Jim Goodwin Liability

Watched Kris Boyd clean out the Hearts keeper and Andy Walker claimed it was down to the conditions!!! Obviously no action taken against Sevco's fattest striker. Meanwhile 6 Hearts bookings, most of which were for innocuous fouls. As for Goodwin, he is being forced out of the game by a mixture of reputation and poor refereeing. He's no angel but the majority of his cards are for very little. Had he slid in on a keeper like Boyd did, the press would be demanding severe punishment and a lengthy ban. Imagine Abercrombie in today's game. He would be sin died!

f**k off. The officials saw the indicent and called it correctly. How you can claim he was sent off by poor refereeing is beyond me. Is a poor football official really one that CAN actually see

Goodwin forearms Sutton in the neck. Anyone defending him or trying to find an alternate scenario that would allow him to escape serious critisim is blinded by SMFC loyalty to be honest.

This is another occasion that JG has let St.Mirren down and its about time he's dropped from the side and a replacement for his position sourced.

John Sutton does not react like a man who has just been whacked in the neck from behind. Not remotely.

Watched Kris Boyd clean out the Hearts keeper and Andy Walker claimed it was down to the conditions!!! Obviously no action taken against Sevco's fattest striker. Meanwhile 6 Hearts bookings, most of which were for innocuous fouls. As for Goodwin, he is being forced out of the game by a mixture of reputation and poor refereeing. He's no angel but the majority of his cards are for very little. Had he slid in on a keeper like Boyd did, the press would be demanding severe punishment and a lengthy ban. Imagine Abercrombie in today's game. He would be sin died!

Well said that man.

Anyone can look at individual incidents in a game and assess them as bookings. What's more relevant is to assess how the game as a whole is being refereed, and how those decisions fit with how the ref is controlling the game in general.

Stephen McManus brought down Kenny McLean in the first 15mins because he knew his team was in trouble had McLean been allowed to continue. Foul but no booking according to Calum Murray. Ellis Plummer carried the ball pass a couple of players and got caught late after he'd made a pass. No booking according to Murray. Jim Goodwin slides in and catches someone. That's a booking!

He's treated differently from other players and that's not the way the game is meant to be refereed. To me, some St Mirren fans seem far too eager to do our own club and players down at times.

No point blaming the referee or what other players may or may not have done during games.

Only one person to blame for this and that is Jim Goodwin.

I hope the management team have laid down a very strict disciplinary code of conduct for this season and he is hit hard in the pocket for his indiscipline.

So no point in ever complaining about any blatant refereeing inconsistency, no complaining about a St Mirren player being treated differently from anyone else on the park, no point in highlighting that some opposition players and managers are doing their level best to single him out?

Des McKeown wrote last season that the singling out of Jim Goodwin had been a disgraceful episode for Scottish football. He'd be probably surprised at the number of St Mirren fans who seem to think that it's all Goodwin's own fault and that the 'witchhunt' is justified.

So, we should defend a coward? Oooh, I know, all the players should elbow someone in the neck from behind, punch them off the ball or crack them one as they go past. If we see another player do it then it's condemnation, oooh he's scum, boo him mercilessly etc. One of ours do it and we're supposed to have a f**king ticker tape parade and hoist the player shoulder high.

I think it's those blindly defending Jim who need to get a grip.

All about opinions, coward a bit strong.

Well said that man.

Anyone can look at individual incidents in a game and assess them as bookings. What's more relevant is to assess how the game as a whole is being refereed, and how those decisions fit with how the ref is controlling the game in general.

Stephen McManus brought down Kenny McLean in the first 15mins because he knew his team was in trouble had McLean been allowed to continue. Foul but no booking according to Calum Murray. Ellis Plummer carried the ball pass a couple of players and got caught late after he'd made a pass. No booking according to Murray. Jim Goodwin slides in and catches someone. That's a booking!

He's treated differently from other players and that's not the way the game is meant to be refereed. To me, some St Mirren fans seem far too eager to do our own club and players down at times.

The Plummer one is when he was caught very very late by Elliot Ness,sorry Keith Lasley(Untouchable).It was a very good spot by the Lino Goodwin's forearm on Sutton who to his credit never made a meal of it.Goodwin has brought it on himself with his assault on Armstrong and is getting punished for every single thing what others get away with.He's a marked man i'm afraid and it ain't going to change

O.K Jim Goodwin has f**ked up again and some people on here defend him and some want shot of him.

But at the end of the day he is not a good football player as his passing is weak and he tries to many hollywood passes that never seem to benefit the team.

Far too many incidents of him seeming to want to hurt opposition players with crude challenges and flying elbows.

He falls to the ground... ? wacko.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Never takes his eyes off the ball, gets straight back up and gets back involved on the game.

Doesn't grab or hold his neck, doesn't even look at Goodwin, doesn't shout or complain or appeal for a foul.

Amazing restraint from someone who just received a forearm smash to the neck!

Or maybe, it just looks worse than whatever it was.

Goodwin has been received 3 red cards while with Saints for lashing out with his fist or arm. We can ill afford for him to be continually suspended.

He is letting his teammates, club and supporters down by his actions. I don't dispute that other teams are making a meal out of challenges involving Goodwin, but those 3 incidents alone where he was sent off for punches or use of the forearm were all completely unacceptable.

And yet 'Elbows' McCulloch is a feckin legend to Sevco fans and he's been doing it for years......

Never takes his eyes off the ball, gets straight back up and gets back involved on the game.

Doesn't grab or hold his neck, doesn't even look at Goodwin, doesn't shout or complain or appeal for a foul.

