Jim Goodwin Liability

I'd like to see McGinn and McLean own the two central berths at the expense of Goodwin.

Think they work better with a holding midfielder behind them. Allows them to express themselves a bit more. I'd like to see us try and sign someone that fits that role.

He doesn't have to be cute, but he could be more sensible. He know he's a marked man, yet he keeps on giving referees the opportunity to card him. For the sending off against Hibs, okay there was no contact, but why did he jump into a challenge like that in the opposition half?

We can put pressure on referees through the media, but will that have much effect? The only solutions I can see are Jim himself being a bit more controlled on the park and TC taking him off if it looks like he might be sent off.

Or, a solution might be to get referees who can administer more consistent, and correct, decision-making.

The difficulty is, Jim Goodwin's challenges appear to based on his reputation, as opposed to the actual challenge / foul, a la the Hibs red card you reference. The referee yesterday doesn't make eye contact when 'explaining' the yellow cards. Make of that what you will, but, to me, suggests that he lacks the conviction in his decision making. As someone earlier alluded to, Keith Lasley and John McGinn committed more fouls than anyone else on the park.

BBC highlights show it clearly. The guy isn't a legend, he's a f**king coward.

A St Mirren cup winner, and captain no less, isn't a club legend? Ok bye1.gif

Wasn't the worst challenge but when you're a so called "marked man" and on a yellow card that was f**king stupid.

And yet, worse challenges do not meet the same severity of punishment. This is not Jim Goodwin's fault. The challenge itself is one that you'll see many times in Scotland's top flight and go unpunished; the fact that no Motherwell players, given who made the challenge, didn't claim speaks volumes for me.

I'd like to see McGinn and McLean own the two central berths at the expense of Goodwin.

Does Goodwin now hold the record for the most sendings off in a Saints shirt?

As I said earlier, that was tried at Carlisle and was a disaster!

Absolute ridiculous from Goodwin, he's too much of a liability for us. We need to push on and bring in a new holding midfielder, he's finished.

Overreact much?!

Unnecessary for anyone to do that with their arm. To do it on a yellow card when your name is Jim Goodwin? Brainless.

I'm glad we don't defend our players when they are clearly in the wrong.

He uses his elbows too freely during games , this was a bookable offence.

To be fair on Motherwell , they were not overreacting and seemed as surprised as Goodwin ( who shouldn't of been)

I'm glad we don't defend our players when they are clearly in the wrong.

He uses his elbows too freely during games , this was a bookable offence.

To be fair on Motherwell , they were not overreacting and seemed as surprised as Goodwin ( who shouldn't of been)

If they thought there'd been anything in it, they absolutely would have tried to make something out of it - as they, and Lasley in particular, tried to do several times earlier in the game.

Ref is looking right at it and gives nothing. Sutton clearly doesn't think there was anything wrong with it.

From what was said earlier on though the McCall side linesman was wetting himself at the thought of what he'd just seen.

Really stupid from Jim, but there's not a hope in hell that anyone else on the pitch would have received a yellow for that.

His first foul wasn't as bad as a similar one John Sutton did about 10 minutes later.

Of course, no action (not even a warning) for Sutton.

Jim is unfortunately a marked man, and the officials don't seem to be inclined to treat him the same way they do other players.

But Suttons could have been seen as a forwards challenge.Aye right.Watch Goodies challenge again.He clearly wins the ball.

But Suttons could have been seen as a forwards challenge.Aye right.Watch Goodies challenge again.He clearly wins the ball.

He does make contact with the ball, but it's probably still a foul.

Sutton's was actually a lot worse - and of course - nothing awarded.

If other players were treated the way Jim was, very very few games would finish 11 v 11.

Was at the game yesterday and Goody got booked for his first tackle. Lasley and Sutton had both committed 3 fouls each by then. Didn't see 2nd incident, but he should have been taken off by then as he had become ineffective.

I like him in the team but he really needs to look at himself.

PS the poster the put Goody and Billy Abercromby in the same sentence please go and see your doctor asap

Oh right it was alright foe Abercromby to be that type of player but not Goodwin? Wish more saints players had same balls, when needed. In my eyes both of then saints heros..

Seriously some saints fans want to get a grip of themselves. Read into that the way you think. We laugh at Celtic fans

cos they think their the best fans in the world, one thing for sure we're def not.

So, we should defend a coward? Oooh, I know, all the players should elbow someone in the neck from behind, punch them off the ball or crack them one as they go past. If we see another player do it then it's condemnation, oooh he's scum, boo him mercilessly etc. One of ours do it and we're supposed to have a f**king ticker tape parade and hoist the player shoulder high.

I think it's those blindly defending Jim who need to get a grip.

Or, a solution might be to get referees who can administer more consistent, and correct, decision-making.

The difficulty is, Jim Goodwin's challenges appear to based on his reputation, as opposed to the actual challenge / foul, a la the Hibs red card you reference. The referee yesterday doesn't make eye contact when 'explaining' the yellow cards. Make of that what you will, but, to me, suggests that he lacks the conviction in his decision making. As someone earlier alluded to, Keith Lasley and John McGinn committed more fouls than anyone else on the park.

A St Mirren cup winner, and captain no less, isn't a club legend? Ok bye1.gif

And yet, worse challenges do not meet the same severity of punishment. This is not Jim Goodwin's fault. The challenge itself is one that you'll see many times in Scotland's top flight and go unpunished; the fact that no Motherwell players, given who made the challenge, didn't claim speaks volumes for me.

As I said earlier, that was tried at Carlisle and was a disaster!

Well said. Yer all acting like opposing fans ? WTF is wrong with you, would to have to rely on any of you lot to back me if we were mates !!

Overreact much?!

Edited by TC7

Having watched the tv highlights last night, it looks like JG has his arm up to protect himself from catching a stray head in the face from Sutton as he goes to head the ball. Quite why he then thrusts it forward into Suttons neck only he knows.

Ffs!!