Cheesy

As much as I've always wanted Cheesy to succeed, last night confirmed to me that he doesn't have it at this level. I'm not just talking about his footballing ability but his mental strenght too. He was visibly affected by that 15 minute period he endured just after half time. Centre half is an unforgiving position - you don't have time to feel sorry for yourself. Petulant wingers and strikers can get away with it to a degree but not when you're sitting at the heart of the defence. I also think that the assured performance dislayed by Plummer didn't help Cheesy's cause.

I have no doubt that without Goodwin in attendance the lightweight midfield last night didn't help things but that just means that you have to step up and take command. I don't think he's got it.

I'd love to be proved wrong......

I'm afraid I agree 100%. I'd love to be convinced by Cheesy - he's a local boy, Saints fan and seems like a decent guy - however, there is no room for sentiment when we are scrambling for points and I think Wednesday night showed how out of his depth he can look against very average opposition. The age point is valid - he has shown glimpses of quality, but he isn't a young boy anymore he should be approaching the peak of his career over the next 2-3 years yet he is woefully inconsistent and still prone to mind numbing basic errors.

Hate to say it but if we have any aspirations to be a top 6 side rather than one battling relegation every year we need a better centre half.

Edited by Lizard King

First of all am gonae just say that aye his performance wasnae so good but there is nae need for half the slagging the boy get ffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He goes out there week after week playing for the team hes supported aw his life and tries his best and aw everyone ever does is gee him sh*t for it.

Ive never heard a player get such a hard time as whit Chessey does,some lad sat near me the other night was shouting something about "GO DIE IN A FIRE!" about him,theres nae need hes trying his best for YOUR fuc*ing ya wankers lol.gif

YOU get on that pitch then and take all that abuse and dae a better job why dont ye!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by pandapie

First of all am gonae just say that aye his performance wasnae so good but there is nae need for half the slagging the boy get ffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He goes out there week after week playing for the team hes supported aw his life and tries his best and aw everyone ever does is gee him sh*t for it.

Ive never heard a player get such a hard time as whit Chessey does,some lad sat near me the other night was shouting something about "GO DIE IN A FIRE!" about him,theres nae need hes trying his best for YOUR fuc*ing ya wankers lol.gif

YOU get on that pitch then and take all that abuse and dae a better job why dont ye!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whilst the abuse is ott and personal at times, I've heard others get much worse for doing their best.

Brian Hamilton.

Robert Dawson.

Mark McWalter.

Alex Bone.

Just some names that spring to mind. Cheesy is in good company!

Whilst the abuse is ott and personal at times, I've heard others get much worse for doing their best.

Brian Hamilton.

Robert Dawson.

Mark McWalter.

Alex Bone.

Just some names that spring to mind. Cheesy is in good company!

John Potter got a load of abuse too but I think Potter actually improved with abuse. .

Peter Mackie

His name was booed when the teams were getting announced before the game

Peter Mackie was one of the most naturally gifted footballers ever to come through the system at Celtic Park according to an old workmate of mine who was an ex-Celt and a part-time youth coach for them. Unfortunately, when he ran out in front of a crowd he just couldn't cope with the pressure and never lived up to his early promise.

Sergei proved that you can live off one good performance (away to Dunfermline in 1999) for about 3 seasons before everyone realises you're actually rubbish.

I remember after he left us he went on trial with some decent English clubs (Southampton & Millwall I think) & being astonished as he couldn't get a game (or at least play well) for a poor 1st division Saints team.

• 4 weeks later...

Needs dropped. Pretty embarrassing that our vice captain is our worse player by a distance. Continually getting caught under the ball when crosses come in and his first touch resembles a tackle.

I'd play Goodwin CB alongside Plummer, bring McGinn into the middle of the park and start Wylde wide left.

That a couple of goals long balls down the right both rightsided defenders to blame it needs to change Goodwin can play there but who plays right back think we need to startdefending from midfield McLean hasn't kicked a ball last year his shot at the Killie goal would have flew in glad to see mcginns tustle with defender

• 3 weeks later...