Adam Drury Signs

The lad Celtic got from Man City hadn't played any first team football so Drury actually has more experience. Good bit of business by the club we just need a centre half to come in now.

Centre half and a holding midfielder and that's us, I reckon. Still hopeful we'll sign both...

Looks like threes a "Newton clause" in the deal http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/11407633.Southend_United_set_to_miss_out_on_signing_Manchester_City_defender_Adam_Drury_on_loan/

SOUTHEND United have missed out on a loan swoop for Manchester City defender Adam Drury.

Shrimpers boss Phil Brown had been keen to bring the youngster in on loan to provide cover and competition in the full-back positions.

But Drury has opted against making the switch and is now expected to join St.Mirren.

Adam feels playing in the Scottish Premier League will give him more exposure than playing in League Two, confirmed Brown.

However, Manchester City also wanted certain assurances about him playing and I wasnt prepared to give them that. I said I would give him a chance and that if he played well he would stay in the side, just like I do with all the loan players we bring in. Im not going to say anyone is definitely going to play because it doesnt work like that and I also dont think it would be fair on the players we already have at the club.

Sounds more like "We've been knocked back, so let's invent an excuse to appease the fans" Also, I find it quite strange that Newton had such a clause, but Adam Campbell didn't. More made up shite concerning players contracts perhaps.

Yeah, thinking about it now, would you prefer a ch or cover for Goodwin? Id probably go for the Goodwin cover.

I'd always have taken cover for Goodwin first anyway, but I love DMs thumbup2.gif

The fact remains we have lacked cover there since Shug left. The other fact remains that, with decent cover there (ie either JG or another, proper ball winner playing at DM) then the centre backs will not look half as exposed/bad as they sometimes do.

I can't believe anybody was surprised we capitulated against Hamilton with a midfield of McLean, McGinn and Brown. They are all fine players, I like the look of Brown, but not one of them is a spoiler and we were always going to look lightweight in there.

I'd always have taken cover for Goodwin first anyway, but I love DMs thumbup2.gif

The fact remains we have lacked cover there since Shug left. The other fact remains that, with decent cover there (ie either JG or another, proper ball winner playing at DM) then the centre backs will not look half as exposed/bad as they sometimes do.

I can't believe anybody was surprised we capitulated against Hamilton with a midfield of McLean, McGinn and Brown. They are all fine players, I like the look of Brown, but not one of them is a spoiler and we were always going to look lightweight in there.

I just can't understand why we've waited so long to address this issue.

We've not had anyone to challenge Goodwin for the defensive midfield position since who...Jon Robertson (who wasn't anywhere near good enough anyway)?

Personally, I'd like us to bring in a defensive midfielder & a centre half, but the defensive midfield position is the most important (IMO).

I'm not criticising the signing of Drury though as we were short on the right side of midfield & at right back too.