Jim Goodwin Liability

But I've already told you Meg... i don't have your gift!

I am restricted to the mere human capacity of reading words and taking them literally.

How was i to know you don't mean what you say?

;)

ETA

How long ago was that now?

Was he punished for it?

If only you knew my intent.

It's clear from the images for me (and most people with eyes) that he tried to crack Sutton on the back of the head. He deserved a yellow card and a sending off. Hes an idiot.

If you want to pretend he was just giving him a slight nudge cos he plays for St Mirren, then that's fine x

Edited by JM1

If only you knew my intent.

It's clear from the images for me (and most people with eyes) that he tried to crack Sutton on the back of the head. He deserved a yellow card and a sending off. Hes an idiot.

If you want to pretend he was just giving him a slight nudge cos he plays for St Mirren, then that's fine x

Oi!

No kissing!

We haven't even held hands!!

I'm not pretending anything.

I have already condemned the challenge and the player for making it.

I just (going back to your original post) was impressed by your gift!

You won't find many who have more experience in football than our manager and he was happy to, not just keep Jim at the club, but promote him to player-coach despite all the controversy. Contrast with Paul McGowan!

Have to assume that Goodwin is excellent behind the scenes and well-respected by the other players. The problem for Tommy and Jim is that St Mirren players will have watched the highlights and thought "WTF were you doing letting us down like that". Natural for a wee bit of the respect to disappear.

Can't do anything else but hope he learns and this is the last time............

So, we're to be like Rangers fans now? f**k off!

Jim said, last season, that he plays hard, expects the same and gets in your face. That's all fair enough if you're not punching someone off the ball, cowardly smashing someone from behind or sliding in on someone who is already down.

I don't care about McCulloch, Black, Lasley, Barton, Fellaini or any other thug and the actions of their fans. I care that we have a player on the park who would rather punch, smash or clear out a player for no reason rather than just play his position.

What utter and complete drivel.....

You have now made up a whole load of things he simply didn't do on saturday.

Why?

Is it so hard to climb down of your horse of high integrity and admit you and a few others have overcooked this and then some.

Think for a minute, what you are suggesting is that in a game of contact sport, our club should sack anyone coming into contact with an opposing player?

Away and bile yir can. It's a man's game, man up or if you want to see real contact go watch a Woman's Hockey or Netball game!

They don't take prisoners, and they din't have a load if knicker-wetters saying 'gonna no dae that"

Edit: what makes your and the other Goodwin haters case even more paper thin is the fact his first yellow wasn't a foul, never mind a card offence. He won the ball, and the player fell over him in an attempt to influence the referee.

As his name is Goodwin (which comes pre-printed in all Refs notebooks) he got a card for a challenge that wasn't even a foul!

And so to this so called sickening forearm smash/elbow/near decapitation of Sutton....

Quite simply he leads with his forearm, forgetting Sutton can't jump for toffee, so instead of a nudge in the back, its a nudge on the neck/head. Which Sutton doesn't even react to. But again because his name is Goodwin its a second yellow (unless he'd been warned once or twice) when most would only concede a free kick.

It should be appealed!

Edited by Lord Pityme

Firstly.

It's a yellow which, IIRC, cannot be appealed and, secondly, it would fall on deaf ears as the incident was caught on camera and, even with black and white coloured glasses, it appears that Jim did raise his arm.

Correct on both counts, a yellow can't be appealed unless it's for mistaken identity TV pictures show that he did raise his forearm into and towards Sutton.

The worry for me is the rightly or wrongly Goodwin was booked in the first half, he then complained to the ref on more than one occasion, committed another tackle that he was warned over and then there was the Sutton incident.

In my opinion he should have been substituted as there was only going to be one outcome whether it came from a Goodwin misdemeanour or gamesmanship from a Motherwell player and eventually we would be down to ten men.

Firstly.

It's a yellow which, IIRC, cannot be appealed and, secondly, it would fall on deaf ears as the incident was caught on camera and, even with black and white coloured glasses, it appears that Jim did raise his arm.

I know the anomaly in the game about being unable to appeal a sending off from two bookable offences. That said Goody or anyv player is free to raise their arms till the cows come home....

The offence is striking someone with it, and as the video shows he didn't strike Sutton with the raised arm so he was yellow carded twice in the game and neither were a foul.

Still think his name ism't pre-printed in refs notebooks?

I don't think there's any actual contact, but I do think there was a hint of malice in what he did. Whether he pulled out of it or not, it was still a yellow card offence, on balance.

Sutton did not go down as a result of Goodwin, though, he (JS) was just committed to winning the ball and he went down as part of the tussle.

It was telling that Stephen Thomson did not try to defend Jim Goodwin. His comment on Sportscene showed his disappointment. Regardless of who is right on culpability in this debate it must be obvious that we are seriously hampered as a team every time Jim is sent off. That is not going to change.

I know the anomaly in the game about being unable to appeal a sending off from two bookable offences. That said Goody or anyv player is free to raise their arms till the cows come home....

