Jim Goodwin Liability

when I first saw the incident I started to type on here, and on BobbyF's FB page, about how terrible a decision it was to book JG for that nothing incident...."a total disgrace" I blustered.

But then I watched it again and saw the left elbow/forearm come sharply forward and catch Sutton on the head..... I don't think that was caused by the momentum of the challenge so we can only assume it was a deliberate "wee message" or a dull yin.

and very sadly I have to admit it looks like the yellow card was deserved......

a verrrry sharp eyed linesman that spotted it mind you and he possibly wouldn't have with other players.....but, it happenedsad.png

maybe a wee bit of the Suarrez in it right enough.

I think both incidents merited yellows. Like FJ I had to replay the Sutton incident a couple of times but he definitely hit Sutton quite unnecessarily. The ref didn't rush it and had time to think. When you are already on a yellow it was a crazy thing to do. Jim's been a great servant to St.Mirren but he has become a bit of a liability. Can he not learn to rein it in a bit? I don't swallow the witch hunt bit. He brought the reputation on himself and he has to live with it, like it or not. I want St.Mirren to have a good season and I want Jim to be part of it so I hope he sorts it out.

I'd like to say to all the Goody knockers.....

Dry yir feckin eyes and knickers ffs.

Football is a contact sport, every team needs at least one enforcer to put it about, break up play, drive the team forward.

Goody is just that "too goody"!

He's no sly and sleekit like some, he doesn't feign injury after crunching someone, unlike Elbows McCulloch, or Spot Brown!

Who incidentally are both feckin heroes to their support, and have been getting away with GBH on the pitch for years.

He is what he is, a competitor, a battler, a double hard bastard midfielder who nobody wants to come up against.

Aber is rightly remembered as a hero among saints fans, and he could get sent off more than once in the same game!

I look forward to Goody doing his porridge and coming out all elbows flailing...!

Anyone that invokes Neil Smelly-on to call him "A Fanny" for out muscling one of his team has to be a f**king legend!

C'mon support our man and f**k em tae the rest!

I'd like to say to all the Goody knockers.....

Dry yir feckin eyes and knickers ffs.

Football is a contact sport, every team needs at least one enforcer to put it about, break up play, drive the team forward.

Goody is just that "too goody"!

He's no sly and sleekit like some, he doesn't feign injury after crunching someone, unlike Elbows McCulloch, or Spot Brown!

Who incidentally are both feckin heroes to their support, and have been getting away with GBH on the pitch for years.

He is what he is, a competitor, a battler, a double hard bastard midfielder who nobody wants to come up against.

Aber is rightly remembered as a hero among saints fans, and he could get sent off more than once in the same game!

I look forward to Goody doing his porridge and coming out all elbows flailing...!

Anyone that invokes Neil Smelly-on to call him "A Fanny" for out muscling one of his team has to be a f**king legend!

C'mon support our man and f**k em tae the rest!

Erm, I'm pretty sure we'd all love to cheer and support our heroic enforcer hard man... Kinda' difficult when he's sitting in the stands after a snide forearm to the back of soneone's napper which saw his team-mates go down to ten men, forced his manager to alter the formation, and waste a substitution.

Hard man enforcer. Aye, right.

Erm, I'm pretty sure we'd all love to cheer and support our heroic enforcer hard man... Kinda' difficult when he's sitting in the stands after a snide forearm to the back of soneone's napper which saw his team-mates go down to ten men, forced his manager to alter the formation, and waste a substitution.

Hard man enforcer. Aye, right.

So you'd slag off Aber as well then? Edited by Lord Pityme

when I first saw the incident I started to type on here, and on BobbyF's FB page, about how terrible a decision it was to book JG for that nothing incident...."a total disgrace" I blustered.

But then I watched it again and saw the left elbow/forearm come sharply forward and catch Sutton on the head..... I don't think that was caused by the momentum of the challenge so we can only assume it was a deliberate "wee message" or a dull yin.

and very sadly I have to admit it looks like the yellow card was deserved......

a verrrry sharp eyed linesman that spotted it mind you and he possibly wouldn't have with other players.....but, it happenedsad.png

maybe a wee bit of the Suarrez in it right enough.

While I agree that Jim did use a forearm either to defend himself from the backward movement of Sutton or otherwise but watch the incident again paying particular attention to the farsdie linesman. At NO time does he raise his arm to flag for a misdemeanour. This makes me wonder why he suddenly decided, after McGinn fouled, that any infringement took place.

