Adam Drury Signs

This.

If true, this type of signing is not what we should be looking at (no harm to the lad). EPL hand maidens? No thanks.

FFS indeed!

Yeah, I guess the 'if true' part is pertinent, though. Can we trust the words of a manager who has just failed to sign a target player? Remains to be seen, I suppose. I do agree, though: no player should ever, ever be guaranteed a place.

Edit @ Phil... true enough. At that point, though, didn't it feel like they were the only type of players we were signing?!

Edited by Magic Monkey

I think the thing about mason, Brady, Murray & Thomson is they were all different in a way.

mason was a sitting midfielder, Brady could create and could play wide, Murray & Thomson could press in attacking areas.

i remember they all played together in a 4 man midfield in that famous 2-0 win at falkirk where we won the battle in midfield and it gave Andy dorman the freedom to attack.

as good as they are individually, i wouldn't fancy a midfield of brown, McLean, mcginn & wylde to win such a game.

you need some balance, which is why its good that we got shot of mcgowan

but i think our midfield still needs another grafter to compliment our creative guys

look at successful teams in years gone by

Aberdeen had Simpson & cooper doing the dirty work for Strachan & weir

Dundee united had kirkwood & stark doing the dirty work for bannon & milne

and hearts had berry, mackay & black just being dirty..

I think the thing about mason, Brady, Murray & Thomson is they were all different in a way.

mason was a sitting midfielder, Brady could create and could play wide, Murray & Thomson could press in attacking areas.

i remember they all played together in a 4 man midfield in that famous 2-0 win at falkirk where we won the battle in midfield and it gave Andy dorman the freedom to attack.

as good as they are individually, i wouldn't fancy a midfield of brown, McLean, mcginn & wylde to win such a game.

you need some balance, which is why its good that we got shot of mcgowan

but i think our midfield still needs another grafter to compliment our creative guys

look at successful teams in years gone by

Aberdeen had Simpson & cooper doing the dirty work for Strachan & weir

Dundee united had kirkwood & stark doing the dirty work for bannon & milne

and hearts had berry, mackay & black just being dirty..

Spot on.

I was thinking about this the other day and the player I had in mind was Steven Thomson. We are crying out for a guy like him just now.

Edited to save re-quoting the whole thing, but agree with all of that post. I keep banging this drum - whether it's in defence of Goodwin, or just when having to point out that you can't take to the field with no DM.

It's basically footballing suicide. I think I'll explode if I ever read someone suggesting we have a midfield two of McGinn and McLean again.

People think Messi dragged Argentina to the World Cup final, but they'd have got nowhere near it if it wasn't for Mascherano. Messi would never have had the ball.

Once we get another midfield battler, who drops out?

only 2 from mcginn, McLean, drury & wylde csn play unless we switch to 1 up front

Is Wylde fit after hobbling off v Hammies ?

If he plays RB that's both last season "finds" dropped unless of course Naismith is moved into the centre. A midfield of Goodwin, McGinn, McLean and Drury would be OK or perhaps if Drury can play full back and midfield he might be the cover for (or even replacement for) Goodwin although he seems very young to be pitched staraight into that vital role ???

Is Wylde fit after hobbling off v Hammies ?

If he plays RB that's both last season "finds" dropped unless of course Naismith is moved into the centre. A midfield of Goodwin, McGinn, McLean and Drury would be OK or perhaps if Drury can play full back and midfield he might be the cover for (or even replacement for) Goodwin although he seems very young to be pitched staraight into that vital role ???

To be fair IMO Naismith could do with a seat on the bench, he's been poor in both the M'well and Hamilton games. In fact he's looked totally disinterested in both games

Quite impressed with the confidence some on this forum have, that an unknown, untried reserve player will walk straight into the Saints first team for a very important match.

Regardless,I feel this further weakened Saints team will suffer yet another reverse on Saturday, unfortunately.

Are you serious.In the Hamilton game the poor guy hardly got a kick of the ball everything was going down the left hand side don't know how many times I watched him screaming for the ball for it never to get to him it was as if he was invisable not one of our players seemed to notice he was on the park .

Are you serious.In the Hamilton game the poor guy hardly got a kick of the ball everything was going down the left hand side don't know how many times I watched him screaming for the ball for it never to get to him it was as if he was invisable not one of our players seemed to notice he was on the park .

It's all about perception and opinions

Hadn't he?? Newton made his debut playing from the start on 19 January, in a 4–1 home defeat to Ross County.

I bad! You are right!! He hadn't played any senior league football prior to joining us tho, only reserve/youth team stuff, so the crux of my point still applies, experience not always necessary. Edited by Buddy Marvellous