Adam Drury

linwood bud

Sounds like another promising signing. My only fear about the current transfer strategy is that the team is so young. You'll never win anything with kids :whistle

Unlike others who have opted for Chris Boyd, Kenny Miller, Black, McCulloch etc.

What I'm saying Andy (why do you keep changing your name ) passing game is more effective than your philosophy of booting the ball up the park only for defenders to sweep the ball up.

I'd say it's a combination of both. You need the ability to play the long 'out' ball effectively, and you also need to be able to kill a game stone dead sometimes by keeping hold of the ball. Captain S (or whatever he's called this week) has long since bored us all titless with his ramblings about the long ball game, but it's a mix of everything that we need to be able to offer.

I think we have adopted a more direct style this season (so far), but that doesn't mean blootering it up the park at every opportunity - it means using pace, playing into space, and trying to stretch teams. Wylde, for example, is clearly under instruction to get as much white paint on his boots as possible. This is a good thing, IMO - it offers our midfield and our strikers a permanent option out left that they can look for on the break.

I'm hoping that with the skill of Kenny and McGinn, the pace of Marwood and Wylde, and the height/presence of Thommo and Ball, we are basically offering a triple threat this season, and it should be difficult for teams to cope with that. As long as we look to mix our playing style up a bit more than maybe we did under Lennon.

What I'm saying Andy (why do you keep changing your name ) passing game is more effective than your philosophy of booting the ball up the park only for defenders to sweep the ball up.

You brought the subject up, not me... so I'll happily give you my response.

Passing the ball up the park only for the defenders to 'sweep up the ball' ... what difference does it make?... whistling.gif

Most goals come from a regain of possession in the last 3rd. How you actually get into the last 3rd is essentially irrelevant. Boot the ball up to the opposition defenders, pass it up the pitch to the opposition defenders - doesn't matter. Most goals come after the opposition defenders 'sweep the ball up'... then lose possession or give away a foul.

The key differences between booting it up the park as opposed to passing it up the park are:

1. You can get the ball into the attacking 3rd more often and more quickly by booting it up the pitch - hence creating mors goalscoring opportunities.

2. You may lose possession whilst attempting to pass it up the pitch, eg in your own defensive 3rd or the middle 3rd after 'sweeping the ball up'... and you then have a disorangised defence. If you boot it up the park you cut out most of the risk. Most passing moves break down within 5 passes anyway... its much easier to win the ball once than to string 5 passes together!

I would like to see pacey wingers like Adam Drury doing their business in the attacking third against disorganised defenders. Chasing after through balls, taking defenders on. I don't really like to see wingers bogged down in midfield against organised defences passing sideways or losing possession and putting us under pressure.

If you want to take on at this subject you'll need to do better than use meaningless phrases such as "quick passes" and "sweep the ball up".

Give me some stats and examples and argue your case. thumbup2.gif

you also need to be able to kill a game stone dead sometimes by keeping hold of the ball.

Keeping hold of the ball to kill a game stone dead is not a good idea. One slip (and most passing moves break down after 5 passes) and you could be history.

Best way to kill a game stone dead is to allow the opposition to keep hold of the ball and sit back and let them.

The youtube video about him is interesting, classes himself as a right midfielder and says when he plays right back he likes to get forward and get his crosses in.

With Wylde on one side and Drury on the other hopefully we'll have a lot of pace and crosses coming in from wide. Defenders are going to have a lot to worry about with 2 pacy wingers and Mclean and Mcginn coming through the middle too. Lets just hope Wylde has been practising his crossing/passing since Saturday.

ETA:

Hopefully we'l be playing him at right mid with Naismith behind him at RB.

Edited by irvine_buddie

Not in the least impressed with the "signings" made by the manager so far.Seems to be a combination of English non league players and reserves on loan from there as well.Craig obviously thinks highly of that standard of football,I dont. Meanwhile the punters are still being expected to fork out £20 a time to watch what is a bit of an experiment.Some are wanting this new fellow straight into the team tomorrow, lol.

Its also noticeable that barely half the team now is Scottish.

We are forced to recruit loan signings as we cannot afford to match the wages on offer from most English clubs.

Even Celt*c have signed 3 non Scots on loan so far this summer.

This is the way football operates in the modern world.

The days of having a team of Scots who are all permanent signings and stay with you for a number of seasons are long gone.

Not in the least impressed with the "signings" made by the manager so far.Seems to be a combination of English non league players and reserves on loan from there as well.Craig obviously thinks highly of that standard of football,I dont. Meanwhile the punters are still being expected to fork out £20 a time to watch what is a bit of an experiment.Some are wanting this new fellow straight into the team tomorrow, lol.

Any player who is tipped as one to watch by the current premier league champions is good enough for me.

If you don't like it then don't go to games!

Gies peace!!

That's why he's the manager and your not.

You couldn't have been at the game on Saturday then. I don't think there would've been many saints fans complaining about the performance from the players.

As already been mentioned if we keep playing like that we will do absolutely fine thus season.

Well let us hope that this young laddie signs as it is now clear that Tommy is always right so if Tommy wants him then we need to have him.

Now I cannot help but wish to be hit with a rhythm stick when I hear this boys name.

What is a rhythm stick?

Did his grandfather hit people with a rhythm stick?

Does anyone have a rhythm stick?

Gawn on show us yer rhythm stick!

Well let us hope that this young laddie signs as it is now clear that Tommy is always right so if Tommy wants him then we need to have him.

Now I cannot help but wish to be hit with a rhythm stick when I hear this boys name.

What is a rhythm stick?

Did his grandfather hit people with a rhythm stick?

Does anyone have a rhythm stick?

Gawn on show us yer rhythm stick!

Is it nice to be a lunatic?