win but I worry about naismith and Marc I think they are looking increasingly vulnerable. Anyhow let's be happy we're made it through despite playing well below par. I just hope we can get up to speed in the next game on sat.

I think, get ready for this, that's a decent summary.

Please bookmark this, it'll be the last we agree. whistling.gif

Result was all tonight, we've played well in 2 games and got nothing, apart from the usual panic posts, so winning was the main thing tonight.

That's us played 4 games, played well in 2, shite in another and mixed tonight. (No, I haven't seen any games, basing this on the majority of decent forum members posts tongue.png )

Not great but still some signs we can have some hope.

Well.... What a disgusting first half that was!! Far too slow to build up any attack. Osbourne continually turning back and rolling the ball to the centre halfs when we needed forward play. McGinn & McLean being posted anonymous. Anything that could've went wrong did.

Also - Thompson totally chucked it midway through the first half. I understand he may have been injured but if this was the case he should have been hooked right away. Terrible attitude to not even bother moving for balls.

Second half was reasonable but still not acceptable, especially against a team in league 1! Glad to see Caldwell grab some goals, hopefully he'll come onto a bit of form now and get a run of starts but we need to up the standard for the league.

Lastly, This really must be time up for Tam Reilly. If he cant get a run out against a mediocre team in League 1. He's got no chance of turning out for us in the Premiership.

Edit *** LEAGUE 1 ***

Thommo gubbed and will be out for a while

Rushed back it seems

Good goals by Caldwell but defence still a shambles

But a win is a win and badly needed

Thommo gubbed and will be out for a while

Rushed back it seems

Good goals by Caldwell but defence still a shambles

But a win is a win and badly needed

Certainly looks like it. I wouldn't have bothered rushing him. Wait till he's fully fight and get the real Thompson back. A 50% ST added absolutely zero this evening.

A win is a win and it's good to witness one again. Onwards to United.

I think, get ready for this, that's a decent summary.

Please bookmark this, it'll be the last we agree. :whistle

Result was all tonight, we've played well in 2 games and got nothing, apart from the usual panic posts, so winning was the main thing tonight.

That's us played 4 games, played well in 2, shite in another and mixed tonight. (No, I haven't seen any games, basing this on the majority of decent forum members posts :P )

Not great but still some signs we can have some hope.

You never know maybe this season we will agree on more? Unlikely but I know the manager needs a wee bit of time. He needs a league win fairly soon though. Agree?

Well, Tommy got what he's been after, a win when we aren't playing well.

The 2 subs at half time made a big difference. Caldwell seemed confident from the off, took his goals well and could have added a third if it wasn't for a good save from the Pars keeper. Ball held the ball up well, bullied the defenders, had some nice touches (as well as some poor ones) and linked up well with Caldwell.

Defence was poor bar Tess and Plummer. McLean and McGinn - totally off form, but got better as the game went on.

All in all, it's a win. Let's kick on.

Certainly looks like it. I wouldn't have bothered rushing him. Wait till he's fully fight and get the real Thompson back. A 50% ST added absolutely zero this evening.

Do you think that is likely to happen? I fear this could be one season too many for Tommo. I hope I am wrong..

Edited by stevenston saint

Do you think that this is likely to happen ? I fear this could be one season too many for Tommo. I hope I'm wrong !!

Quite a statement and would be a dramatic fall from grace.

Why he would go from more than decent last season to oblivion, well, only you know.

Quite a statement and would be a dramatic fall from grace.

Why he would go from more than decent last season to oblivion, well, only you know.

As I say I hope not and only time will tell but the older you get the harder it is to recover from injuries etc. We cannot rely on him to get us out the sh&t and play twice a week forever.

I think tommy was desperate to get his presence back into a struggling team in the hope that he might last an hour and score a goal. It backfired and I really hope rushing him back hasn't did him more harm

Christ, I agree.

Our recent results and lack of goals could easily have swayed TC on his decision.

You can't blame him, and Thompson would have had a say in this, don't forget, he's no 18 year old.

Time will tell but we still need to settle down and stop letting goals in, no shut outs so far this season, a concern that was brushed over by some in defending one player.

First half we had a formation that was not working. 5 man defence that sat back with Osbourne far too deep and two wingers on the touch line too wide and Thommo islolated up front. McGinn and McLean were supposed to cover the complete midfield and support Thommo. The Pars deserved their half time lead as they played a lot better than us.

Full credit to Tommy at half time. Took off the sitting midfielder and changed to 4-3-3 with Wylde going on the right meaning he could not cross (thank goodness) and had to cut inside and shoot. Think Wylde plays far better on the right. Ball and Caldwell linked up well and we suddenly looked like an attacking force but the Pars were still in the game and with our horrific defending could easily have equalised. But 2 goals, through to the next round so not bad. And Thommo may be fit again for after the Scotland game according to Tommy on Radio Scotland. :)

As I say I hope not and only time will tell but the older you get the harder it is to recover from injuries etc. We cannot rely on him to get us out the sh&t and play twice a week forever.

Never said he can't do with some help but your OP suggested he was fcuked............................

Sure, he's another year older and I agree we need some assistance and quick, he's been our saviour for the last few seasons, we need a consistant scorer and quick.