The offence is striking someone with it, and as the video shows he didn't strike Sutton with the raised arm so he was yellow carded twice in the game and neither were a foul.

Still think his name ism't pre-printed in refs notebooks?

Striking someone could fall under two categories - a player guilty of violent conduct, or one who strikes or attempts to strike an opponent. So raising a hand and not striking the other guy can still be an offence.

Striking someone could fall under two categories - a player guilty of violent conduct, or one who strikes or attempts to strike an opponent. So raising a hand and not striking the other guy can still be an offence.

That's fine. If the rules are followed to the letter of the law, most games will end up with 4 or 5 players sent off.

I'm amazed at how keen some St Mirren fans are to justify Jim Goodwin's sending off, and to villify him further. As a fan, my natural reaction is to defend St Mirren and our players. I don't understand why 'the prosecution' in this case are so keen to press home the case against him.

I don't get that mentality at all.

That's fine. If the rules are followed to the letter of the law, most games will end up with 4 or 5 players sent off.

I'm amazed at how keen some St Mirren fans are to justify Jim Goodwin's sending off, and to villify him further. As a fan, my natural reaction is to defend St Mirren and our players. I don't understand why 'the prosecution' in this case are so keen to press home the case against him.

I'm not 'keen' to justify his sending off. But neither am I going to defend him simply because he plays in the stripes. He was stupid. He shouldn't have done it. To try and pretend otherwise is deluded. I wish he would learn to stop the nonsense, because I think he's a very useful player for us, but not if his arse is parked on the bench for most games!

Ill defend any St Mirren player that is wronged.

In this instance i wont defend Goodwin as the pictures(videos) are clear that he aimed a foreman at Sutton therefore bringing it all on himself.

Im not going to be a hypocrite and defend Goodwin for something i would be expecting a scott brown, lee mcculloch or manu pascale etc to be punished for

I'm not 'keen' to justify his sending off. But neither am I going to defend him simply because he plays in the stripes. He was stupid. He shouldn't have done it. To try and pretend otherwise is deluded. I wish he would learn to stop the nonsense, because I think he's a very useful player for us, but not if his arse is parked on the bench for most games!

How many times has Goodwin been sent off since he's played for us?

I have a feeling not close to the amount that's becoming close to hysteria on here.

Just a hunch.

Edited by faraway saint

I have a feeling not close to the amount that's becoming close to hysteria on here.

Just a hunch.

3 or 4 reds and two retrospective bans add to that the bans for going over the disciplinary threshold from bookings and whilst hes no Chic Charnely he certainly spends more time in the stand suspended than your average player

3 or 4 reds and two retrospective bans add to that the bans for going over the disciplinary threshold from bookings and whilst hes no Chic Charnely he certainly spends more time in the stand suspended than your average player

For his type of player, not great but "a liability"..............................hardly.

Cheers.thumbup2.gif

I'm amazed that folk would defend players, even if they knew the player was in the wrong, just because they play for the team they support.

Do these people continue acting like a 7 year old in other aspects of their life, or just when it's to do with football?

Just a hunch.

He doesn't need to be sent off though to be suspended....

50 or so yellow cards in a Saints strip.

I'm amazed that folk would defend players, even if they knew the player was in the wrong, just because they play for the team they support.

Do these people continue acting like a 7 year old in other aspects of their life, or just when it's to do with football?

I'm amazed folk (who call themselves st. Mirren supporters) fail to even admit the first yellow card Goodwin received wasn't even a foul!

But that would mean actually knowing what you are on about, which isn't as easy apparently as blaming Goodwin for all the worlds problems.

Maybe we should insist any of our players who are shown a card doing their job should be sacked?

Surely thats black & white enough for everyone?

I'm amazed folk (who call themselves st. Mirren supporters) fail to even admit the first yellow card Goodwin received wasn't even a foul!

But that would mean actually knowing what you are on about, which isn't as easy apparently as blaming Goodwin for all the worlds problems.

Maybe we should insist any of our players who are shown a card doing their job should be sacked?

Surely thats black & white enough for everyone?

:lol: Seek help, mate.

Whether something is a bookable offense shouldn't depend on whether hes caused injury to the opposition player - it's to do with the intent.

His intent was to crack John Sutton on the back of the head which is pathetic as f**k. It was a clear booking and Goodwin was an idiot.

It doesn't matter whether Sutton went down holding his head or not.

Players should be well aware that if they do this (or intentionally smash someone in the face when going up for a header, or punch someone in the stomach) that if they get caught, they're at least going in the book. Goodwin can be a good player for us & I think we need a defensive midfielder to let McGinn & McLean play but he can't help himself with this embarrassing off the ball shit.

If fans can't accept the game has changed since the Aber days then they should probably stop watching football. It's never going back to those days. They're well gone & Goodwin should know this.

I think you've quoted the wrong post.

Either that or you've managed to "read" my post with your eyes shut.