So you'd slag off Aber as well then?

Not slagging Aber, Souness, John Greig, Roy Aitken... Or any other talented hard men I've seen in my lifetime. I wouldn't even mention Jim Goodwin in the same sentence as Aber'.

I want Goodwin to stop the snide shite, the un-necessary pish that is costing him personally, and his team-mates and manager. Simple as that.

Not slagging Aber, Souness, John Greig, Roy Aitken... Or any other talented hard men I've seen in my lifetime. I wouldn't even mention Jim Goodwin in the same sentence as Aber'.

I want Goodwin to stop the snide shite, the un-necessary pish that is costing him personally, and his team-mates and manager. Simple as that.

Sorry this is obviously the fan-boy thread, and i through compunction i can only comment and respond on the FAN thread regarding the Legend Jim Goodwin... Toodle pip.

So you'd slag off Aber as well then?

I'd say it's worth bearing in mind that Billy played for us in the late seventies and eighties, last kicking a ball for St Mirren in 1988. That's 26 years ago. The game has moved on in so many way, including how officials manage the game (refs and active involvement from assistant refs (linesmen) and fourth officials). Moreover, the media coverage of matches is incomparable (multiple cameras at every game, social media etc). The modern player needs to adapt.

Someone like Jim G is always going to polarise opinion, however personally I'd be cautious about drawing parallels with players from a different era. It's not apples with apples.

I'd say it's worth bearing in mind that Billy played for us in the late seventies and eighties, last kicking a ball for St Mirren in 1988. That's 26 years ago. The game has moved on in so many way, including how officials manage the game (refs and active involvement from assistant refs (linesmen) and fourth officials). Moreover, the media coverage of matches is incomparable (multiple cameras at every game, social media etc). The modern player needs to adapt.

Someone like Jim G is always going to polarise opinion, however personally I'd be cautious about drawing parallels with players from a different era. It's not apples with apples.

You'll need tae see a doctor tae get them fence splinters plucked oot yir erse

While I agree that Jim did use a forearm either to defend himself from the backward movement of Sutton or otherwise but watch the incident again paying particular attention to the farsdie linesman. At NO time does he raise his arm to flag for a misdemeanour. This makes me wonder why he suddenly decided, after McGinn fouled, that any infringement took place.

The noise of the crowd influenced the far side linesman.

He was weak. He is weak. He was a week late.

Watched Kris Boyd clean out the Hearts keeper and Andy Walker claimed it was down to the conditions!!! Obviously no action taken against Sevco's fattest striker. Meanwhile 6 Hearts bookings, most of which were for innocuous fouls. As for Goodwin, he is being forced out of the game by a mixture of reputation and poor refereeing. He's no angel but the majority of his cards are for very little. Had he slid in on a keeper like Boyd did, the press would be demanding severe punishment and a lengthy ban. Imagine Abercrombie in today's game. He would be sin died!

The question is can jim Goodwin change his ways? The system will not change to suit him or us. Whether we like it or not the days of " dishing it out" are over with every incident microanalysed. He must change or go under it's that simple. He obviously forgets he's on the telly and his committment is commendable but it's costing us over and over again.

The question is can jim Goodwin change his ways? The system will not change to suit him or us. Whether we like it or not the days of " dishing it out" are over with every incident microanalysed. He must change or go under it's that simple. He obviously forgets he's on the telly and his committment is commendable but it's costing us over and over again.

Was gonna post along these lines - JG was a major player (sic) in both of our good spells last season and I feel he's still got a season or two (at least) left at our level yet his value to the club is lessened by the number of games he is unavailable.

Trying to put a positive spin on events maybe it will remind him where to draw the line.

To me it looked like he put his forearm out expecting Sutton to back in to him, Sutton didn't and Jim's forearm clttered him in the neck. If you think he was going in to do anything other than win the header then why does he still flick his head as though he's expecting to get to it first?

Goodwin forearms Sutton in the neck. Anyone defending him or trying to find an alternate scenario that would allow him to escape serious critisim is blinded by SMFC loyalty to be honest.

This is another occasion that JG has let St.Mirren down and its about time he's dropped from the side and a replacement for his position sourced.

When I was told about the incident - and I was the first to mention it on here - by my neighbour, he said it was the MAIN stand assistant who saw the incident. He was sitting behind the St Mirren dug out at the time. I didn't notice any flagging either but then these days there isn't much of a need for that. He would be perfectly able to talk to the referee over their headsets.