Amazing restraint from someone who just received a forearm smash to the neck!

Or maybe, it just looks worse than whatever it was.

https://vine.co/v/MV0WZ1vipKQ

f**king no idea why you're trying to defend him here. It's as blatant as it can be as shown in the above video. He forearms Sutton in the neck, Sutton hits the deck. Play stopped, JG sent off.

People spend all summer criticising World Cup players for play acting but now are saying Goodwin was innocent cos John Sutton didn't make a meal of the incident.

Unbelievable.

I don't think they are.

I think they're commenting on the fact that Goodwin's "assault" was fairly harmless in it's effect, and that no pain nor immediate injury was suffered by Sutton.

FWIW, Goodwin's action was stupid beyond belief, but the intent was worse than the end result. In the big scheme of things it was a "powderpuff" challenge compared to some of the elbows I've witnessed by other players, that our uber vigilant officials an compliance officer seemed to have missed.

Goodwin, when he sticks to football, is a great asset to the team. However, his off the ball shite and needless tackles are making him a liability and arguably, cost us at least a point on Saturday.

https://vine.co/v/MV0WZ1vipKQ

f**king no idea why you're trying to defend him here. It's as blatant as it can be as shown in the above video. He forearms Sutton in the neck, Sutton hits the deck. Play stopped, JG sent off.

Ffs...I base my opinion on what I saw and John Sutton's reaction. He doesn't react like he was fouled.

Therefore it must look worse than whatever it was obviously. Your more outraged at me on a fans forum than Sutton was after the incident. Says it all.

And yet 'Elbows' McCulloch is a feckin legend to Sevco fans and he's been doing it for years......

So, we're to be like Rangers fans now? f**k off!

Jim said, last season, that he plays hard, expects the same and gets in your face. That's all fair enough if you're not punching someone off the ball, cowardly smashing someone from behind or sliding in on someone who is already down.

I don't care about McCulloch, Black, Lasley, Barton, Fellaini or any other thug and the actions of their fans. I care that we have a player on the park who would rather punch, smash or clear out a player for no reason rather than just play his position.

I don't think they are.

I think they're commenting on the fact that Goodwin's "assault" was fairly harmless in it's effect, and that no pain nor immediate injury was suffered by Sutton.

FWIW, Goodwin's action was stupid beyond belief, but the intent was worse than the end result. In the big scheme of things it was a "powderpuff" challenge compared to some of the elbows I've witnessed by other players, that our uber vigilant officials an compliance officer seemed to have missed.

Goodwin, when he sticks to football, is a great asset to the team. However, his off the ball shite and needless tackles are making him a liability and arguably, cost us at least a point on Saturday.

Whether something is a bookable offense shouldn't depend on whether hes caused injury to the opposition player - it's to do with the intent.

His intent was to crack John Sutton on the back of the head which is pathetic as fuck. It was a clear booking and Goodwin was an idiot.

It doesn't matter whether Sutton went down holding his head or not.

Players should be well aware that if they do this (or intentionally smash someone in the face when going up for a header, or punch someone in the stomach) that if they get caught, they're at least going in the book. Goodwin can be a good player for us & I think we need a defensive midfielder to let McGinn & McLean play but he can't help himself with this embarrassing off the ball shit.

If fans can't accept the game has changed since the Aber days then they should probably stop watching football. It's never going back to those days. They're well gone & Goodwin should know this.

Opposition fans used to hate Shuggie Murray too, and Shuggie picked up his fair share of yellow cards, just like Jim does. However, I don't remember any snide off-the-ball type stuff from Shuggie. It was a bit like Paul Scholes - some of his tackles made you wince and were mis-timed and tough, but no funny business. All I want is for Jim to cut out any funny business and get on with his midfield role allowing McGinn and McLean to perform further forward.

His intent was to crack John Sutton on the back of the head which is pathetic as fuck.

Oh FFS... Mystic Meg is among us!!!

Exactly HOW do you know his intent?

Personally i think he was trying to push Sutton to put him off his jump. .. but i may be wrong... ...

I don't have your "gift"!

Opposition fans used to hate Shuggie Murray too, and Shuggie picked up his fair share of yellow cards, just like Jim does. However, I don't remember any snide off-the-ball type stuff from Shuggie. It was a bit like Paul Scholes - some of his tackles made you wince and were mis-timed and tough, but no funny business. All I want is for Jim to cut out any funny business and get on with his midfield role allowing McGinn and McLean to perform further forward.

Does JG indulge in snide off the ball stuff? Isn't it usually a daft arm up here, or ill-timed lunge there?

I'm not excusing what he does, but it doesn't seem to be maliceaforethought,.

Oh FFS... Mystic Meg is among us!!!

Exactly HOW do you know his intent?

Personally i think he was trying to push Sutton to put him off his jump. .. but i may be wrong... ...

I don't have your "gift"!

:lol:

Aye you're right. We don't know anyone's intent at any time.

Maybe he was trying to tickle Jennings in the stomach when it looked like he punched him. WE'LL NEVER KNOW!

:lol:

Aye you're right. We don't know anyone's intent at any time.

Maybe he was trying to tickle Jennings in the stomach when it looked like he punched him. WE'LL NEVER KNOW!

Punched?

Bloody hell.

For the millionth time... stop exaggerating!

Edited to add... Jennings?

Edited by BuddieinEK

But I've already told you Meg... i don't have your gift!

I am restricted to the mere human capacity of reading words and taking them literally.

How was i to know you don't mean what you say?

;)

ETA

How long ago was that now?

Was he punished for it?

Edited by BuddieinEK